Don't know where to start with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Techboy331

Don't know where to start with Ableton

Post by Techboy331 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi, I've just gotten myself a bit settled with Ableton. Well, what I mean by settled is I bought an APC40, an AKAI MPK25, and some nice Studio Monitor headphones. I am new to ableton, and music production in general.

I have the Ableton Education version, because I got a student discount. It seems to not have come with many features, such as operator, analog, among others. Should I just go through the library on ableton's website and buy all the things I'm missing? Is it really that worth it? Also, what would you recommend buying in order to get started?

Thanks!

yur2die4

Re: Don't know where to start with Ableton

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:24 am

Learn the basics on that version. Using premade audio loops is a good introduction. The fun in that only lasts so long.

Try using any of the instruments in conjunction with the loops.

Maybe even use some songs you like in the mix if it lets you.

Once you are comfortable with all the basics of that, I'd say try the demo. It is bigger.

You can register for a 30 day free trial I think.

Go crazy on that and then see if you prefer to have the instruments from the Suite or not (I'd say yes, they cooperate very nicely with Ableton)

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 am

If you're just starting I wouldn't recommend going all out on purchases, as comforting as that can be sometimes. I say just learn with what you have and figure out what you like using, research software synths and things like that. You might just end up using plug ins for all you know. Operator is definitely interesting but there are other FM synthesizers too. Just play around do a lot of youtubing lol.

*edit*

Just make sure you have essential things for what you're doing, like Simpler would be essential for you seeing as you have an apc40.
ImageImage

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:02 am

Just a question

Why would you get more stuff you dont know how to use when you already have stuff you dont know how to use?

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:07 pm

i disagree some vsti are just years ahead,
just two example : alchemy and Diva
(i just can't stop with two : massive, sylenth1, razor, dune ...)
without talking about sampler : kontack, halion or machfive
there is so much to discover and enjoy
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Advantages and disadvantages to both. I like being able to have both piano roll and plugin on screen together (not much use with just a laptop screen though).

I think to get started, the only thing you need in addition to standard live is a VA synth. And there's free ones I prefer to suite's analog.

Eg u-he Tyrell n6

But if you go down the free download route, don't be tempted to get loads of stuff. You're better off getting one or two good ones and learning them properly. Use live's effects for now (by the time reverb starts getting on your nerves, you'll know what you're looking for).

colulizard

Post by colulizard » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:59 pm

I would say stick with what you've got for now, and possibly get some free VST synths. Computer Music has quite a selection of usable ones.. great for beginners.

My concern with going all out is... what if you actually don't like it/ can't get into it/ can never complete a set? It's an expensive mistake to make. Get the fundamentals sorted first and when you realise it's happening for you.. upgrade.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Techboy331 wrote:Hi, I've just gotten myself a bit settled with Ableton. Well, what I mean by settled is I bought an APC40, an AKAI MPK25, and some nice Studio Monitor headphones. I am new to ableton, and music production in general.
What do you want to do with it? What can you do with what you've got? Two questions I've been asking myself recently. Do you know what GAS is?
Techboy331 wrote:Also, what would you recommend buying in order to get started?
Get started with Ableton? Ableton.

Vios

Post by Vios » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:27 am

One of those things that's really hard to answer as there are a million ways to make electronic music. For me, I loved Operator as it was really technical and used everything I'd learned about waves in college studying electrical engineering.

I learned Live using tutorials on youtube. I've put together a website with some of the best. Try these introductory tutorials if you're looking for a place to start:

How To Write Beats – 2 Hour Introduction to Electronic Music and Ableton Live

Impulse Beginners Tutorial – Over One Hour Includes Live Basics

More Introductory Ableton Tutorials