Screenshots of Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andydes

Re: Screenshots of Live 9

Post by andydes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:46 pm

hmj wrote: Those are just a few of the big boy features, let's see what Abletons been doing for the last 3 years when it comes to playing in the majors.
The features you want. My list is entirely different.

I/O naming? I'm certain there's way more people who want spectrum in eq 8 more than that.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:59 pm

it's funny the 3 major differences in Live users, DJ's, "PRO"ducers, Live users (as in Laptop as instrument).

Session View is what set's Live apart from the pack, thats where I hop to see "performing with Laptops" enhancement.
Plus Midi Preference enhancement.

hmj

Post by hmj » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:01 pm

andydes wrote:
hmj wrote: Those are just a few of the big boy features, let's see what Abletons been doing for the last 3 years when it comes to playing in the majors.
The features you want. My list is entirely different.

I/O naming? I'm certain there's way more people who want spectrum in eq 8 more than that.
When you have external compressors and gear you want to name them. Might not be relevant to you but to the thousands of studios around the world making records, it's crucial.

I'm sure I'd like a lot of the features on your list these are just some of the major league necessities.

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:13 pm

hmj wrote: When you have external compressors and gear you want to name them. Might not be relevant to you but to the thousands of studios around the world making records, it's crucial.

I'm sure I'd like a lot of the features on your list these are just some of the major league necessities.
Sorry, didn't mean to be dismissive about what you want, but as Juan said, there's different types of users who want different things.

I'm one of the ones who'd like to see ableton building on what made them different in the first place.

eflatt

Post by eflatt » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:27 pm

ze2be wrote:It looks great! Finally a big view on the eq. I got adicted to use Fabfilter Pro C and especially Pro Q and Pro L in the workflow, but this will do all the same stuf internally, and then some. Great! The mouse drag treshold line stuf on the gate and the compressor waveform looks very intuitive.

+1
One good thing about music...when it hits..you feel no pain..[-Bob Marley....."Trench Town Rock"}

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:28 pm

andydes wrote:I'm one of the ones who'd like to see ableton building on what made them different in the first place.
Precisely.
I dont use Protools in hopes it will make session view enhancements someday, hence in some kind of "league."
Maybe I just got into Ableton Live for different reasons too long ago.
Yet it seems to me many users want to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I dont mind new FX, sound enhancing tools, mouse clkicking improvements and features etc..
Yet over time I start getting hardware for what 1's and 0's arent as good at.
But it would be nice to see a company like Ableton to sieze what they started by making a computer become more fun, and push the boundaries of what computers are good at which analogue gear lacks out of expense/space.
I want Live to continue to excel in what made them great "Turning Laptops into Instruments."

hmj

Post by hmj » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:00 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
andydes wrote:I'm one of the ones who'd like to see ableton building on what made them different in the first place.
Precisely.
I dont use Protools in hopes it will make session view enhancements someday, hence in some kind of "league."
Maybe I just got into Ableton Live for different reasons too long ago.
Yet it seems to me many users want to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I dont mind new FX, sound enhancing tools, mouse clkicking improvements and features etc..
Yet over time I start getting hardware for what 1's and 0's arent as good at.
But it would be nice to see a company like Ableton to sieze what they started by making a computer become more fun, and push the boundaries of what computers are good at which analogue gear lacks out of expense/space.
I want Live to continue to excel in what made them great "Turning Laptops into Instruments."
I agree with all of this yet part of getting to that point is adding those features. No feature is less or more important in that respect, ESPECIALLY not something like PDC or sample accurate waveforms.

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:01 pm

For a long time ableton has had the session mode field pretty much to themselves, so improving the standard daw capabilities made sense from a marketing point of view up til now.

But now maschine is hot on their heels and bitwig (maybe) about to join in. So I think they'll need to defend the performance side of things more.

I expect a fairly even mix between production and performance, with little for the DJs (think they've lost that one now).

This is of course my cynical business view of the situation.

I think 9 should be pretty cool though.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:21 pm

hmj wrote:
petit nuage wrote:interesting....BUT for me an improved PDC will be the best "new" feature !!!
Yeah. Let's talk about the REAL features. I love all the bells & whistles as much as the next man but I want the features that makes Pro Tools HD the industry standard -

I'm all for workflow features being added, especially the really important ones (the ones which I want ;) ) ... but, c'mon comparing Ableton Live to ProTools HD? Really? You think Ableton's closest competitor in market-sector (and price) and the one they compare themselves with is ... Protools HD?

Look at this forum man. It's full of people making "my first Dubstep" and doing fan mixes of Skrillex. Sure, there are long-time musicians using this software to granularise their polytonal operetta, but lets be clear about this - 80% of the Ableton userbase doesn't know what a compressor is, but only that they need one on every track, to make it PHAT. Think - FruityStudio, Sony Acid, Prop's Reason. That's the sector.

If Ableton Live is ever an alternative for someone shopping for a ProToolsHD rig I will eat my least tasty hat.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:28 pm

granularise their polytonal operetta
hahahah, LMFAO for real

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Angstrom wrote:
hmj wrote: I'm all for workflow features being added, especially the really important ones (the ones which I want ;) ) ... but, c'mon comparing Ableton Live to ProTools HD? Really? You think Ableton's closest competitor in market-sector (and price) and the one they compare themselves with is ... Protools HD?

Look at this forum man. It's full of people making "my first Dubstep" ...
Dubstep hating aside, I bought live 4 knowing what it could and couldn't do.

While there's features I'd like to see added, if I thought anything was lacking that was essential, I would have looked elsewhere.

I find it odd that people complain so much about things other daws can do.

I'd kind of hope for live 9 to be live 8 + more live like stuff, rather than live 8 + more protools like stuff.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Well seems well have live 9 in not too long!

If there starting preparing promo video is because the coding is pretty much done.

Seems the automation schemes has changed since the back to arrangement button is gone :D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:46 pm

My main concern is about compatibility between projects made with earlier versions of live. I'm scared...
So far, after every upgrade, it's been almost perfectly compatible. But if they re-write all the automation stuff, i really hope it'll be able to read old stuff without any bug...
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Dragonbreath wrote:Seems the automation schemes has changed since the back to arrangement button is gone :D
back to arranged seems combined. But yes, hopefully we see clip automation improvements!
If we get things like Elektrons Parameter locks, or Machines automation recording, I will be in heaven.

woodsdenis

Post by woodsdenis » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Angstrom wrote:
hmj wrote:
petit nuage wrote:interesting....BUT for me an improved PDC will be the best "new" feature !!!
Yeah. Let's talk about the REAL features. I love all the bells & whistles as much as the next man but I want the features that makes Pro Tools HD the industry standard -

I'm all for workflow features being added, especially the really important ones (the ones which I want ;) ) ... but, c'mon comparing Ableton Live to ProTools HD? Really? You think Ableton's closest competitor in market-sector (and price) and the one they compare themselves with is ... Protools HD?

Look at this forum man. It's full of people making "my first Dubstep" and doing fan mixes of Skrillex. Sure, there are long-time musicians using this software to granularise their polytonal operetta, but lets be clear about this - 80% of the Ableton userbase doesn't know what a compressor is, but only that they need one on every track, to make it PHAT. Think - FruityStudio, Sony Acid, Prop's Reason. That's the sector.

If Ableton Live is ever an alternative for someone shopping for a ProToolsHD rig I will eat my least tasty hat.
I have to agree

Live will never ever be a competitor to Pro Tools, nor should it ever try. Pro Tools is a very deep program which comes at a price, 20 years of legacy bloat. Avid cannot get rid of any features without risk of alienating their existing user base. There is code in there which has been there since its inception !!!! Protools Is the best audio editor and mixing DAW out there .Period. It does this incredibly well and rightly has become the industry standard because of this BUT at some things it really sucks RTAS/Midi are appalling.

Live is a very innovative and cool product which lends itself to a new way of composing and performing, these are its strengths, and if Ableton losses sight of this they will fail. I love using it but its mixing side really needs basic improvement. For mixing Electronic stuff its OK but imagine trying to do complex vocal moves in Live, a real PITA. Have a look at Protools mixing automation to see how far behind they are. Thats not to say don't improve Live's automation, but dont try and compete or compare.

I would hope Live 9 is a consolidation and improvement of what they do best and not an attempt at a PT killer.
Last edited by woodsdenis on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.