question about Drum Machines Live pack...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
boderekstits

question about Drum Machines Live pack...

Post by boderekstits » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 am

okay - question about the free Drum Machines live pack that Ableton gives for free. it's old analog drum machines all in their own racks, with parameters mapped to the macros for tweaking, etc. if you don't know - check here:

http://www.ableton.com/drum-machines

anyways - my question is - and let me try to be as clear as possible - why did they put the samples on cells that are all over the map? as in - the 16 pads in a drum rack would correspond to the 16 pads on a MIDI controller - for example, the Trigger Finger - yet when you open one of these kits, instead of using 16 cells in a row, so that you can bang out each sound from the kit, you have to use your mouse scroll up to hit it - thereby losing instant access to the sounds you were just using.

make sense? check out the screen shot - you can see the occupied cells are not all in a 4 x 4 grid on the drum rack, on the far right side of the image. http://www.flickr.com/photos/derekrusso ... /lightbox/

is there some sort of advantage to this? I realize you can drag the sample into any unoccupied cell and make your own 4 x 4 grid, but why would Ableton make the default like this? i'm wondering if i'm missing something...

oddstep

Re: question about Drum Machines Live pack...

Post by oddstep » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:56 am

Is it general midi? It probably seemed like a good idea.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:04 am

Google GM drums... I think it relates to the old general midi standard. Each drum sound in a kit is assigned to specific notes on a keyboard. So you can swap kits or midi files. Im sure somebody on here posted up a fix you can download!

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:14 pm

yeah it's probably for those people who have an 88 key keyboard... Which doesn't make sense because everyone knows electronic musicians can't play instruments so no one would have them.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:57 pm

bump :mrgreen: