Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
massenmedium

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:40 pm

exper wrote:The truth of it is, I could care less about the content.
Sure. But all that guff probably also helps them sell a lot more copies.
exper wrote:The only draws for me are Collision/Corpus and M4L.
Just get those then if that's what you're really interested in. I reckon you'll be able to find second hand licenses for M4L even more easily now. Or if it's still a similar price to get the full bundle just consider that a bit of a bonus.

Or don't.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Stealth Elf wrote:but what feels unfair, surely by anyone's standard, in this situation is the fact that I had the product listed at the cheaper price sitting in the shopping *cart*. I didn't just see it and consider it, this isn't the same as coming back to a store the next day. This is the equivalent of having a shop assistant walk up to you while you are shopping, taking something out of your basket and slapping an extra 70 euros on it. How many people are going to go up to the counter and feel good about their purchase after that?
Yes I think you're articulating here exactly what a few people seem to be basing their opinion of the "actual" offers on. Which is a feeling of disappointment (and entitlement) based entirely on a mistake. Sure, you can make a decision that way.

Mistakes happen, in shops too. I'm pretty sure Ableton aren't very happy about all this either. Is it "fair" from their point of view that people should be demanding a price well below what they had really intended to charge according to their business and marketing plans and development costs?

kcearl

Post by kcearl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:52 pm

everyone take a stress pill :)

Id contact support and see what they say...one thing with Ableton is they have a great support team

for a great product

and theyre handsome

so very very handsome

$179 please :)

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:24 pm

I Think when you advetise a price, atleast within the EU, you have to sell the product at the advetised price. Unless it is a clear mistake on the sellers part ( not in this case ). So write support an demand the goods for the previous price...

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 pm

kitekrazy wrote:
exper wrote:
massenmedium wrote: So it's £200 for all the Suite instruments and content and a free upgrade to Suite 9 including M4L?

If you can't afford or don't want it or don't want to pay that amount of course that's one thing, but do you really think that's not a fair price?

Apparently massenmedium, due to this thread, many people do not! People were happy with the price for the Suite 8 upgrade yesterday. Today, not so much. But please, don't try to talk down to someone because they are not happy with the high cost of Live's upgrades. They are very high compared to everything else, and for most of us, this is a hobby. Expense is a very real issue to people. Live and its upgrades used to be much more affordable.
I think the issue is making a $100 mistake in the pricing. As for massenmedium, there are a lot more competitors in the DAW market. Some where probably going to use credit for this upgrade. $194 vs. $299 seems to make no sale an easier decision. They might take a portion of that and upgrade a VST instead.

Most developers create a loyalty by offering generous upgrades. When people have been anxious for an upgrade the worst thing you can do is screw up the upgrade pricing.
Totally agree. Something like this backfires *big* time. Sorry, BIG TIME. It's bad marketing of the worst kind.

Now, this is what they should have done: "Sorry wrong pricing, but we keep it in place for ten days and then we increase the price. Have fun."

What they did: "We can't configure our back-end server so any time you check beware for surprises. And yes we are greedy and increased the price just to annoy prospects..."

PS: Izotope had a somewhat similar issue with their Ozone 5 upgrades that had a horrendous increase in pricing. People complained about this on the forums for days and days until Izotope gave in and gave a special discount for a short time. So it helps to raise this issue over and over as this provides a negative image of the product release.
Last edited by kent_sandvik on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Sorry, I didn't read this 15 pages topic but what is that mess around the upgrade price policy ????? :evil:

Here is a copy of the email I've just sent to ableton support team:
"Hi,

Great news yesterday with Live 9 and the Push controller.

Unfortunately, your pricing policy was yesterday unfair for the Live 8 suite owner. Today, my Live 9 upgrade offer rise from 134 EUROS to 209 EUROS !!! :-( As a long time Live owner (since Live 4), I find that this price change is REALLY unfair. I was planning to take this offer before the end of November 2012. But 209 EUROS instead of 134 EUROS for added plug-ins and 3 GB of samples I will never use, no thanks ! That's more than a full Apple Logic license (just checked at 179,99 EUROS) ...

You have to know that I'm not the type of guy who is used to complain about prices but this time that's enough ! I might not upgrade to Live 9 unless you will maintain the price I was offered yesterday (134 EUROS).

Best regards from a long time but unhappy customer,
Hédi K."
Hédi K.

gkillmaster

Post by gkillmaster » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:30 pm

polyslax wrote:Yesterday's price tempted me to throw caution to the wind... anyone remember the state of Live 8 at release? 8O

Today's price means I'm content to wait and see how good the beta testing was.
my thoughts exactly...

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 pm

I will meet with the Ableton group at AES/San Francisco this Saturday or Sunday. Let's see what they say and I will report back.

PS: Oh and if you are there also, please stop by their booth and mention this upgrade price hike/mistake issue. The more complain, the better chance this will be fixed.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:
exper wrote:

Apparently massenmedium, due to this thread, many people do not! People were happy with the price for the Suite 8 upgrade yesterday. Today, not so much. But please, don't try to talk down to someone because they are not happy with the high cost of Live's upgrades. They are very high compared to everything else, and for most of us, this is a hobby. Expense is a very real issue to people. Live and its upgrades used to be much more affordable.
I think the issue is making a $100 mistake in the pricing. As for massenmedium, there are a lot more competitors in the DAW market. Some where probably going to use credit for this upgrade. $194 vs. $299 seems to make no sale an easier decision. They might take a portion of that and upgrade a VST instead.

Most developers create a loyalty by offering generous upgrades. When people have been anxious for an upgrade the worst thing you can do is screw up the upgrade pricing.
Totally agree. Something like this backfires *big* time. Sorry, BIG TIME. It's bad marketing of the worst kind.

Now, this is what they should have done: "Sorry wrong pricing, but we keep it in place for ten days and then we increase the price. Have fun."

What they did: "We can't configure our back-end server so any time you check beware for surprises. And yes we are greedy and increased the price just to annoy prospects..."

PS: Izotope had a somewhat similar issue with their Ozone 5 upgrades that had a horrendous increase in pricing. People complained about this on the forums for days and days until Izotope gave in and gave a special discount for a short time. So it helps to raise this issue over and over as this provides a negative image of the product release.
The worst screw up was when Propellerhead left out Reason5/Record users in the upgrade to Reason 6. There was plenty of bitching and the Props guys came up with something. It wasn't just only an apology either.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:58 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:Totally agree. Something like this backfires *big* time. Sorry, BIG TIME. It's bad marketing of the worst kind.
Why? They made an error. Give them a break, it's easy - you're not losing anything.
kent_sandvik wrote:What they did: "We can't configure our back-end server so any time you check beware for surprises. And yes we are greedy and increased the price just to annoy prospects..."
The price went back to the intended level. You're not losing anything and it's no more greedy. If they lose money on new updates eventually there won't be any Ableton Live.

Nobody is losing out. How are you losing anything that the price is set at the originally intended level. They made a mistake. Do you like this product and this company? If not, just don't buy it. Frankly some of this is just embarrassing.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:59 pm

massenmedium wrote:
kent_sandvik wrote:Totally agree. Something like this backfires *big* time. Sorry, BIG TIME. It's bad marketing of the worst kind.
Why? They made an error. Give them a break, it's easy - you're not losing anything.
kent_sandvik wrote:What they did: "We can't configure our back-end server so any time you check beware for surprises. And yes we are greedy and increased the price just to annoy prospects..."
The price went back to the intended level. You're not losing anything and it's no more greedy. If they lose money on new updates eventually there won't be any Ableton Live.

Nobody is losing out. How are you losing anything that the price is set at the originally intended level. They made a mistake. Do you like this product and this company? If not, just don't buy it. Frankly some of this is just embarrassing.
I'm just pointing out that a mistake is a mistake, that happens. But to just raise prices to the normal level without a grace period is very, very, sorry VERY bad marketing. Just makes people write bad things about the company and the new release. Not worth the small sums of missed revenue. Most likely they lose revenue instead as today a lot of revenue has to do with the perceived user satisfaction of a company and its products.

BTW I've supported Ableton with upgrades since 2.1 days. Yesterday I was praising Ableton for the generous Live 8 suite upgrade. Today I tell people to be wary of their constantly fluxating pricing ideas.
Last edited by kent_sandvik on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:00 pm

The ONLY party that has lost out here is Ableton.

Stop embarrassing yourselves.

poonti

Post by poonti » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:00 pm

gkillmaster wrote:
polyslax wrote:Yesterday's price tempted me to throw caution to the wind... anyone remember the state of Live 8 at release? 8O

Today's price means I'm content to wait and see how good the beta testing was.
my thoughts exactly...
Yesterday, drunken sailor. Today, sober accountant! Hey poly, long time since I've seen you at elektron-users: miss your tunes!

freqn

Post by freqn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:34 pm

I saw the footage for Live 9 which triggered a desire to get back into making music. I was going to buy this weekend but the upgrade price from Live 8 to suite jumped from $194 to $299 for me, so now I can't. I'm having second thoughts about upgrading period now since I'll have to wait for who knows how long to have the extra $$. Thanks for burning your long time customers, Ableton. Your actions have suffocated your sense of positive customer experience and satisfaction.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:41 pm

i wonder if you'd all moan this hard if the mistake was in your favor??

i put it in my cart yesterday and it cost 180... today i went to check out and it was 124 WTF Ableton1?!.. i almost bought this yesterday.

way to lose a long time customer who can't accept that the wrong price tag was on an item. :roll:

que but i deserve it cuz i saw it arguments in 3...2...