self discovery

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
abluesky

self discovery

Post by abluesky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Last night I had one of those moments.

I was sitting outside with the laptop, fired up Live, loaded a simple sinewave synth and just jammed on the keyboard. Used the built in speakers. Just exploring having fun.

Then Everything clicked.

And it all flowed out, like I was really using my plugins for the first time, even though one of them, I've been using for something like 8 years or more.

it felt like the first time I really understood, intuitively, how to make my tools work for me.

And I think this all happened because I really just got out of my head.

Stopped thinking about "saturation does this" "compressions does this" and went with feelings in my heart reacting to what I was composing.

I've taught people how to use Ableton for years now (been on Live since v1.5), but only last night really felt like I had taken my understanding deeper.

In retrospect, I think its because of paring down the tools I use, and also finding the right instruments and effects that inspire me.

Like UBK-1, PSP Echo, Live's Gate and Compressor, Valhalla Room, and my very first plugin, PSP Vintage Warmer.

The rest was two samples and two sine waves.

Over the last two weeks, I've made the best music of my life, and I feel like the secret was staring at me in the face all along, but I was too wrapped up in tech and ideas about what my music is supposed to sound like, rather than how it wants to sing.

I've been a part of forum for years, spent thousands on gear, hardware and software, and now really feel like I've found the joy in music making.

Just felt like sharing.

Rinsemeister

Re: self discovery

Post by Rinsemeister » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Respect and congratulations.

Hope you don't lose it............

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Um, didn't get wasted, don't know where you got that idea from...but thanks for the good vibes.

chasedobson

Post by chasedobson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:10 pm

funken wrote:cool, bit of a shame you had to get wasted to find yourself. I'm sure there are other routes.
haha...

very fatherly of you.

to the OP, congrats. its a good place to be, hold onto that.

merges

Post by merges » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Before the haters make it out. OP: Sweet! :D Keep going!!!

Vios

Post by Vios » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:15 am

Sounds like what I went through. I would describe my lesson as: compose first (write the music), produce later (apply the majority of effects, EQ, compression, etc.).

footsy

Post by footsy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:11 pm

It's fun isn't it!

I love learning a technique then months later I transition it into one of my songs because I really want THAT sound. That's my biggest high...

Or when everything works together and its a pure jam session, kinda like what you were talking about.

But funken, nothing wrong with having a beer or two while jamming out. Yes, just like everyting don't have crutches in order to get things done.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:19 pm

bravo, nice story...it think its the most positive thing i've ever read in this forum

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 pm

funken wrote:cool, bit of a shame you had to get wasted to find yourself. I'm sure there are other routes.
abluesky wrote:Um, didn't get wasted, don't know where you got that idea from...but thanks for the good vibes.
abluesky wrote:And I think this all happened because I really just got out of my head.
I think if you had said outside instead of out it would have been more clear.

Good for you though! :)
Image Image

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Yeah, I thought that on first read. English language is full expressions for getting drunk or high. You can hardly string 2 words together without hitting one.

But this is a great little story. Gives me hope, because after years I still think I'm forcing it a bit. Always thinking about what something needs to make it better.. Hope I have a similar moment.

I guess it's like learning to ski or something. At some point you stop thinking about where your weight is, what angle your feet are pointing and just go down the hill able to take in the view.

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:57 am

polyslax wrote:
I think if you had said outside instead of out it would have been more clear.

Good for you though! :)
Aha - I see.

What I mean is I stopped thinking about the process, analyzing, criticizing, and just went with my feelings and where the music took itself.

Almost like the music made itself, actually.

I'm glad some people could feel what I was saying.