Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
exper

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by exper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:23 am

3dot... wrote:very simple... upgrades bought after a certain date get the upgrade...
it's always been like this... only now the upgrade price has been halved...

for people with nowhere to upgrade to..
we get to upgrade to Live9 Suite for around 250$
(having already paid for the 9 Live instruments 40 Live-fx and have bought M4L separately)
that's simply not fair...

That's the "price" you pay for having used those instruments this whole time. FOr those of us who don't have m4l and suite yet, we've been shorted this whole time! SO, look at it like that! :D

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:28 am

So I guess some people in this thread aren't actually reading David's first post? :?

They already said they're giving the Suite 8 -> Suite 9 upgraders a deal upon release. So the price you're seeing isn't what you will end up paying (assuming you can wait until the release).

You even know roughly how long you have to save up for it ffs. :lol:
Unsound Designer

trilo

Post by trilo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:29 am

Thanks for the explanation and reassurance, Ableton_David. Looking forward to hearing more as launch day approaches.

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:39 am

Element wrote:If I purchase the boxed version of suite 8, will I receive the boxed version of suite 9? Or will I be receiving a download-only?
I think I read somewhere last night that it will be a digital Live 9 Suite. I'm in the same boat as you. Makes sense, as all of the instruments and extra stuff in Suite are the same in 8 as they are in 9.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:43 am

Anyone else see humor in how we are demanding specific prices like this?

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:57 am

Looking at my upgrade paths....

Upgrade from 8 > 8 Suite then free to 9 $179
Push + upgrade to Live 9 Suite $948

So if I take the second option to get the Push package, the hardware is essentially costing $769 as opposed to RRP of $599

Or looking at it another way, even paying my full non-discount 8 Suite > free 9 upgrade price now and buying Push separately is $239+$599=$838

So I get extra-penalized for dropping a larger amount of cash at the same time ie buying Push and Live 9 Suite at the same time??? Or are they so desperate for cash that they're prepared to take a $170 hit to get even a little bit of it now?

Unless I'm really getting the wrong end of the stick this needs adding to your list of kinks to be ironed out.

merges

Post by merges » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:40 am

stringtapper wrote:So I guess some people in this thread aren't actually reading David's first post? :?

They already said they're giving the Suite 8 -> Suite 9 upgraders a deal upon release. So the price you're seeing isn't what you will end up paying (assuming you can wait until the release).

You even know roughly how long you have to save up for it ffs. :lol:
Some of us read the post but don't know if the offer upon release will be better than the 100 dollar price offered to live 8 owners today. If they're going to give us a deal for 200 later, we might be better off taking another course.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:02 am

Fledz wrote:
Element wrote:If I purchase the boxed version of suite 8, will I receive the boxed version of suite 9? Or will I be receiving a download-only?
I think I read somewhere last night that it will be a digital Live 9 Suite. I'm in the same boat as you. Makes sense, as all of the instruments and extra stuff in Suite are the same in 8 as they are in 9.
suite 8 box here too.

i read through the content list of suite 9 (download) and it includes all of the instruments that previously were exclusive additional content of suite 8 boxed. means everybody who buys suite 9 (download) gets ALL the content available while the boxed version only adds, well, the actual box and the physical media such as dvds and printed manual.

for those who invested in suite 8 boxed it seems like that has been a real waste of money now (especially if you got it just recently like me).

HEY ABLETON, i think the pricing policy should consider the difference between box and download owners, as there's a practical aspect as well:
if you tailor a download version for box owners that excludes the content those already have, YOU MASSIVELY SAVE DOWNLOAD TRAFFIC, that is to say 10GB instead of 55GB, if i am not mislead.

convinced? ok i stop whinig now... actually i am VERY happy about the step in the legend of ableton that is live :) 9

morbid

Post by morbid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:37 am

Surreal wrote:Anyone else see humor in how we are demanding specific prices like this?
I own this

And Apple want £1400 to upgrade to this!

Whats that all about?

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:18 am

My upgrade price from L8Suite to L9Suite: US$299

... while owners of previous and non-Suite versions) come in $200 cheaper ??? This makes no sense at all. Please clarify upgrade pricing schedules so they make sense and offer a fair deal to all current Live users. The current deal sucks ... (those with the most up to date Ableton software pay the most for the update?).

I still don't know if this price is the special exclusive introductory discount offer mentioned by Ableton_David .....
Last edited by Scaper7 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:40 am

Ableton_David wrote:We've noticed some confusion about upgrade pricing for Live 9, and wanted to clarify things here.

To begin with, pricing in the Ableton web shop adapts according to products that a customer already owns - including versions of Live, Instruments, and Max for Live. As such, people who own different combinations will see different upgrade prices. Nevertheless, we see the confusion amongst customers, and will try to make our pricing as transparent as possible to everyone, as soon as possible.

Existing Suite 8 owners will be offered an exclusive introductory discount on upgrades to Live 9 Suite, to be made available upon release. This introductory discount is not yet shown on the website, as Live 9 Suite is not yet available. We apologize for any confusion or frustration from our oversight in not making this discount clear on ableton.com, and ask for your patience as we iron out the kinks in our new site.
I hear what you are saying but I just logged out and back in to your site and the price now comes out at 199 EUR - it was 299 yesterday.

Fair enough - mistakes are made - but if I had upgraded to live 8 suite yesterday as some people were able to do it would have cost $104.

Given the fact that I spent a few hundred EUR to upgrade to suite from standard a month or so ago and I bought m4l separately and operator separately I think that the only fair price now for me is a free upgrade - seriously - otherwise how can it ever be fair?

$104 to upgrade to live 8 suite and a free upgrade to 9 suite - madness....

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 am

shadowdancerbnr wrote:Still awaiting a reply from support but I don't quite understand why, with the arrival of this new Ableton site, my authorizations appear to have been downgraded. I own Suite 8, yet I'm offered the option to upgrade from Live 8 Standard to Suite. I did that over 3 years ago!

Also, why is the fact that Live 9 is not yet released relevant to withholding upgrade prices for Suite owners when everyone else's upgrade paths are "clearly" displayed?
It sounds like you're looking at the shop page, which, if you already own Suite 8, might be showing you the price for an additional Live 8 / Suite 8 license. Suite 8 owners will be offered an exclusive introductory discount upon the release of Live 9 Suite.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:53 am

Ableton_David wrote:
shadowdancerbnr wrote:Still awaiting a reply from support but I don't quite understand why, with the arrival of this new Ableton site, my authorizations appear to have been downgraded. I own Suite 8, yet I'm offered the option to upgrade from Live 8 Standard to Suite. I did that over 3 years ago!

Also, why is the fact that Live 9 is not yet released relevant to withholding upgrade prices for Suite owners when everyone else's upgrade paths are "clearly" displayed?
It sounds like you're looking at the shop page, which, if you already own Suite 8, might be showing you the price for an additional Live 8 / Suite 8 license. Suite 8 owners will be offered an exclusive introductory discount upon the release of Live 9 Suite.
Does the introductory discount also include Push + Live 9 Suite upgrade bundle?
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

The Marx Trukker

Post by The Marx Trukker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:00 am

I just talked to the ableton customer care and was told my update price would now be 249 euro (download version)
In my account there is a price that says update price will be 199 euro :idea:

I already own suite 8 and Max 4 Live and all this is definitely irritating and should be cleared up by Ableton very soon.
Otherwise long term supporters will be angry for a good reason.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:09 am

Existing Suite 8 owners will be offered an exclusive introductory discount on upgrades to Live 9 Suite, to be made available upon release.

the price will be available UPON release. they know that there are many guys who paid a lot. it only make sense that this price is cheaper than the actual 199 €.