please fix unwanted 'midi chase'

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
JeffreyCJohnson

Re: please fix unwanted 'midi chase'

Post by JeffreyCJohnson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:49 pm

jasper wrote:
Muzik 4 Machines wrote:since i dont plan them to change that behavior i always make sure every region starts and end with zeroing the controllers/pitch bends, tedious but efficient
well then...from this list:
cubase, fruityloops, logic, protools, acid, ableton live, digitalperformer, sonar, nuendo, reason.

You're saying AbletonLive is the only one that sees a benefit in having you go inside the envelopes of every new clip you create and draw a "0" for any controller that was recorded in the previous recording you did.
This Chase problem occurs in arrange view and in clips view.
it's not a feature request, man.
it's a fix.
from like...a long time ago in human evolution, when we realized that chasing midi events is pretty much never ever required. :)
if there won't be an on/off switch for midi chase, it should definitely default to OFF.
"from like...a long time ago in human evolution," - funny, but incorrect and irrelevant. The reason midi chase was added to sequencers was to have the same notes play back the same way when a sequence is looped or jumps back to a previous measure, beat, etc. Chase is not always needed, and not always wanted, but when it's needed it's needed. Adding that feature is both a feature request, and a fix to a problem that will correctly recreate the exact sequencer of midi data; the same messages in the same order, hence the terms "sequence" and "sequencer".

The two most often midi CC messages, pitch bend and mod wheel, are already defaulted to 0... the same condition as a clip with no envelope for those messages. When a loop-back occurs the sequencer ignores that fact, and that's not a midi chase thing, that's a design decision (or lack thereof).

The same logic applies to the length of a midi note and the usage of a time signature. Changing the denominator in a time signature should change the timing, and the length of a midi note when looping back is an exception that requires special attention that requires a user decision / configuration switch: should looping back trigger an all notes off on a channel or should the note-off event timing be maintained.

jasper

Post by jasper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 pm

i know. i'm just a cranky, frustrated, arse of donkey.

askondo

Post by askondo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:53 pm

+1

remute99

Post by remute99 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:57 pm

+1
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:07 am

This was such a frustration when micromanaging pitchbends my last track, and has been for as long as I can remember. On occasions, I've automated synths' transpose parameters instead, or even added Frequency Shifters and automated them. :/

Other envelopes, such as Auto Filter's frequency, don't behave this way; it's really confusing when you first come across this bug.

Actually, I just now discovered Live only handles pitch bends correctly, if the clips are right next to each other in arrangement. Once there's a gap them, it's the same nonsense. It happens with both native Live instruments, and 3rd party plugins.