I'm a little disappointed in Live 9.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yearlongyeti

Re: I'm a little disappointed in Live 9.....

Post by yearlongyeti » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:49 pm

Is it just me, or does Live 9 just fix some issues that have been complained about for a couple of years now. It seems to be playing catch up, nothing really innovative. Live 8 seemed to have alot more innovative thinking about it. Live 9 just seems like a band aid.

Mind you Im still using 7 so I guess I shouldn't really comment.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:42 am

Honestly, I wasn't really all that un-happy w/ Live 8. I use it everyday. So, I think it's a step forward. theoretically. I'm never really an early adopter but this is what, 4 yrs' in the making? Plus, it's the one piece of soft-ware I use everyday. So I'll be grabbing it when it comes out. I wanted the new Maschine so bad but now, damn, that Push looks f'ing sick!!!!!!

golemus

Post by golemus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:06 am

I think there are a few of good improvements there, for example curved automation and new browser. And the beatboxing/melody recognition tool also looks promising. Everything else not that much of use for me, I really just hope that they have fixed VST plugin issues, and the ability to hide/show tracks would be really good and simple to implement.

sabiwa

Post by sabiwa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Afterall, there's a place for Bitwig as a comprehensive editing daw if they manage to pull it out. PUSH will be covering nicely gem makers and their live playing needs.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Jon-J wrote:I gave the new features vid a second chance and sorry but all they have done is "improve" things!!
I think those improvements should be in Live 8, because people payd for it, hassled all these years with it and deserve to get a better product they expected to get with Live 8 and not with Live9 for more money.
It's not the customers fault that it wasn't right in the past.
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm a little disappointed the Push cover isn't included, and it should also have been made to serve as the stand.
ImageImage

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:29 pm

shadx312 wrote:I'm a little disappointed the Push cover isn't included, and it should also have been made to serve as the stand.
The Push cover does work as a stand.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:49 pm

TheCoil wrote:I'm thinking that now that they've gotten over the huge hurdles of 64-bit support and integrating M4L, as well as creating Push, they'll be able to devote more time now to addressing "smaller" users desires, like dual monitor, detachable windows, nested grouping, etc.
you can use M4L for dual monitors. since that's included in Suite now... having Suite will mean you can have dual monitors.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:34 pm

ya i agree with the OP

little disappointed. and to me the push looks like a wannabe maschine, except its lamer cause its not standalone.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Theo Void wrote:Of course you are!
I'm a little dissappointed that long time customers who already own Live Suite seem to be getting shafted.
ME TOO! What a joke! As a longtime user and owner of live 8 we got to pay for the update, but new live 8 users get it for FREE!??? I will not pay ableton a penny! Will see if i can get live 9 somewhere else...... 8O
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 pm

they're not getting it for "FREE"... they're essentially just paying for Live 9 early.

they get an upgrade in the meantime.

Ableton gets a guaranteed sale.

everyone else can still put their money on Live 9 when it is released.

gkillmaster

Post by gkillmaster » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 pm

personally I am really drawn to Push. A little disappointed with Live 9 except the inclusion of Max4Live in Suite and audio to midi is inspiring. I really really wish they would allow layers like Bitwig, seeing multiple tracks/clips stacked together. Midi on top of audio would be very very useful. And I can't for the life of me figure out why there is no option to display session and arrange views together... ?

Live was so innovative in the beginning and seems to be bogged down. Maybe its just glutted. Seems like the re-write would've helped with that... Must be really hard for a company like Ableton with their great success to prioritize and try to suit every single user... On the other hand, it seems like Bitwig is listening and innovating. All will be known in time I guess :)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 pm

gkillmaster wrote:personally I am really drawn to Push. A little disappointed with Live 9 except the inclusion of Max4Live in Suite and audio to midi is inspiring. I really really wish they would allow layers like Bitwig, seeing multiple tracks/clips stacked together. Midi on top of audio would be very very useful. And I can't for the life of me figure out why there is no option to display session and arrange views together... ?

Live was so innovative in the beginning and seems to be bogged down. Maybe its just glutted. Seems like the re-write would've helped with that... Must be really hard for a company like Ableton with their great success to prioritize and try to suit every single user... On the other hand, it seems like Bitwig is listening and innovating. All will be known in time I guess :)
I keep hearing about Bitwig but not hearing shit FROM Bitwig. IDK, unless it's absolutely, miraculously amazing, I'm sticking w/Live. Plus it's v.1 so it's gonna be buggy as hell, not sure if I feel like going thru that for the next five years. Like I said before, I don't really experience all these insane problems that tons of other ppl seem to experience. I have a really good computer though so that could have something to do w/ it. I use Live every day and play live shows w/ it synced to Traktor damn near every weekend. Been doing this for quite some time. I make insane arrangements and have yet to see a crash.(ok, maybe once or twice, but notjing to bitch about.) I own a Launchpad and an APC40 and will def be getting the PUSH. I mean c'mon, thing looks sick as hell! It's like the natural evolution of Launchpad plus APC40. I'm guessing it has the RGB color thing like the Maschine which is awesome in itself.
I just got an f1 and I must say, the colors totally come in handy and keep me from looking @ the dreaded lap[top screen. lol. I was DJ'ing live for the longest time w/ my APC40 and Traktor and it was amazing, but the controllers coming out these days are just getting more and more awesome. ANyway, go Live. I think you guys do amazing work and I'm happy to finally be getting automation curves and the ability to automate clips. The one thing I as hoping for (and the reason I switched to Traktor for playing live,) is a searchable, taggable, deck loadable(via MIDI) browser. But I do see that the browser has been upgraded so thats cool. I still do ALL my writing and producing in Live and prob always will. But when it comes to DJ'ing NI is doing some innovative shit. The Remix Decks came out and I didn't have to sync Live to Traktor anymore. I did have to buy a proprietary controller but it's an awesome controller so I'm cool w/ it. Essentially with the remix decks it's the best of both worlds. They totally bit the clip view thing from Live but it works so well. NI is doing big things. OK I'm done rambling now. Sorry.
PeaCe

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:01 am

I was really excited at first, then I watched the "new features" videos and felt very underwhelmed. Watched it again the second time and felt very disappointed. There's nothing there that I couldn't do with another DAW and other tools. I guess the Push controller is the biggest draw for a lot of people. Then I remembered that I do have an APC40 that has not been used for almost a year now. The audio to midi feature is nice. But I already have Melodyne DNA for that. The Glue? I had been using Cytomic's for 3 years now. Don't get me wrong, I love Live8 for what it is now and will probably stick to it for a while. It has been stable for me. But I did, and still wish that it supported dual monitors and floating windows. That simplest of features would have probably draw me in more than what is offered with Live 9 right now. Max4Live? Not interested. I'm not a tweaker and have no time and desire to do any sort of programming devices and such. IMO, it'll just slows down the workflow. So yeah, I guess i'm not just a "lil disappointed".

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:02 am

For me the nice Live 8 to Live 8 Suite to 9 suite upgrade for Live 8 users was a brilliant marketing strategy. Until today when they hiked up the price $100... Now it's pretty sad.