Extend a clip / note so it doesn't just drop out

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Spechal

Extend a clip / note so it doesn't just drop out

Post by Spechal » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm very, very, new to music production and ableton. To my pleasure, it's fairly easy to make music once you've been listening to it and variations of the same kind for so long. I am also pleased that there are people out there/on here willing to help others out. But I digress...

The problem I am having is that in an arrangement, when the clip ends, it really ends and you can hear it if paying attention.

How do you guys n gals solve this issue? Do you make a second clip for the drop out? Do you somehow envelope(?) the ending with some effect? Is this side-chaining (which I need to read about). In the image below, you can see the green rectangle where I added a crash to make the other sound not sound horrible when it drops out. In the red area, I have no idea and is why I'm seeking the advice of others of any skill level.

Thanks for your advice and input in advance.

Oh, and I don't have any music theory experience either ... I downloaded a few charts that told me what the major and minor chords are which is why you see it at the bottom of the picture ... that's how new I am and need your assistance.

Spechal

Re: Extend a clip / note so it doesn't just drop out

Post by Spechal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks for your input!

The crash is the green area. I have't gotten around to (still takes me a while) to combining the reverse crash and the crash so right now on the start of bar 16 I start the reverse crash and at bar 1 I start the crash.

Spechal

Post by Spechal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:14 am

I found this page ... http://quadrophone.com/use-ableton-util ... envelopes/ ... which helped a ton on the red area I was talking about above.

Spechal

Post by Spechal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks to you and another person's advice and input, I've managed to get something half baked out of my head and out the door.

http://soundcloud.com/spechal-1/alpha

Much appreciated.

Vios

Post by Vios » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Transitions are one of the hardest parts of electronic music composition IMHO. Often using a white noise "sweep" noise works well at low volume, with it going up 4 or 8 bars up to the point of something dropping off and then coming down 2 or 4 bars. Some ideas for you:

Ideas for Breakdowns and Buildups (1 Hour!)

Sweeps, Whooshes, Builds – 3 Ways to make them