Ableton Support response to Live 9 PDC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CooCooCaCha

Ableton Support response to Live 9 PDC

Post by CooCooCaCha » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:16 pm

A few days ago I emailed Ableton Support the following email:
Hi,
I was wondering if the plugin delay compensation issues were fixed in Live 9?

There were two that affected me:
1. Automation was not properly delay compensated
2. Effect plugins were not synced properly if there were other plugins before them in the effects chain

Thanks
and I got the response:
EDIT: I've just realized that I'm not supposed to post Ableton support emails. Sorry everyone. To summarize the email they said that they are fixing SRC issues with built-in plugins. In other words, they didn't address my question about PDC at all...

This response confuses me because I was unaware that sample rate conversion had anything to do with the two plugin delay compensation issues I specified.

I'm not an expert on audio programming so maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could explain what Ableton's response means? I also figured you guys would be interested in a response.
Last edited by CooCooCaCha on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3dot...

Re: Ableton Support response to Live 9 PDC

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:23 pm

he's talking about internal SRC of the devices/internals in live...(I think)...
for instance..
EQ8 in "high quality" mode may cause timing errors in current L8...
resulting in a slightly out of phase signal (in relation to the unprocessed dry signal)

overall the response is good...
it translates:
"it has been identified and addressed...some is already fixed...
all will be well towards the L9 release"...
here's to hoping.
:mrgreen:

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Improved or fixed?
What about external vst!s?

Ableton are in for a world of flame if V9 doesn't address all of the PDC issues.....
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm

they're in for a world of flame regardless of what they do.

banned

Post by banned » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:30 pm

[…] We also spent time on the SRC for The Glue, but as this is a new device, I can't say it is an improvement.

The SRC algorithm of the overall application is being addressed in current development, and scheduled for completion in time with the release of Live 9.
That first line is funny - I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that Glue Compressor has a latency of *1* sample. I can certainly live with that not being compensated for. :D

The last bit is very promising though. I hope they tackle the outstanding issues before release.

CooCooCaCha

Post by CooCooCaCha » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm glad they are addressing delay issues with Live's built-in plugins, however, I'm concerned that the issues with 3rd party plugins aren't being addressed. This is a big deal for people who use synced effects like VolumeShaper, LFOTool, etc.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:45 pm

H20nly wrote:they're in for a world of flame regardless of what they do.
Ain't that the truth :\
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

andy_cytomic

Post by andy_cytomic » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:27 am

banned wrote:
[…] We also spent time on the SRC for The Glue, but as this is a new device, I can't say it is an improvement.

The SRC algorithm of the overall application is being addressed in current development, and scheduled for completion in time with the release of Live 9.
That first line is funny - I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that Glue Compressor has a latency of *1* sample. I can certainly live with that not being compensated for. :D

The last bit is very promising though. I hope they tackle the outstanding issues before release.
The "Glue Compressor" device does not introduce any latency unless you engage the linear phase oversampling filters.
The Glue, The Drop, The Scream - https://www.cytomic.com

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:52 am

That reads more like they are bringing down latency of their native devices, instead of delaying objects due to latency introduced by any device.

broc

Post by broc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:58 am

Ableton's response doesn't answer the original questions.
So I think it means that PDC issues are *not* being addressed.

mharris

Post by mharris » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:15 am

Have you replied asking them to clarify?

I dont really see how PDC and SRC are related. Perhaps explain that you were specifically interested in PDC and that you dont understand their reply detailing SRC issues.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:12 pm

'Ableton does not authorize any publication of the content of this e-mail without the permission of the author.'
:)
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:05 pm

pdc for max4live devices was also an issue as far as i remember. hope that will be addressed too.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

- double post -

jtdj

Post by jtdj » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Its very disapointing after all these years of devepment that this issue is still not addressed. Ableton hides behind the "Live Tool/Instrument" functionality that it has, giving it the excuse that Ableton does not need to be a serious production tool. Yes Ableton has some nice features to use live, but lets face it the majority of those users are terrible DJ's and unispired button pushing "musicians". Ableton should be concetrating mainly on production features not press play "dj" features.