New look Ableton website.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rosko

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by Rosko » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:02 pm

eric_c wrote:The overall design sense of Ableton (new site, Live 9 and Push) is really strong, especially when compared to other music software and hardware makers. They have always had a look that seemed very carefully considered and executed with far less emphasis on decoration and superfluous elements. I'm really enjoying the new look, but I can understand the website could stylistically be a bit of an acquired taste. I certainly wouldn't say it looks rushed though, quite the opposite - it comes off as very well crafted and carefully built to me (especially considering the entire site is responsive - try resizing your browser window to phone-size). I think the work is great and commend whoever at Ableton is responsible for it!
Agree.

Its pretty modern looking imo it says ableton are looking to the future.

Not so keen on the forum though.

Karlstens

Post by Karlstens » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Modern? You gotta be kidding me.

It looks like the website has been cut & pasted from Geocities. When I logged on to it over the weekend, I seriously thought Ableton had been hacked due to the recent Live 9 news. But nope, this is a fate far worse than being hacked... THE MARKETING DEPARTMENT HAS TAKING OVER ABLETON. They'll just bundle the shit out of all their existing assets whilst developing at a snails pace. I honestly thought Ableton was rock solid over the past 5 years, but now I feel totally spun out.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Think the new design and layout is pretty good and up to date. Main issue is some of the colours are out of kilter with the rest of the colour scheme (I'm looking at you turquoise). The top of the Packs page is the worst and looks like something from the 90's.

No excuse for the half hearted attempt to bring the forum in line with the new look. They really should have created a custom skin for it rather than changing a few of the colours here and there.

This along with the pricing cock up and the forum link going (amongst other issues), really does make you wonder what goes on in Ableton HQ. My best guess is that substantial amounts of alcohol and mind altering drugs are involved. Only other explanation is complete and utter incompetence in the first place, followed by a failure to test everything properly and finished with a failure to manage the issues properly when they became aware of them.

No excuse for any of it and you'd have thought they learnt their lesson after Live 8. But they obviously haven't.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

Karlstens

Post by Karlstens » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:29 am

They'll learn once Bitwig is released...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:35 am

jonny72 wrote:Think the new design and layout is pretty good and up to date. Main issue is some of the colours are out of kilter with the rest of the colour scheme (I'm looking at you turquoise). The top of the Packs page is the worst and looks like something from the 90's.
I think what happened is the designer saw an image of Session view, complete with nasty coloured clips and said "hey, I'll use the colours from the app and everyone will feel immediately at home". They probably thought they were integrating.

Here's your turquoise and your lavender sir, why not try a little #00FF00 while you are at it.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:03 am

i'm used to the new look now, logo, (angstrm re-styled) forum

i use indirect vision on the main site, not really looking, like it was a meat packing plant or something
Last edited by simmerdown on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:05 am

Beige? Blue? Glaring white? UGH! :x

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:09 am

hideous, you gotta do the custom style

Earwax69

Forum color...

Post by Earwax69 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:24 am

hu... anyway to get the white forum back? this weird colors are killing my eyes.

I though it was a temporary glitch..

http://s12.postimage.org/rrlmyhhwb/ableton_ugly.png

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 am

burningfeetman wrote:They'll just bundle the shit out of all their existing assets whilst developing at a snails pace.
Well described :lol:

login

Post by login » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:36 am

The design is good, functional and minimalist, the color scheme is the one that is akward.

[art]

Post by [art] » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:14 am

i personally love the new site. easy to see why they hid the forum, it's pretty embarrassing to be honest

netchaiev

Post by netchaiev » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:38 am

The new website is basically a OK tumbler page.
Hard to tell when do you stop scrolling down!
Futura font....hmm
MBP 2011/i7/10.8/Live 8 Suite/M4L+Launchpad+TF+KorgNano.
http://soundcloud.com/netchaiev
http://www.vimeo.com/user408737

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 pm

The entire team of web developers at Ableton should be fired!

My 70 year old computer illiterate blind mother could create a better website.

Bring back the old design!!!!!!
Last edited by Bizon on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Angstrom wrote:
jonny72 wrote:Think the new design and layout is pretty good and up to date. Main issue is some of the colours are out of kilter with the rest of the colour scheme (I'm looking at you turquoise). The top of the Packs page is the worst and looks like something from the 90's.
I think what happened is the designer saw an image of Session view, complete with nasty coloured clips and said "hey, I'll use the colours from the app and everyone will feel immediately at home". They probably thought they were integrating.

Here's your turquoise and your lavender sir, why not try a little #00FF00 while you are at it.
This is actually a very feasible explanation. Well done!
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5