Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nokatus

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by Nokatus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:You need to post something big and obvius on the opening page of the site, quickly, or I suspect this will be all anyone talks about.
Exactly! I already emailed them pretty much exactly that, but I guess they're completely swamped at the moment. The forum announcement is not going to cut it if the weird prices are the only pricing info that people see on the actual site.

I used to think Bitwig had the worst PR :P ... but like you said, it's all over the internet audio circles at the moment, Ableton seemingly charging significantly more for the same upgrade if you are a customer who has already paid significantly more, for more extensive licenses, to begin with. It should be clear on the site this is really not the case.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:25 pm

no 25% discount for users who preorder Standard 8 to Standard 9 upgrade path?

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Good stuff...Can you tell us how much we need to pay? Also about educational pricing - can you get educational discount on push?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:33 pm

morbid wrote:
Surreal wrote:Anyone else see humor in how we are demanding specific prices like this?
I own this

And Apple want £1400 to upgrade to this!

Whats that all about?
it's about bad examples...

Ghost Mutt

Post by Ghost Mutt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 pm

shadowdancerbnr wrote:
Ableton_David wrote:
shadowdancerbnr wrote:Still awaiting a reply from support but I don't quite understand why, with the arrival of this new Ableton site, my authorizations appear to have been downgraded. I own Suite 8, yet I'm offered the option to upgrade from Live 8 Standard to Suite. I did that over 3 years ago!

Also, why is the fact that Live 9 is not yet released relevant to withholding upgrade prices for Suite owners when everyone else's upgrade paths are "clearly" displayed?
It sounds like you're looking at the shop page, which, if you already own Suite 8, might be showing you the price for an additional Live 8 / Suite 8 license. Suite 8 owners will be offered an exclusive introductory discount upon the release of Live 9 Suite.
No, I'm not. I just received an email from support saying I do not own Suite 8. But I do....it's just that the new account page has somehow missed out some of my packs and info, etc. Live's splash screen says "Suite 8" and I have Collision and Amp.....but support say I do not. Is this an error caused by changing the Ableton site?
I think this is what happened with me, i was offered an additional boxed suite license + upg. I also upgraded from boxed 8 to dl suite a year or two ago.
Last edited by Ghost Mutt on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banned

Post by banned » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:38 pm

massenmedium wrote:Yeah but if you use Max chances are you're kind of "in to" being punished.
Hehe… actually, whenever if I feel somewhat masochistic, I prefer to use Pure data instead of Max. :p

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:59 pm

deaddisneyy wrote:To make things clear: if current Live 8 users are able to upgrade from 8 to 8 Suite for €64, the upgrade for existing 8 Suite users should cost NO more, and hopefully less (that is if Ableton wants to show some love to the customers who already purchased 8 Suite).

Hopes are high! :wink:
Why? They paid more money for separate products than directly getting Suite package. And, Suite package owner have been using all extra tools and contents by now unlike people who bought a few tools separately didn't. What is more, Suite users can choose to stick with Suite 8 and keep using it.

Have you ever get your instant coffee replaced when Nestle released newer products?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:40 pm

pencilrocket wrote:Have you ever get your instant coffee replaced when Nestle released newer products?
please, no hot beverage-based analogies here. car analogies only.

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:Well Done Ableton. Seriously, good intervention! As a suit and M4L owner I look forward to he offer, I recommend d FREE if we buy Push :D
As well, I'm a Suite & M4L owner.
I'm looking forward to hearing what the special introductory offer is that will take into account that we own all the products.
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

_seph

Post by _seph » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:11 pm

EnjoyRC wrote:
Sean_Clarke wrote:Well Done Ableton. Seriously, good intervention! As a suit and M4L owner I look forward to he offer, I recommend d FREE if we buy Push :D
As well, I'm a Suite & M4L owner.
I'm looking forward to hearing what the special introductory offer is that will take into account that we own all the products.
and especially those of us that have the boxed version with the additional context plus the Orchestral library.. Suite 9 is a great package but for users like me, beyond the advancements in Live is there anything new? I expected at least one new instrument (and hoped it would be Tassman) :|

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:20 pm

shadowdancerbnr wrote:
Ableton_David wrote:
shadowdancerbnr wrote:Still awaiting a reply from support but I don't quite understand why, with the arrival of this new Ableton site, my authorizations appear to have been downgraded. I own Suite 8, yet I'm offered the option to upgrade from Live 8 Standard to Suite. I did that over 3 years ago!

Also, why is the fact that Live 9 is not yet released relevant to withholding upgrade prices for Suite owners when everyone else's upgrade paths are "clearly" displayed?
It sounds like you're looking at the shop page, which, if you already own Suite 8, might be showing you the price for an additional Live 8 / Suite 8 license. Suite 8 owners will be offered an exclusive introductory discount upon the release of Live 9 Suite.
No, I'm not. I just received an email from support saying I do not own Suite 8. But I do....it's just that the new account page has somehow missed out some of my packs and info, etc. Live's splash screen says "Suite 8" and I have Collision and Amp.....but support say I do not. Is this an error caused by changing the Ableton site?
Please make sure that you're logging in to the right account and using this account when contacting Support. You've already been in touch with support directly?

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Surreal wrote:Anyone else see humor in how we are demanding specific prices like this?
Even though I agree with the intended nature of your comment, I cannot bring myself to agree even in sarcasm. I think it's pretty gross how much disrespect is floatin' around here, and people trying to game the system.

They've already said what they needed to say about the pricing confusion. It's too bad people don't respect one another, or the company that provides cool software that people are obviously passionate about. They run a business, and need to make money to pay employees. It's as simple as that.

Be thankful it's not like the pricing situation you get into with the Adobe products, or worse, like their subscription setup. That really screws users in the long run.

I think we should all be buying Ableton Cupcakes right now, like Reddit did for Arenanet. That was awesome, and a cool way to congratulate a company on a milestone. If the cost is too high to upgrade, save up for it and consider it a privilege to own premium software.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Ableton_David wrote:Existing Suite 8 owners will be offered an exclusive introductory discount on upgrades to Live 9 Suite, to be made available upon release.
That sounds dandy!

A search on "when" or "release date" or similar strings in the forum yields tons of results, so I fear I'm probably the zillionth to ask: Hey, when IS the release date for Live 9 Suite?

Sorry about that.

And I'm probably the dozenth to suggest a pinned announcement for the top of the forum with the topic Upcoming Release Dates. It could supplant the Mountain Lion one, perhaps.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

fcarroll

Post by fcarroll » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:54 pm

Very confused about this pricing now. My offer on my page is Upgrade to Live 9 suite for 234 usd, and Live standard 159 usd. I am a Live 8 Suite (upgraded from intro) and M4l owner ...... So is this offer correct, or yet to be adjusted David???

Thanks

+1 on the "buy Push and Free Upgrade" or just "free upgrade" :)
iMac, MacBook Pro, Ableton Live 8 Suite,Ableton PUSH Komplete 8, Logic Studio,Launchpad x 2, iPad (Lemur), M-Audio Keystudio, Akai MPD18, ...

Undercover Soul

Post by Undercover Soul » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Well I am glad for that everyone was ripping Ableton apart on Facebook for their pricing strategy. I even joined in. Let's see what happens