Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
exper

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by exper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 pm

kcearl wrote:
Szuumm wrote:Yesterday's prices were wrong... you snooze, you lose.
no..Ableton do :lol:
EXACTLY...

Stealth Elf wrote:Pretty infuriating to be honest. If a product is wrongly priced in a shop and you take it to the counter they sell it to you for that price. This feels like I've take it to the counter and they've snatched it out of my hands and slapped a bigger price tag on it. Today has gone from "Ableton take my money!" to "What's the url for Bitwig's website again?".
EXACTLY...

Bad form on all levels. If it was a mistake, and people were talking about buying it, they should have honored it. What better. Pissed off people who now will think twice about buying an ableton upgrade, and selling less copies at the higher amount, OR, acknowledging the mistake and leaving it as is. A nice BONUS to those of us who are longtime Live users who NEVER received the PROMISED features that were supposed to be part of LIVE 8 (SHARE). Add the that the endless beta updates that still never solve many issues, and a 2 year wait, you'd think they'd just go with it. As it is now, I use Live far less that I used to, mainly due to using more hardware now, and heck, perhaps I should just cut and run now if this is how things are going to be...

(And don't tell me about how Suite 9 will have M4L included, so the extra cost is worth it. M4L is a function of Suite 9, so it doesn't have the same perceived value anymore, does it?)

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Stealth Elf wrote:Pretty infuriating to be honest. If a product is wrongly priced in a shop and you take it to the counter they sell it to you for that price. This feels like I've take it to the counter and they've snatched it out of my hands and slapped a bigger price tag on it. Today has gone from "Ableton take my money!" to "What's the url for Bitwig's website again?".
Did you actually order it though? The shop in your analogy would be totally within their rights to change the price the following day too.

exper

Post by exper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Ableton_David wrote:To everyone who is confused/frustrated about the price change - again, apologies on our end for this. It's an error that went up yesterday and that we had to correct today. Please get in touch with customer care if you had a cart going or were going to buy, at http://ableton.com/support/contact.
Is this saying they will still honor yesterday's price if we contact support? If so this should be made explicit. I was going to buy last night, but since I have a slower connection at home, I was waiting until today to download it at work. This was before the $100 price increase...

DJ_Zombot

Post by DJ_Zombot » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 pm

They had a similar snafu when they had the 33% off sale and for a brief period the prices were 33% of the price, not 33% off. My experience with Ableton is if the price seems too good/too low, checkout ASAP!

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:10 pm

exper wrote:
Ableton_David wrote:To everyone who is confused/frustrated about the price change - again, apologies on our end for this. It's an error that went up yesterday and that we had to correct today. Please get in touch with customer care if you had a cart going or were going to buy, at http://ableton.com/support/contact.
Is this saying they will still honor yesterday's price if we contact support? If so this should be made explicit. I was going to buy last night, but since I have a slower connection at home, I was waiting until today to download it at work. This was before the $100 price increase...
They are saying if you had it in your cart you should get in touch with customer care.

Seems fair enough.

exper

Post by exper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:13 pm

massenmedium wrote:
exper wrote:
They are saying if you had it in your cart you should get in touch with customer care.

Seems fair enough.
Yes, but he said "or were going to buy it". I didn't have it in the cart yet, but I WAS going to buy it.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:16 pm

exper wrote:Yes, but he said "or were going to buy it". I didn't have it in the cart yet, but I WAS going to buy it.
Well in that case, and I might be going out on a limb here, perhaps you should.... get in touch with customer care?

exper

Post by exper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:18 pm

massenmedium wrote:
exper wrote:Yes, but he said "or were going to buy it". I didn't have it in the cart yet, but I WAS going to buy it.
Well in that case, and I might be going out on a limb here, perhaps you should.... get in touch with customer care?
Thanks, I just did. :|

kcearl

Post by kcearl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Ableton_David wrote:To everyone who is confused/frustrated about the price change - again, apologies on our end for this. It's an error that went up yesterday and that we had to correct today. Please get in touch with customer care if you had a cart going or were going to buy, at http://ableton.com/support/contact. Please also allow us some time to get back to you - our support team is working quite hard at the moment, as you might imagine.

In the mean time, for those asking about the specific Suite 8 introductory discount for upgrading to Live 9 Suite - we're working to get that show on ableton.com as soon as possible.

Thanks for bearing with us while we sort things out with the new site!

have done, thanks

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:20 pm

This is not good at all. They lose a lot with these kinds of snafus and the upgrade price is now not reasonable at all... I was going to purchase it today assuming that prices are fixed, who knows what price they have tomorrow, or next week, or a month from now, or next quarter, or next year...

Stealth Elf

Post by Stealth Elf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:27 pm

kcearl wrote:

thats called consumer power...if bitwigs less that $284 youre quids in :mrgreen:
The upgrade to Suite is £200/$330 for me and lets not forget that this is an *upgrade* price not a new purchase. That's already more than buying most competitors outright.

Really I'd like to stick with Ableton because I'm used to it and I like the format but I don't make enough money to keep up with this kind of mark up.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Stealth Elf wrote:The upgrade to Suite is £200/$330 for me and lets not forget that this is an *upgrade* price not a new purchase. That's already more than buying most competitors outright.

Really I'd like to stick with Ableton because I'm used to it and I like the format but I don't make enough money to keep up with this kind of mark up.
What are you upgrading from, may I ask?

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:34 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:They lose a lot with these kinds of snafus and the upgrade price is now not reasonable at all...
I guess this also affects the second hand price negatively in case one should decide to sell the license?
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

exper

Post by exper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Stealth Elf wrote:
kcearl wrote:

thats called consumer power...if bitwigs less that $284 youre quids in :mrgreen:
The upgrade to Suite is £200/$330 for me and lets not forget that this is an *upgrade* price not a new purchase. That's already more than buying most competitors outright.

+1

Its unreal that Ableton is by far the most expensive DAW/audio app/whatever. It has the highest cost for what most other apps have standard. Yes, its main standout is the session view, but this is becoming less unique with other pattern based programs like Maschine and the upcoming Bitwig...

Stealth Elf

Post by Stealth Elf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 pm

massenmedium wrote:
Stealth Elf wrote:The upgrade to Suite is £200/$330 for me and lets not forget that this is an *upgrade* price not a new purchase. That's already more than buying most competitors outright.

What are you upgrading from, may I ask?
Live 8 boxed.