Help: i7 with 4GB of Ram but Ableton keeps crashing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Upright

Help: i7 with 4GB of Ram but Ableton keeps crashing

Post by Upright » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 pm

Hey guys

I'm a new Ableton user and I'm having some issues with crashes..

At times Ableton will run fine for hours with no problems and at other times it will run for 30 min then crash..it's even crashed at start up. Today it crashed 3 times within 45 mins, so, I figured I better look to the forums for suggestions.

I am running the most recent version of Ableton on a 64-bit Windows 7 system with an i7 processor. I'm running Reason 6.5, Reaper and Maschine without any problems. Is there something I'm missing here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

login

Re: Help: i7 with 4GB of Ram but Ableton keeps crashing

Post by login » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:08 pm

Are you using a lot of sampled instruments? if so maybe you are running out of ram in Live 32 bit, try the 64 bit beta and see if it improves.

woodsdenis

Post by woodsdenis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Upright wrote:Hey guys

At times Ableton will run fine for hours with no problems and at other times it will run for 30 min then crash..it's even crashed at start up. Today it crashed 3 times within 45 mins, so, I figured I better look to the forums for suggestions.

I am running the most recent version of Ableton on a 64-bit Windows 7 system with an i7 processor. I'm running Reason 6.5, Reaper and Maschine without any problems. Is there something I'm missing here?

Mac or PC. Operating system ?

Upright

Post by Upright » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 pm

woodsdenis wrote:
Upright wrote:Hey guys

Mac or PC. Operating system ?

PC (Windows 7)

Upright

Post by Upright » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:21 pm

login wrote:Are you using a lot of sampled instruments? if so maybe you are running out of ram in Live 32 bit, try the 64 bit beta and see if it improves.

Where can I get the beta?

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Live 8 32bit crashes when it is using 2.2 GB of RAM for itslef even on a 64bit OS.
Keep an eye on task manager see if it always crashes when it is close to 2GB.

Live 8.4 64bit beta can use upto 16GB on Windows 7 64bit standard and 256GB on Win 7 64bit Pro.

Live 8 64bit beta was in my account and downloads but not seen it for a while. Last time I downloaded it I had to login with a diferent internet browser to see the download icon.

To run 32bit plugins in Live 8 64bit you need to buy Jbridge around £15 it runs 32bit plugins in 64bit DAWS and 64bit plugins in 32bit DAWS.

If you can not get Live 8 64bit install Jbridge anyway as it will run your third party plugins in their own memory address space so as you add more third party sampled instruments the memory in your RAM fills up more but the RAM Live is taking up only goes up a tiny amount.

Upright

Post by Upright » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Got it...thanks for the help.