Does anyone care about Arrangement view in Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Goran@Irrupt

Does anyone care about Arrangement view in Live 9?

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:57 pm

Until now i didnt's see a single new feature announced about Arrangement view. to be honest, that's what i was looking for in L9. i've been working on a movie in Nuendo for three months now and when i got back to Live, it felt like a toy tbh. now, i know Live is not made for movie production, but a lot of things from Nuendo (and such...) could be very welcome (if not necessary) addition to Live.
for the start i feel Live needs "tools" tabs (split, stretch, erase, select, mute...), easier manipulation of fade in/outs, auto mixing of overlaped files, selecting files (NOT TIME) in order to move them around arrangement, surround sound, etc etc.

Session view is cool and fun, but we make tunes in Arrangement.

p.s. i did see one new feature in A view and it was the option to consolidate bigger part of arrangement and export it to session in order to use it in live acts. where's the creativity in that?
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

Angstrom

Re: Does anyone care about Arrangement view in Live 9?

Post by Angstrom » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:09 pm

I care about arrangement.

For all the good that does you.

:|

arafel

Post by arafel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 pm

I start in Session.. build up a dozen or so different Scenes...

Then transition to Arrangement to ahh.... Arrange.
Imho. neglect of Arrangement would be a huge oversite (err)..but we'll see in the demo (I hope).
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:43 pm

Well, I would guess that the new option to make automation curves progressive also applies to penning in automation in the Arrange View? Anyway, I'm used to creating parts in the Session View, export as separate audio or MIDI files and mix in Logic. Maybe some future productions will be staying for longer in Live 9 now with this new record-automation-into-clips function. After all, Live's strength still is in the hands-on music creating department.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:08 pm

+1 - I'm really worried that we get not enhancements there. I understand the problem, the could not do all.. but arrangment view need so but some simple enhancments... I agreee that is a joke compared to nuendo/cubase in this regard. I mean, I don't need a second cubase, but I doo need the basic features.

I hate the arrangement view in live, it's very cluttered to me, but I love the program too much to use something different..

I need shortcuts so bad, a shortcut to hide/show automation, colorgrading for better overview...

color grading screen:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141592

multiple midi edit:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100068&hilit=inline

I really would like to know if there is something in live9.

sabiwa

Post by sabiwa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:14 pm

I do care about arrangement editing over session feats - PUSH and bundled samples are least of my worries. But then I'm a minority and old...

krizgainz

Post by krizgainz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Last edited by krizgainz on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Totally with you guys.
I use the arrangement a lot for some times now to do sound and music for tv program, and it really lack some improvements.
More shortcuts, global solo/unsolo, tracks color (not just the title bar, that is really uncomfortable), render in place...
And as other people, I don't wan't to use multiple DAWs.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 pm

btw. I really think every time I use grooves about this...

groove grid:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129162&hilit=+grid

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:Totally with you guys.
I use the arrangement a lot for some times now to do sound and music for tv program, and it really lack some improvements.
More shortcuts, global solo/unsolo, tracks color (not just the title bar, that is really uncomfortable), render in place...
And as other people, I don't wan't to use multiple DAWs.

Hey - I can help you out with global unsolo/solo

http://stc.wiffbi.com/midi-implementation-chart/

Its amazing.

The guy writes a remote script and also provides a program called kimidi. Converts keys into extended live commands - like global record, solo, mute. Kimidi is for mac though. But the remote script could still be useful to you.

Render in Place - they sorta have now with 9 - you can select parts of the arrangement and move it into a clip. And then drag it back out? Not sure from the video whether it was just midi or audio. But yeah, bounce in place is needed. Im starting to worry about comp/take folders... I dont know why they would neglect that feature. But sure we'll see in a week I guess.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Trying to compare post production software and pre doesn't make sense to me. But I agree with that A view should be cared if they call it as DAW. That said, the thing I like about Live is its session view and it's good strategy to compete because DAW war is tough.

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:11 pm

I do. I'm wondering if Ableton has done anything new with arrangement view.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:16 pm

maybe there are small enhancements, would be so nice to get some infos on that!

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:19 pm

WebSite! wrote:Until now i didnt's see a single new feature announced about Arrangement view. to be honest, that's what i was looking for in L9. i've been working on a movie in Nuendo for three months now and when i got back to Live, it felt like a toy tbh. now, i know Live is not made for movie production, but a lot of things from Nuendo (and such...) could be very welcome (if not necessary) addition to Live.
for the start i feel Live needs "tools" tabs (split, stretch, erase, select, mute...), easier manipulation of fade in/outs, auto mixing of overlaped files, selecting files (NOT TIME) in order to move them around arrangement, surround sound, etc etc.

Session view is cool and fun, but we make tunes in Arrangement.

p.s. i did see one new feature in A view and it was the option to consolidate bigger part of arrangement and export it to session in order to use it in live acts. where's the creativity in that?
That's exactly my point all the time !

All people being so hyped about Push, don't see what's under the hood. NOTHING !!!(...or almost...)
Those few little things and improvements are not worth a new version, more like an upgrade...!

Looking at the price it's even more ridiculous...

Ton's of feature request made, and not even a hand full realized.

Most fun I had with "better sound", remembering all forum discussions we had
over the last years on this forum, and it was always at best.
Now they simply improved it !
Wow, nobody told that there was still headroom for improvements.
But it was all easy to bang on people who complained about it.
All those Live agents and supporters(mostly certificated) HAD BEEN WRONG IN THE END !!! Hippocrates !!! :lol:

Now back to Live 9:
Subtract Push and look again, then tell me how much worth it is !!!
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

allanaceflyer

Post by allanaceflyer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:25 pm

yes new tools comp recording pop up mixer with no session view more things that flash and look good etc?