Screenshots of Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
massenmedium

Re: Screenshots of Live 9

Post by massenmedium » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Arrange editing could certainly do with a few little things (like object selection and ripple editing), but they've been absent for so long, who knows.

cids

Post by cids » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 pm

If someone wants Live to be more like
ProTools, why not use ProTools....?
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

TakeAbow

Post by TakeAbow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:26 pm

cids wrote:If someone wants Live to be more like
Session View.

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:47 pm

thats was smart. honestly we all keep ableton for things like racks, etc so why use protools?
and other daws are also getting features or ideas from other daws - so why not ableton aswell?
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

botstein

Post by botstein » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:55 pm

chapelier fou wrote:My main concern is about compatibility between projects made with earlier versions of live. I'm scared...
So far, after every upgrade, it's been almost perfectly compatible. But if they re-write all the automation stuff, i really hope it'll be able to read old stuff without any bug...
Can you not have a computer than runs both? I know that Live 9 isn't out today, but a lot of us (for example) run the latest release and a beta.
ttilberg wrote: "Hey, Live isn't just for DJs checkin' their email, or Expiremental Dave at the astronomy theater."

MAGNETO_66

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Lumix wrote:
thats was smart. honestly we all keep ableton for things like racks, etc so why use protools?
and other daws are also getting features or ideas from other daws - so why not ableton aswell?
It's not a matter of being a PT competitor … (BTW, i DON'T like PT) … but having the double monitor/screen, in order to get arrangement view and the mixer in two different windows, well, it's the MININUM that a serious DAW should implement IMHO … Live is a very cool and professional SW so i just Can't understand why is it so difficult to add some basic features … Let's wait and see !
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

5meohd

Post by 5meohd » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:50 pm

^^ there is a button on all of our keyboards labeled "tab". you can rapidly click it to flick back and forth between the arrangement window and session/mixer window.. thus keeping BOTH features ergonomically/sonically centered between two stereo speakers.

if they add dual monitor support I hope it doesn't hinder the original way of working.

thanks for the leak ableton! I am very excited.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:59 pm

woodsdenis wrote: Protools Is the best audio editor and mixing DAW out there .Period.

hmj

Post by hmj » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:30 am

Angstrom wrote:
hmj wrote:
petit nuage wrote:interesting....BUT for me an improved PDC will be the best "new" feature !!!
Yeah. Let's talk about the REAL features. I love all the bells & whistles as much as the next man but I want the features that makes Pro Tools HD the industry standard -

I'm all for workflow features being added, especially the really important ones (the ones which I want ;) ) ... but, c'mon comparing Ableton Live to ProTools HD? Really? You think Ableton's closest competitor in market-sector (and price) and the one they compare themselves with is ... Protools HD?

Look at this forum man. It's full of people making "my first Dubstep" and doing fan mixes of Skrillex. Sure, there are long-time musicians using this software to granularise their polytonal operetta, but lets be clear about this - 80% of the Ableton userbase doesn't know what a compressor is, but only that they need one on every track, to make it PHAT. Think - FruityStudio, Sony Acid, Prop's Reason. That's the sector.

If Ableton Live is ever an alternative for someone shopping for a ProToolsHD rig I will eat my least tasty hat.
Good point, some of the features I mentioned are foreign around these parts but it's what they're what I learned is the distinction between Pro Tools HD and something like Ableton. It might cost a ton of money to have that power, hence the price of Pro Tools HD, I don't know.

I could go to the DUC and literally mention thousands of things Ableton does better than Pro Tools but it's not about that, it's about making each program the best it can be for everyone. That's why these companies borrow from each other anyway no? I guarantee you PT11 WILL "borrow" a lot of from Abletons music production innovations.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:53 am

I'm not saying it would be necessarily bad, and certainly not for me. But these companies pick their battles, and their markets.

woodsdenis

Post by woodsdenis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:19 am

I could go to the DUC and literally mention thousands of things Ableton does better than Pro Tools but it's not about that
Correct, Live does so many things better than Protools in its own unique way. By all means improve Live with a better mix system and separate mixer window etc but it will never compete with PT nor should it even try.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:26 am

$$$, and of course, to be cool

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 am

hoffman2k wrote: They should hire ST8 too :D
who is "They" ?
that thing looks like it could be ran over with a truck and still be able to gig...
am I mistaken that this device uses osc ?
looks very interesting!

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:38 am

concerning pro tools...i would like ableton have a clearer(configurable) arrange window, more simple and not tiring for the eyes.

PLUS a real and better audio editor side ...with by exple destructive audio editing (bounce in place etc...)

but for me the more important again is AN OTT PDC !!!

so for live 9 i hope improvements in the audio editor side and mixing side.