Post your Live 9 upgrade path and price

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ian_halsall

Re: Post your Live 9 upgrade path and price

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:41 pm

did you get an automated email response from the shop? if so they will have to honour it

Ghost Mutt

Post by Ghost Mutt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Yeah i did and i figured the same thing.
Invoice said the same price but made no mention of upg to 9
Saved the screenshot of the cart overview to be safe.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Ableton_David wrote:if you upgrade from Suite 8 to Live 9 Standard, you'll retain all Instruments and other extras that you had with Suite 8. You won't get any of the new content with Live 9 Suite that isn't in Live 9 Standard, however.

So to be clear:
If I own Live 8 suite, max4live, retro synths, drum machines and latin percussion, then according to the live 9 to suite 9 feature comparison, the only things I'd be "missing out on" are:

The session drum packs, the orchestral instrument packs, the forge and samplification?

In other words, all the Live packs I don't want anyway, cool that's just saved me a few quid.

Of course, that would also give me the option of getting a discounted upgrade to suite 9 with a free suite 10 when live 10 is announced while simultaneously giving the finger to all the suckers that bought suite 9 for full price.

Seems to me that Ableton really doesn't want me to upgrade to suite 9

nutterwithbutter

Post by nutterwithbutter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:09 pm

I have Live 8 standard

Upgrade to Suite 8 + free upgrade to suite 9 = EUR 179
Push Alone (coming soon) - EUR 499
Total if I act now and get push later EUR 678

Push and Upgrade to Suite 9 (coming soon) - 798

Looks like I should act now...but want to see the changes to arrangement view first....and I can't believe I am paying for an upgrade without dual monitor support. But hey, there is always Live 10

bhairav7

Post by bhairav7 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:28 pm

I think if you read everything that's been posted the complaining is much ado about nothing, albeit caused by poor communication on Ableton's behalf.

Live 9 isn't being released for another 3-5 months. If you currently have Suite 8 you're already maxed out and there is nothing that Ableton can sell you *for now* (Oct 2012). As a company with bills to pay they also can't just give you a free upgrade to their newest software that has taken years of development.

However if you aren't maxed out on Ableton software, with Suite 8 they have a product to offer to incentivize current purchases with an early adopter discount. #1 this will give them a cash infusion and #2 it will prevent sales from flat-lining as everyone waits for the Live 9 release. By also displaying what the upgrade costs will be to Live 9 in 3-5 months, they make it a no-brainer for these owners to help them out in the short term and receive a great deal.

Ableton_David's comments are telling us that for current maxed out Suite 8 owners, when the Live/Suite 9 release does come next year Ableton will indeed give you a comparable deal to incentivize your purchase. However in October of 2012 they currently have nothing more that they can sell you on the software side, and aren't going to ask you to pay for a product that you won't receive for 5 months.

This of course could have been solved by displaying what that upgrade price will be in the future for you, with a clearly demarcated "coming soon/upon release". Everyone was right to complain about the appearance of unfairness, but in the end it doesn't look to be the case.

thecageofconsent

Post by thecageofconsent » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:19 pm

bhairav7 wrote:I think if you read everything that's been posted the complaining is much ado about nothing, albeit caused by poor communication on Ableton's behalf.

Live 9 isn't being released for another 3-5 months. If you currently have Suite 8 you're already maxed out and there is nothing that Ableton can sell you *for now* (Oct 2012). As a company with bills to pay they also can't just give you a free upgrade to their newest software that has taken years of development.

However if you aren't maxed out on Ableton software, with Suite 8 they have a product to offer to incentivize current purchases with an early adopter discount. #1 this will give them a cash infusion and #2 it will prevent sales from flat-lining as everyone waits for the Live 9 release. By also displaying what the upgrade costs will be to Live 9 in 3-5 months, they make it a no-brainer for these owners to help them out in the short term and receive a great deal.

Ableton_David's comments are telling us that for current maxed out Suite 8 owners, when the Live/Suite 9 release does come next year Ableton will indeed give you a comparable deal to incentivize your purchase. However in October of 2012 they currently have nothing more that they can sell you on the software side, and aren't going to ask you to pay for a product that you won't receive for 5 months.

This of course could have been solved by displaying what that upgrade price will be in the future for you, with a clearly demarcated "coming soon/upon release". Everyone was right to complain about the appearance of unfairness, but in the end it doesn't look to be the case.
True. Very true. IT would be good to know now what the price for Push and Live 9 Suite will be for existing Live 8 Suite + Max For Live owners, so I know how many kidneys to sell.
Core i5 PC / Ableton Live 8 Suite / Novation Impulse 49 / Akai MPK Mini / Alesis M1 520 Active Monitors /
Audio Technika ATH-M50 Headphones / Native Instruments Komplete 8 / Native Instruments Maschine / U-HE Diva
http://soundcloud.com/explodingsands

m127

Post by m127 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:11 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Image
How you got that price?
I own Live 8 w M4L, but my upgrade to suite 8 is $299. Not happening.

I also was excited to upgrade to Live plus Push, but come on!, $728 is ridiculously expensive.
$500 is the most I would pay, unless Push also brings me coffee and keeps my feet warm.

Shame. Excitement turned off completely now.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:19 pm

massenmedium wrote:Anyway -

Suite 8 to Push + Suite 9 = €649
Now - €698, FWIW.

Although the problem with the site was supposedly only to do with the price for upgrading to Suite 8...

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:22 pm

The prices initial posted were erroneously too low for upgrades to Suite 8. Apologies on our end for the confusion - the current prices are the correct ones.

m127

Post by m127 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Ableton_David wrote:The prices initial posted were erroneously too low for upgrades to Suite 8. Apologies on our end for the confusion - the current prices are the correct ones.
Hi David. Please revise your Push upgrade paths. Outrageously expensive.

As I said, I own Live 8 plus M4L and my upgrade price is $728.
With this price you guys make it financially impossible to upgrade.
My total cost was already about $1000 for what I own so far, and so I feel there is zero consideration to this fact.

Live Standard with Push price for NEW users is about US $1000.
Live Standard with Push UPGRADE price for current Live 8 Standard with M4L users like myself is about US $728.

Too steep.

Particularly, you are not even considering your own competition like NI Maschine. You are not even competing vs yourselves in scenarios like: just update to Live 9 Standard = $159 and you have about $500 left to add ANY state of the art controller you can find, such as a full licensed Maschine including the Maschine HW.

Really hope you can consider making a tad easier to support your enterprise for current users.

I know I won't upgrade at these prices, even if I wanted to, I can't pay $728 for a controller. The new features and improvements do not warrant a $159 either.

You know software based hw controllers like this have a limited life. Take Maschine as well, the first version of the HW lasted about two years...

Help us help you!!

Congrats to your few rich users though, probably they won't mind.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:48 pm

scientist wrote:USA, from 8 Suite to
...9 suite: $299
...9 standard: $159
...9 suite, push: $848
...9 standard, push: $728
Same for me.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:50 pm

m127 wrote:
Ableton_David wrote:The prices initial posted were erroneously too low for upgrades to Suite 8. Apologies on our end for the confusion - the current prices are the correct ones.

My total cost was already about $1000 for what I own so far, and so I feel there is zero consideration to this fact.

Live Standard with Push UPGRADE price for current Live 8 Standard with M4L users like myself is about US $728.

Too steep.

Particularly, you are not even considering your own competition like NI Maschine. You are not even competing vs yourselves in scenarios like: just update to Live 9 Standard = $159 and you have about $500 left to add ANY state of the art controller you can find, such as a full licensed Maschine including the Maschine HW.

Really hope you can consider making a tad easier to support your enterprise for current users.

I know I won't upgrade at these prices, even if I wanted to, I can't pay $728 for a controller. The new features and improvements do not warrant a $159 either.

You know software based hw controllers like this have a limited life. Take Maschine as well, the first version of the HW lasted about two years...
Don't get your reasoning. That's the price for an upgrade to the software AND a really really nice controller with displays and a load of velocity and pressure sensitive pads with RGB LEDs. And why would it have a limited life? It's MIDI controlled and will be useful as long it works.

rbro

Post by rbro » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Is there a phone number for Ableton Sales? I bought the original boxed Suite, I think Live 5? then upgraded to 7 (skipped 6) and then 8 (non-suite), my upgrade path seems like it should take into account an original purchase of Suite? Not sure but it would be great to talk to a human. I wish I jumped on that $104 price yesterday.....damn.

m127

Post by m127 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:12 pm

massenmedium wrote:
m127 wrote:

Too steep.

Don't get your reasoning. That's the price for an upgrade to the software AND a really really nice controller with displays and a load of velocity and pressure sensitive pads with RGB LEDs. And why would it have a limited life? It's MIDI controlled and will be useful as long it works.
The reasoning is simple: price.

I don't see a competitive advantage.
And I especially don't see a customer loyalty advantage in the scenarios I already explained.

You are happy with the pricing? Good for the few of you. I just can't afford the upgrade at this price. And I am sad because I really wanted to get Push.

merges

Post by merges » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:16 pm

bhairav7 wrote:Ableton_David's comments are telling us that for current maxed out Suite 8 owners, when the Live/Suite 9 release does come next year Ableton will indeed give you a comparable deal to incentivize your purchase. However in October of 2012 they currently have nothing more that they can sell you on the software side, and aren't going to ask you to pay for a product that you won't receive for 5 months.
That is inaccurate. The comments indicated that *a discount* will be offered, not necessarily a comparable deal to incentivize our purchase.
Ableton_David wrote:Existing Suite 8 owners will be offered an exclusive introductory discount on upgrades to Live 9 Suite, to be made available upon release. This introductory discount is not yet shown on the website, as Live 9 Suite is not yet available. We apologize for any confusion or frustration from our oversight in not making this discount clear on ableton.com, and ask for your patience as we iron out the kinks in our new site.
From viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185933&start=0

The discount is not identified or detailed, so there is no way to know whether or not it will be a comparable deal.