3 USB devices, 2 usb slots. What to do?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adamdegraff

3 USB devices, 2 usb slots. What to do?

Post by adamdegraff » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:23 pm

I use a late model macbook pro. I have 2 usb slots. 1 for my interface and one left. But my plan for my live show is to use an apc40 and a softstep foot controller. (I'm a classical turned indy/rock violinist, so I often times need my hands.) Anyway, I come from the world of Apple's Logic and have found that USB hubs don't always works so well. What do I do? I'm sure I'm not the only person in need of a rock solid way of hooking up multiple USB midi devices. I might even like to include a usb midi keyboard controller into my show as well. (gasp) Anybody have a good idea how to make that work in the most solid, reliable way possible?

Thank you.

sounddevisor

Re: 3 USB devices, 2 usb slots. What to do?

Post by sounddevisor » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 pm

A USB hub is probably your only option. Make sure it's powered, and you should be fine.

I use a MacBook Pro with two USB ports for live shows. I use one port for the dongle for my wireless mouse, and the other port is connected to a powered Belkin USB hub, which in turn connects to an APC40, a Maschine (or more recently, a QuNeo) and a MidiSport MIDI-USB interface. I have had no problems with any of the devices on the hub, under a wide variety of conditions.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:16 pm

sounddevisor wrote:A USB hub is probably your only option. Make sure it's powered, and you should be fine.
FWIW I use a 7 port cheapo Trust hub with windows and have never had any problems either.

adamdegraff

Post by adamdegraff » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Cool. Thanks all. That was really helpful.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:55 pm

make sure the usb hub doesn't drop you down to usb 1.1 or something - older ones do this.

make sure it's usb 2 at least all the way through otherwise it's slow.

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 pm

Buy this one with the future in mind. I can run tons of USB midi controllers, drives, peripherals, off of it no problem.... Other hubs all gave me problems before this one. You will love it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-USB-Port ... B00483WRZ6

adamdegraff

Post by adamdegraff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:15 pm

illsub1 wrote:Buy this one with the future in mind. I can run tons of USB midi controllers, drives, peripherals, off of it no problem.... Other hubs all gave me problems before this one. You will love it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-USB-Port ... B00483WRZ6
LOL, I just bought that one and it is awesome!!! Thanks for the tip though.