Live has had Dual Monitor support since version 8.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Re: Live has had Dual Monitor support since version 8.

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:36 pm

the old cycle of randomness huh

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:37 pm

meds on an empty stomach. bad idea.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:where the hell have all you dual monitor fanboys been, maybe lost in all your monitor clutter?
lol :)

I personally hate using multiple monitors. I used 'em for a few years, but it just makes for too much mousing around. Keyboard shortcuts are where it's at! Also switching between laptop and multi-monitors drove me nuts.

That said, I just wanted to point out in general that the concept was pretty cool. I didn't realize you could pop windows out like that. It makes me excited for other "interfaces" I could try creating in M4L in a few months.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:45 pm

funken wrote:it was his medicine I was giving him a taste of
sounds good :roll:

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:49 pm

M4L has always been awesome, just clunky and unpredictable.
I'm really glad Ableton took that risk, hopfully we see proof of it stabilizing with Live 9.

There is gonna be a whole mess of new M4L devices once people get it in Suite 9.

funken, bess believe you selling it.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:05 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:funny thing is, this has been doable for 3 years now
so why do you not see people doing this more often?
how come maxforlive.com is not flooded with floating mixers etc.

because it's the most asked for feature that promotes bad workflow.

I'm surprised that this is even news worthy to anyone.

synnack posted a floating mixer a while back to to prove it could be done.

where the hell have all you dual monitor fanboys been, maybe lost in all your monitor clutter?

Well for me, the mixer is a smaller deal than being able to see/edit clips on a second monitor. The price of Max (which I do not own) was not worth it to me just for a floating mixer, though that is a really great feature. So is the clip view float-able via Max?
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:12 pm

let me be clear

I built that mixer in about 30 mins.
If I actually cared, it could probably do some cool stuff.
It's not a floating of the Mixer, Its like a floating window that controls the mixer, and receives control from the mixer.

I agree, seeing multiple clips would be more useful to people.
Although you cant really do that natively in Live, you can sort of imitate it with M4L trickery.

M4L is capable of whatever Live allows it to access, with the exception of a few deepend quirks that most people never discover on a generalized level.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Well, that still boils down to the same old question: Do I want to spend what little free time I have writing music, or creating a floating clip view? I'd still like to see a real modular design, but I'm not holding my breath. Will continue working on one big screen, nbd.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:29 pm

And thats a good question.
I really like M4L and I have enjoyed learning it, but the result has been very little music made. I finally gave it a rest and strated making music again.

that said, there are many more Max tutorials than ever before, as well as people willing to build tools people want/need.

It surprizes me with all the whining about Dual Monitor support that we havent seen more of this. Or tons of M4L devices ready to download at maxforlive.com, for people who dont want to edit max patches, just use them.

I'm also surprized how much misunderstanding there still is about M4L, it's been out for 3 years already.

funken, make yourself useful, build an M4L floating mixer with multiple clip viewing emulation sell it on your site and make some med money.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:07 pm

it's probably that most of the people who want dual monitor support don't have M4L.

they couldn't afford it because it costs the same as a spare monitor and they don't have time to program it because bitching about not having dual monitors is very time consuming. :P

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:33 pm

MAGNETO_66

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:55 pm

H20nly wrote:it's probably that most of the people who want dual monitor support don't have M4L.

they couldn't afford it because it costs the same as a spare monitor and they don't have time to program it because bitching about not having dual monitors is very time consuming. :P
Well i usually respect other people's point of view so please try to do the same … buying M4L or not should be an options, not a MUST … And maybe someone would like to do music, not spending his time programming (i already do it at my bureau !) … ANd Just to get something that all the other DAWS have since a long time ..!!! Having a full screen mixer window on one monitor and the arrangement view on a second one should be a BASIC feature … Ableton decided to keep ignoring it, OK i complain it and feel very disappointed, and so do many other users … If You are very satisfied by Ableton's choices, well good for You but there are people thinking different ….!!!
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:22 pm

it was a joke.

having said that, i believe that Ableton have kept their DAW to a single window intentionally.

lastly, don't let all the threads speaking as though this minuscule bit of general information is unbending gospel. Live 9 hasn't been released yet... was there a bullet point on the page that said: no dual monitor support
:?:

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Yes. See my "Float Mixer" device here to see how to do this:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... loat-mixer
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:55 pm

JuanSOLO wrote: It's not a floating of the Mixer, Its like a floating window that controls the mixer, and receives control from the mixer.
So ... no real multi monitor support?

Not sure what the problem is with the basic concept. There are 3x23' monitors in my studio but when I'm working with live I'm constantly resizing the arrange view, MIDI editor, mixer and browser while two 23' monitors just sit there. I put up with it because it's a great program but the lack of this feature is simply bizarre considering this is one of the most innovative audio apps available.

Just what is the problem with implementing this most basic of feature in 2012? I've been running multi monitors for 15 years now. Pretty much every studio I go to has the same. Spend some time in bigger recording setup where Live is just one of several programs in constant use and it's obvious how vital this feature is.

What a perfect opportunity to include it in Live 9.
Last edited by Scaper7 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.