re up of live 9 video!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ian_halsall

Re: re up of live 9 video!!

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:15 pm

No I don't leave my pc on for weeks - I switch it off each night.

What I meant was working on a song file for weeks - which you probably knew but thought it was funny to make this "joke".

Why don't all the moaners just switch to another DAW?

jpga

Post by jpga » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Clockwork!

When will the update be released?

All the best,,

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:37 pm

64 nit support - without that I am flea-ing

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:53 pm

ian_halsall wrote:64 nit support - without that I am flea-ing
my grandpa loves british humor.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:08 pm

ian_halsall wrote:64 nit support - without that I am flea-ing
ROFFALL

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:28 pm

ian_halsall wrote:What I meant was working on a song file for weeks - which you probably knew but thought it was funny to make this "joke".
Just a nice tip, not in the context of any bickering :), I've found it really useful to add a counter in the name of an ongoing project, and occasionally do a "Save as" and increment the number. That way, when I'm working on an important project, there are many versions of the main project file, and I can roll back to an earlier version (maybe only hours instead of days away) if something unexpected arises.

That being said, I've found the current 64 bit beta to be very stable indeed. I haven't had a reason to do any rollbacks like described above, and I recently started using this as my main DAW environment instead of the 32 bit one. It just works. Large projects, hours at a time, no crashes or any weirdness whatsoever. Very happy about this.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:43 pm

I love your Grandpa.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Ya I'm sure there's more than what we saw here. I honestly don't have as huge a problem w/ live as is, as it seems EVERYONE else does. I use it everyday and I love it. Ya, there's a few features I'd like to see but I've found a way to get what I need done. All the peeps who constantly whine about Live 9on the forums should spend their time making more music on Live, then, maybe they'll figure a few things out too!!

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Some more groundless speculation for you all-

Assuming that live 9 is pretty far along now due to this vid and assuming that the big rewrite people are expecting is included because of the wait, would it have made sense for ableton to port the old code base to 64 bit when they did?

Maybe the 64 bit version and even the current 32 bit is new architecture with new no added features.

Something like that would be the safest way to roll it out.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Theo Void wrote:Ya I'm sure there's more than what we saw here. I honestly don't have as huge a problem w/ live as is, as it seems EVERYONE else does. I use it everyday and I love it. Ya, there's a few features I'd like to see but I've found a way to get what I need done. All the peeps who constantly whine about Live 9on the forums should spend their time making more music on Live, then, maybe they'll figure a few things out too!!
Exactly - I know I spend too much time here and on Twitter and FB.

I have to stop it.

Damn - this post actually sounds quite good - I'm gonna get right on Twitter and tell everyone what's going on over here on the Ableton Forum...

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:03 pm

andydes wrote:Some more groundless speculation for you all-
Maybe the 64 bit version and even the current 32 bit is new architecture with new no added features.

(but probably not)

I feel like it would have been a little rougher transition than that. Rewriting new base code, but maintaining legacy features that require the legacy code would have been very time consuming, and likely someone would have said "HAIWAITAMINIT."

That said, your speculation may have been the best speculation in this entire thread. There have been too many "OMFG THIS IS IT?" posts and not enough "I bet that record button with the Arrangement View icon next to it probably exports your track to Beatport Top 10" <--- now this is speculation I can dig!
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Well the company I work for is doing almost exactly that at the moment. Completely different product though.

Too early to say how rocky the transition will be for us. But live 8 has been bumpy for many.

They'll need to maintain legacy features anyway. If you separate beta testing of the new architecture from beta testing new features, you could save yourself some grief.

All those big point upgrades that killed forward compatibility for instance, or improved m4l access to the program smack of more than minor changes to me.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:31 pm

I cant help but wonder if the 64bit beta is also testing how important M4L is to users.

the 64bit beta does seem more stable than any version of Live in the last 3 years.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:40 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I cant help but wonder if the 64bit beta is also testing how important M4L is to users.

the 64bit beta does seem more stable than any version of Live in the last 3 years.
Reeeaally? How did they pull that off?

I wouldn't know, I never had the problems some did. I'm told that's because I'm not pro enough though. :(

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:47 pm

the 64bit version has no M4L.
all I am saying is its interesting, the 64bit beta runs great, I wonder how many people are actually using it? Maybe a lot, maybe not?

Some people are really into M4L, but how many?

I have no idea, but I'm sure they talk about that shit at headquarters.

is M4L gonna be 64bit? is it capable?
is Max 6 64bit?
could Ableton release their own modular environment?

I am back to using the 32bit Live after a long journey with the beta. I love M4L, and right now everything is running great but I am keeping things really simple and light. As soon as I try some presetting tricks and getting into devices that are really GREAT ideas, Live and Max crash like crazy. Sometimes Live sets refuse to open, all kinds of weirdness.