L9 Convert Audio to MIDI x L8 Extract Groove

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rsaulo

L9 Convert Audio to MIDI x L8 Extract Groove

Post by rsaulo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:45 pm

In Live 8, Im used to get an audio clip, like a vocal one with an idea, click "Extract Groove" and use the MIDI clip to work with the melody.

Wondering now what is the difference from the new "Convert audio to MIDI" feature from L9? I undestand the drums part that use an kit to map the sounds but, with melody I think it's the same but with an better algorithm ?

Any thoughts ?

oddstep

Re: L9 Convert Audio to MIDI x L8 Extract Groove

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:07 pm

The big difference is its not just transients that are being transcribed into midi, its pitch information. I'd expect the pitch extraction to be an entirely separate development to the extract groove algorithm.... Particularly because its extracting chords, not just monophonic lines. It looks really handy; both as a way of quickly getting ideas from vocalists, field recordings etc and as a way of learning more about music.

jasper

Post by jasper » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:05 pm

The feature you're asking about (which is one of an astronomically awesome palette by the way)..

You can put an AUDIO clip into Live, and Live will hear the audio, and give you the midi notes.

Not only that, this also involves "timbre detection" which means notes of different sonic character are detected,
meaning Live will listen to audio of drums, and, based on the sound of each drum (kick, snare, hi hat, etc), will
generate the midi notes for each different drum in the pattern.

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Very nice.

That way the will be alowed to test and compare both.

I think this will be a fantastic way to transform ideas to songs, especially for people like me that does not play an instrument very good :evil:

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:27 pm

jasper wrote:this also involves "timbre detection" which means notes of different sonic character are detected,
meaning Live will listen to audio of drums, and, based on the sound of each drum (kick, snare, hi hat, etc), will
generate the midi notes for each different drum in the pattern.
That is #%^*€£¥%# AWESOME!!!!!

:D

In what this compare to melodyne?

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:25 pm

This feature and the inclusion of M4L will be what drives me to upgrade.

on the one hand it will be great for humming your ideas, but also it will open up amazing possibilities for players of non keyboard based instruments.

I can't wait to try it out on my guitar ramblings.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)