Session automation vs Clip evelopes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
paulmaddox

Session automation vs Clip evelopes

Post by paulmaddox » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Does anyone know if the new session automation will co-exist with the current clip envelopes?

It looks really useful, but the current system with relative rather than absolute values is really useful in many situations.

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Session automation vs Clip evelopes

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 pm

I've been wondering if the new clip automation will work in a relative manner when you tweak controls that have automation, like clip envelopes work now. Hope so.
Professional Shark Jumper.

paulmaddox

Post by paulmaddox » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Doesn't look like it, as in the video on session automation it shows how the automation is copied to a traditional automation lane (ie. absolute) when moved into arrange. That's the other reason I hope they'lI co-exist really:

1) Having a relative envelope that you can then layer conventional automation over is very useful for a lot of things,

2) I use clip envelopes quite a lot, and part of the appeal is that they're self contained - if all those clip envelopes turned into normal automation lanes when moving from session to arrange, my projects would be a right mess!

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Any automation in Session View becomes track-based automation when clips are recorded or copied into Arrangement View.
clip envelopes, or 'modulation' is still there, but it's hidden by default to avoid confusion.

paulmaddox

Post by paulmaddox » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:47 am

Cool - I'll be happy then!

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:41 am

Clip automation is something folk have wanted for years, and years and years... If you go back to 2006, you will see threads on this
Linear Phase has left the building..

gp23

Post by gp23 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 am

I was just about to ask this same question. Thinking logically, surely clip modulation envelopes would have to be retained for back-compatibility with sets made in previous versions. So hopefully, they are still there and not hidden too much in 9.