Background "Riser" sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theviewer1985

Background "Riser" sound

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:47 pm

There is alot of risers going on at the moment in dance music. I love them all. They are quite frequently, in your face, distorted, loud ever increasing pitch bends. But recently i am hearing quite mild ones. The trademark is it is very hollow sounding.

My educated guess is that its just some form of saw pitching up, drowned in reverb (maybe 100% wet) and then the secret ingredient that gives it that hollow sound is a phaser?

at 4:02 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvEp_rgzDj0

and more notably in

at 3:15 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaaVAvA0ybE

Anyone know how to create this?

If my guess is correct then what kind of initial sound should i start with, and most importantly how would i set the phaser up to get that hollow effect :-)

Cheers

MOSQUITOMAN

Re: Background "Riser" sound

Post by MOSQUITOMAN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi

Could this be it ?

UES SweepMachine

Is the only tool ever dedicated to create noise sweep. As for all the Electro Suite instruments, it's ultra easy to use: just trigger a MIDI note, select one of the four presets, set the number of bars you want for the sweep duration and that's it ! Three noise generators are available including a Sub Noise and a Metal one.

http://www.ultimatesoundbank.com/uvisc16.html

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:23 pm

I need one of these in my Kitchen. So dusty :/

theviewer1985

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:53 pm

MOSQUITOMAN wrote:Hi

Could this be it ?

UES SweepMachine

Is the only tool ever dedicated to create noise sweep. As for all the Electro Suite instruments, it's ultra easy to use: just trigger a MIDI note, select one of the four presets, set the number of bars you want for the sweep duration and that's it ! Three noise generators are available including a Sub Noise and a Metal one.

http://www.ultimatesoundbank.com/uvisc16.html
Possibly could do what i want.

But i cant test it, and cant hear a demo of it so not certain

Also creating this riser im confident can be done just a simply without a 3rd party instrument so im pretty keen on learning how :-)

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:41 pm

Its quite a rush the 3.15 sound. Sounds like a saw pitch bending up with a bandpass filter cut off sort of tracking the slope of the pitch bend. Theres also a high depth sine lfo modulating the pitch. And then another voice comes at maybe a fifth higher. I am listening a phone so could be wrong, but i reckon its a notch fiter rather than a phaser with cutoff freq going up at roughly the same rate at the bandpass .. but at a higher frequency. Theres also white noise in there. Thats how i'd try to make that sound.

theviewer1985

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:54 pm

oddstep wrote:Its quite a rush the 3.15 sound. Sounds like a saw pitch bending up with a bandpass filter cut off sort of tracking the slope of the pitch bend. Theres also a high depth sine lfo modulating the pitch. And then another voice comes at maybe a fifth higher. I am listening a phone so could be wrong, but i reckon its a notch fiter rather than a phaser with cutoff freq going up at roughly the same rate at the bandpass .. but at a higher frequency. Theres also white noise in there. Thats how i'd try to make that sound.

Interesting! Using a notch filter to follow up with the pitch... yes i like that idea. Im going to try it!

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:22 pm

The sound is white noise through a flanger with no movement. Adjust settings till you get the low hollow tubey sound. Then resample or bounce down a few seconds of it then import the resulting audio file into a sampler, set the pitch bend range to 12 in the sampler then just play it in raising the pitch bend.

Another trick is to create a sheppard tone using a few instances of the sampler patch so it goes up forever!!
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 pm

2be wrote:Some ideas what you can do in build ups (combine as you like, although sometimes less can be more!):

- open filter cutoff on a pad/chord/noise/sample/drums/bass/whatever
- combining both a lowpass and a highpass filter for ultra-smooth filter automation
- rising white noise
- automated sidechain compression after the drop
- drum fills (doesn't always have to be the cliche snare roll, but sometimes it fits and doesn't sound cheesy)
- increasing wet of a delay send
- increasing feedback of a delay send
- automating the delay time, especially when unsycned and in repitch mode
- increasing reverb level (I usually have a Reverb FX send with pretty long decay and roomsize, very convenient to automate)
- drastic cut just when the song drops
- cutting audio just a beat earlier for silence, to make the drop sound more huge
- short vocal sample just before the drop
- decreasing loop time of a sample further and further
- pitching the loop up or down at the end of the build up
- rising sine
- reverse reverb (render a sound, e.g. a stab or a crash, with a huge reverb; then reverse the sample and insert so it stops on the drop. maybe cut the end of the sample)
- bit reduction automation
- decay automation of drums/synths/samples/whatever
- simple volume automation
- musical changes of the instruments
- automation of layers of a sound

there's so much stuff you can do, just a few ideas. Just experiment and you'll get comfortable with these effects and try out new things!

theviewer1985

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:57 pm

kev herb wrote:The sound is white noise through a flanger with no movement. Adjust settings till you get the low hollow tubey sound. Then resample or bounce down a few seconds of it then import the resulting audio file into a sampler, set the pitch bend range to 12 in the sampler then just play it in raising the pitch bend.

Another trick is to create a sheppard tone using a few instances of the sampler patch so it goes up forever!!
Havent tried this yet, but i am pretty certain this is what i am after just by reading it. It seems correct. I always struggle to decipher between phaser and flanger.. duh!

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 pm

i tried it. it works. also tried looped noise from operator into a flanger. also good