Fabfilter Mastering Bundle Vs Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JMFOne

Fabfilter Mastering Bundle Vs Live 9

Post by JMFOne » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:27 am

I have been waiting patiently for a sale for the mastering bundle from fabfilter to buy the EQ/Comp & Limiter.
With Live 9 do you think the EQ8, Glue Comp & new compressor will be as good if not better than the Fabfilter bundle? Bear in mind they will prob be the same price.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

JMFOne

Re: Fabfilter Mastering Bundle Vs Live 9

Post by JMFOne » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:47 am

Mate there is loads-the eq with analyser ala pro-q, the new filters in eq8. Then there is the graphic displays in the new compressor /gate ala pro-c/l.

I've heard the glue is a good alternative to psps vintage warmer?

Seems like live 9 is much better deal but i absolutely love fabfilter vests.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

spektralisk

Post by spektralisk » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:05 am

I was going to buy Fabfilter Pro-Q some time ago but decided to get only Pro-L and wait to see what Live9 will bring. I'm glad I didn't bought Pro-Q (although it's a killer) because now EQ8 in Live9 looks much more better that Live8. It have already sounded good enough for me and now with improved filters and spectrum it's exactly what I need. I also already own The Glue and it kicks ass :)

So I would recommend you to get only Pro-L because it's a top limiter, much better the Live's. Rest of Live's stuff is really good. New compressor and gate in Live9 also look promising.

Fernando Carvalho

Post by Fernando Carvalho » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 am

I would go for Live 9, and then go for This http://www.toneboosters.com/bus-tools/
This pack is 60€, amazing value. I think it gives the missing pieces for mastering.

And then, I would go back to fabfilter and get Saturn. That thing is just incredible.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:31 am

+ 1 for calling VSTs Vests.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

omutumo

Post by omutumo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Can the new EQ8 do linear phase?

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:39 pm

Don't forget the Fabfilter's mastering bundle have a lot of 'extra' features that the native Live Devices don't have:
• M/S tools in the compressor
• M/S AND stereo in the same view for PRO-Q
• More filter slopes, a max of 24 filters for PRO-Q
• 3 different compressor styles and program dependent attack and release curves for PRO-C
• Special routing options (for example listen to mid to duck the sides and much more) for PRO-C
• A/B comparision (don't underestimate this)
• Different oversampling modes
• The limiter of Live can't even be compared to PRO-L, totally different league. PRO-L is professional limiting, Live's limiter is ... euh you know ;)

And the PRO bundle contains two more plugins that Live's native ones can't beat
• De-esser: PRO-DS with lots of very handy features
• Gate: PRO-G that definitely beats live's native and very simplistic gate by providing much more and needed feautures.

Okay it may look like I'm just a Fabfilter fanboy, but I tried to compare everything very objective. Fabfilter's plugins just offer a lot more and often in a better way with more features. Live's Glue compressor is something else, PRO-C can't be compared with that one as both behave very differently. I LOVE my Cytomic Glue plugin btw, so I'm expecting the native Live device will behave the same way.

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:14 pm

It's not the tool, is who uses them :D

philipc

Post by philipc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm a huge Fabfilter fan and have the whole bundle. Nothing touches the sound quality of their filters. I use native Live EQ and compression in my live looping setup because third party effects introduce more latency than native effects but for mixing and so on it's Fabfilter all the way. It looks like EQ8 in particular will be getting an overhaul in Live 9 but they'd have to go some to match Pro-Q. I'm sure that Live 9's mixing/mastering tools will be great but I'm confident that they won't make the Fabfilter stuff redundant. I'll probably continue to use Live's tools for live use and Fabfilter for production.