s(m)exoscope

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rakim87

s(m)exoscope

Post by rakim87 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm trying to use this program to help aid my synthesizer education after seeing a video about it (http://vimeo.com/1309545) but ableton doesn't seem to recognize it.

I downloaded the program, had to use unarchiver to open it, and got this file with a weird face as an icon which is listed as a "VST plug-in" in it's information. I moved it to the VST folder and it doesn't get scanned in to ableton.

Spectrum doesn't seem to allow the same view I'm looking for, is there another program or did I miss something?
ImageImage

login

Re: s(m)exoscope

Post by login » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:47 pm

I use it and have no prolems with it, have you make a manual re-scan of your vst folder?

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:01 pm

I went to preferences and rescanned for plug-ins, not sure what you mean by manual rescan.

I'm on a mac and I'm not really sure if it's 32 or not, might be 64? I'm guessing.
ImageImage

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:56 pm

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=4

downloaded the os x version, seeing as i'm on a mac...

there are 2 versions. the audio unit version asks for an application when it's a .dmg file which normally just installs. the regular OSX version has a vst file which is what i tried putting in my vst folder and scanning for and ableton didn't pick it up. i've used plenty of other VSTs so that is unusual.

It's mentioned in this next link that there's another type of software used with it, not sure if that's necessary as a plug in to live though. I've tried demoing that software but the demo didn't work, on the first go at least. I'm still messing around with it, would be much easier if there was another type of freeware that does this though.

file:///Users/nicklag87/Downloads/s%28m%29exoscope_20031203_mac_OSX_VST-2/docs/index.html

*edit*

So, now I've gotten the demo of AudioMulch running, which is mentioned in that link, but I don't see the relevance of this and the s(m)exoscope running in ableton.
ImageImage

omutumo

Post by omutumo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:05 pm

I had the same problem. It doesn't work as a VST but it 'hides' in the 'Bram@smartelectonix' folder in the audio units folder.

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:37 pm

omutumo wrote:I had the same problem. It doesn't work as a VST but it 'hides' in the 'Bram@smartelectonix' folder in the audio units folder.

Did you find a way to use it?
I just want to view the waveform as I turn knobs so I can see what I'm doing ;_;
ImageImage

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:33 pm

funken wrote:I just checked. I just have the AU and it works fine.

32 bit is your version of Live. If you instal 64 bit Live these plugins that are just 32 bit won't work, that's why I asked. Don'y get the 64 bit Live unless you have more than 4 GB RAM and then you might get the 32 bit plugins working with jbridge.
Pretty sure I have 8 gb of RAM. What's the benefit of 64 bit? Think I'll skip that.

*edit* just googled that and i don't think i'd need the 64 bit version if it's only associated with memory limits because i don't use samples so my compositions aren't memory intensive.

Did you use another program to run it with or did it just open on it's own? (s(m)exoscope)
ImageImage

omutumo

Post by omutumo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Yes, my smexoscope works fine. Install the 'component' file into your components folder (rather than VST). It will appear under Audio Units (AU) in the plugins folder in Live, but it's in a folder called 'Bram@Smartelectonix'.

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:40 pm

omutumo wrote:Yes, my smexoscope works fine. Install the 'component' file into your components folder (rather than VST). It will appear under Audio Units (AU) in the plugins folder in Live, but it's in a folder called 'Bram@Smartelectonix'.

Thank you! Now it's installed properly. I didn't know anything about audio units, I've only used VST files so far.

Also, the instructions said you needed "modular software" or something and that threw me off.
Last edited by rakim87 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

stevemc

Post by stevemc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Having the exact same problem. btw had this on my old Mac, same issue with my newly rebuilt one.

I have the 32-bit version of Live 8. Have downloaded the VST & AU version of s(m)exoscope for Mac & installed in the appropriate folders. Still neither shows up after re-scanning plugins folders. What else can I check?

stevemc

Post by stevemc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Update: Got the AU version working after re-starting Ableton - rescanning was not enuff. VST still doesn't show up.

debrice

Post by debrice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:19 am

I am having issues with this too. I have downloaded to AU and have a folder with the manual and a component icon. However, nothing happens with Ableton, it is neither in my plugins or components section. I have scanned for it but, again, nothing.

Has anyone any info on how to install for the Mac? I could also do with some information on the "host folder" for plug ins. Some plugins go in automatically like Drumazon but others like this or Voxengo don't. I heard we should put these in a 'host folder' and install from there. This doesn't seem to work for me though...

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 am

It's not 64 bit.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 am

Dear everyone, the reason it's not showing up in your AU folder is because you need to use the 32 bit version of Live.

Thank you.

XOXO

debrice

Post by debrice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks for the replys. Does this mean downloading again or can I switch withing the Ableton I am running now?