Question about syncing audio to video

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
turnstylenyc

Question about syncing audio to video

Post by turnstylenyc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm just getting started with Live, so please forgive if I'm asking a dumb question.

One of my goals has been to use my video camera to shoot some simple playing at home.

My camera has a Mic-In jack, and I had been planning on patching the Line-Out from my mixer into the camera.

But it turns out the camera has an AGC (automatic gain control) "feature" that borks up the sound and can't be turned off.

If I instead shoot video in the camera and record the audio in Live, is there a simple way to import the video file into Live, sync it with the audio, and save that back out?

Thanks!

turnstylenyc

Re: Question about syncing audio to video

Post by turnstylenyc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Bump. (sorry!)

Is this something Live can do?

For example, if I shoot video of somebody playing, and use the camera's built-in mic to capture crummy audio into the video -- and I also record the same audio into Live from a mixer...

Can I then import that video (with crummy audio) into Live and have it align the good audio from Live with the video from the camera?

Post by 102455 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 pm

It's not something I've tried in Live, but it should certainly be possible.

You know those clapperboards you see used by film crews at the start of scenes? One of the reasons they're used is to enable accurate lining up of the audio "clap" with the visual of the clapper closing.

You can do something similar by saying "3, 2, 1" and clapping your hands, to give you an audible and visual starting/alignment point.

turnstylenyc

Post by turnstylenyc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:04 pm

My understanding is some editors can automatically align video to separately-recorded audio by comparing the audio captured by the camera's mic (eg, the crummy audio in the source video) -- and automatically align/sync it with the properly recorded audio.

If I wind up having to use the "clap" technique -- it's a reasonable task to do that within Live? eg, turn off the video's audio, and shift the video or audio so that the clap is aligned?

My preference is some sort of intelligent auto-align, if possible...