how to record directly into a sampler

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
elektruck

how to record directly into a sampler

Post by elektruck » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Dear people,
I'm busy designing an interactive installation with the use of Live8. I want to do really simple things without seeing the computer screen. Basic idea is that people hit a button and start to record their voice. After hitting the stop button the sample should be under the key's of a midi keyboard. Is that possible with any of Live's instruments.
Right now I'm using the looper for simple recording and playing with my voice without seeing the screen, but I would like to play the sample with my key's too. Any suggestions?!
Cheers,
Roel

yur2die4

Re: how to record directly into a sampler

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Couple ideas. (Although in sure there is a wealth of suggestions involving M4L)

1. You can use audio clip slots. You are able to assign the Range of a keyboard to either a clip slot, or the clip launch button for the Channel (which lets you scroll up and down clips, but then it requires visuals). You'd be stuck having to add a 'delete' button, and require Loop on/off assigned on the clip. I can't say it's the most exciting :/

You can also map the pitch of Looper to a keyboard but then the root pitch becomes pretty vague...

Maschine can do stuff like this but it isn't dead simple enough that any random person could use it without breaking the setup haha

Wow I feel out of it haha

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:05 pm

not to turn this thread into a broken record, but...

If you are doing interactive sound-based installations, GET MAX4LIVE!!!

if this is a one time thing, there's probably a work-around of some sort.

elektruck

Post by elektruck » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll play with them. I have max4live so I'll check that out too, altough I don't feel comfortable with programming, maybe there're ready made solutions.
Thanx again and cheers,
Roel

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:36 pm

I'd just like to note that I rarely actually suggest max4live. But in this case, it is probably the way to go. I'd be very surprised of there aren't already any sampling methods like this available on their plug in site.

alicebeautex

Post by alicebeautex » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:44 am

This is a good topic. Thanks for the information btw. :)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Maschine can do stuff like this but it isn't dead simple enough that any random person could use it without breaking the setup haha
Given that the OP already has Max4Live, Maschine is a no-brainer.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Not really. It is for an installation. And I imagine that for interactive installations, you want the interface dead simple to the point that you could train your dog to do it, without it breaking. And be durable enough to take on gorilla slaps.

Maschine is great in practice for a user of audio devices, but the layman can't be expected to do much unless of course it is explicitly laid out in massive text haha

m4l should solve all of this.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:13 am

yur2die4 wrote:Not really. It is for an installation. And I imagine that for interactive installations, you want the interface dead simple to the point that you could train your dog to do it, without it breaking. And be durable enough to take on gorilla slaps.

Maschine is great in practice for a user of audio devices, but the layman can't be expected to do much unless of course it is explicitly laid out in massive text haha

m4l should solve all of this.
I meant that since the OP already has M4L, he/she is most likely not a random layman and should be able to figure it out no problem, especially considering Maschine is about the most intuitive gear available for all that it does. Figuring out M4L, on the other hand, is the opposite of easy/simple/intuitive.

Maschine can definitely accomplish this, without any setup beforehand: "really simple things without seeing the computer screen. Basic idea is that people hit a button and start to record their voice. After hitting the stop button the sample should be under the key's of a midi keyboard."

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:03 am

you could also try Muxer's Instant Sampler plugin..
http://www.muxer.nl/instant-sampler/