8.4b7 Audio Drop outs

[mal]

Re: 8.4b7 Audio Drop outs

Post by [mal] » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:12 am

Hi all,

It is not clear what is causing this and how to prevent this. As I read it we have not been able to determine if there are memory and CPU leaks happening. Audio drivers do not seem to be the error. We have tried the patterns described changing clips/presets but it did not result in a reproduced scenario of overloads.

In short we are dead in the water on this problem, so please send projects where you can reproduce the overloads to
mads.lindgren(at)ableton.com and describe your system environment.

Best,
Mads

filler1

Post by filler1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 am

(mal)

I have noticed now that I disabled the blue tooth correctly on my laptop, that I have not received any Audio Drop outs.

Thank you for the link to that latency plug in, and the tip.

Regards,

~L

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 am

Thats good news Filler.

Generally PC's will require more modifications to setup to achieve clean audio. Especially laptops, and especially laptops where the resource between audio interface and chipset is shared.

I would love to hear if more see their problems solved by modifying mentioned options in the thread here.
And even more interested if you can pin point what is causing the overload, special actions, special sets etc.

Best.
Mads

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 pm

I solved the dropouts that happened when launching scenes!

How?
From each scene, I deleted stop buttons on channels not involved in any way in that scene.

To repeat, my problem was the dropouts when launching scenes of a BIG live set.
It works OK on the 32-bit Live, however, but launching its scenes on the 64-bit version causes dropouts way too easily.

Even though this is a bit of a workaround, this will work as a solution for me for now.
We should keep in mind, though, that something points to the fact that 32-bit handles the load caused my a huge load of stop buttons better.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Fanu,

Good news. If possible and if you have a version of the project where you didnt remove the stop buttons, please send this to beta@ableton.com
I have seen this before but would like to make sure its the same problem and that we have it tracked.

Best,
Mads

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:31 pm

[mal] wrote:Hi Fanu,

Good news. If possible and if you have a version of the project where you didnt remove the stop buttons, please send this to beta@ableton.com
I have seen this before but would like to make sure its the same problem and that we have it tracked.

Best,
Mads
Will the .als do or would you need the samples, too?
It'd be pretty biiiig!

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi,

At best try to narrow it down and make the project as simple as possible. Removing plugins will also help and in many cases also solve the overloads themselves. If that is the case, then you also found the source of the problem.

If it still exceeds mailing size you can use services such as wetransfer.com or sendspace.com to send us larger projects.

Bst,
Mads

mcnelson

Post by mcnelson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:11 pm

I found my issue too. It WAS a plugin after all :oops:

Forgot to check my Master channel, one plugin was at fault.

Thanks for everyone's help again,

ATB,

NMG
Ableton Live::Audio Damage::Sonic Charge::Sugar Bytes

dlf

Post by dlf » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 am

Hi guys,

I'm not running a beta at the moment, just latest public release, and running into exactly the same problems you describe here.

I'm using a late 2008 macbook pro with SSD - latest mountain lion, and an rme fireface400 as soundcard.

I'm currently preparing for a tour and am running quite a large liveset in session view, not much fx yet, straight playback for the moment.

Yesterday i ran into a situation where evrything started glitching, cpu showed spikes up to 350 %, going on, even when playback was stopped. Turning warp mode off on all clips, even deleting all tracks in the project didn't stop the cpu spiking.

This was the worst, but I've been having the feeling while working that CPU % slowly starts building while playing, to the point where channels that should be playing somehow stop outputting sound, glitches in fades between clips start happening .. cpu % around 40, 50%

Also, when opening the set CPU shows around 30%, without having any effects in the project. It doesnt seem to make any difference if i turn warping off on all clips or not (hq is off by default).

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Gideon - tkde

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Dlf,

Since I am not looking at the project I can only offer pure speculation. Please open up activity monitor and see what your memory is doing, also CPU.

Are you using dense instrument/drum racks?. If you remove the play button for all nested clips ou should save performance.

Also - if you have much running in the background such as browsers or other apps, there is a problem with the OSX memory management you can try to resolve with a purge command. This should free up memory and file swapping.
http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/24/free-up- ... e-command/

What latency are you running the RME card with, does changing buffer settings change the defect you see?

If you have an additional computer for testing, please try your liveset using the recent beta. There were a few fixes to performance during this beta cycle that might affect your performance.

Best,
Mads

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Mads,

I just wanted to +1 for you sharing that "purge" command. That has been really useful when I am tracking live drums and am unable to bring my Mac Pro with me on location (I only have 4gb on my laptop vs. 14GB on the workstation)

Thanks,
jda

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Welcome jbodango, glad it helps ;)

Best,
Mads

Christian Witt

Post by Christian Witt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Same for me on Macbook Pro Late 2011.
8 GB Ram / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

I have use 4 x Guitar Rig's with "Little Reflektor"

Everything Up to date

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Christian,

So you have drop outs?
Also without Guitar rig?, reflektor is taxing the CPU so try to exclude it.
Go to applications / utilities and open the activity monitor. Do you see any of the CPU cores getting hit?. Remember the ableton CPU read out is an average across cores, and if you have a spike on one core alone i doubt this would be visible without the CPU monitor.

Best,
Mads