New look Ableton website.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sp0bjogu
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:19 pm

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by sp0bjogu » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 pm

Update your favorites. You won't get the latest Ableton news nor any answers from your fellow forum members but at least you'll enjoy what you see.

http://web.archive.org/web/200611042352 ... leton.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/201107250448 ... leton.com/

Vivo
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:58 pm

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by Vivo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:28 am

Image

OzWozEre
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 am

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by OzWozEre » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 am

Image

Wow! All his albums fit the forum so nicely -- it's a trend! :)
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

OzWozEre
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 am

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by OzWozEre » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:13 am

Image
And Junior too!
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

fishmonkey
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:03 am

OzWozEre wrote:FFS

https://www.ableton.com/en/education/ce ... ngeles-ca/

Look at the Line-Height spacing on this shit-ass-page...

I take it back -- 100% AMATEUR HOUR :evil:
are you talking about the leading? i think it's well done. Futura wouldn't be my choice for body text, but for smallish amounts of text you can get away with it.

Angstrom
Posts: 14713
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:13 am

fishmonkey wrote:
OzWozEre wrote:FFS

https://www.ableton.com/en/education/ce ... ngeles-ca/

Look at the Line-Height spacing on this shit-ass-page...

I take it back -- 100% AMATEUR HOUR :evil:
are you talking about the leading? i think it's well done. Futura wouldn't be my choice for body text, but for smallish amounts of text you can get away with it.
They fixed it. Earlier the text was jumbled.
"Leading" heh. In CSS it's the property line-height, but I'm old enough that when I was at college I was tought to typeset using actual strips of lead. We actually had upper cases and lower cases too. Cases. Full of backwards letters.

I am from the fucking PAST !
Last edited by Angstrom on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

OzWozEre
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 am

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by OzWozEre » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 am

fishmonkey wrote:
OzWozEre wrote:FFS

https://www.ableton.com/en/education/ce ... ngeles-ca/

Look at the Line-Height spacing on this shit-ass-page...

I take it back -- 100% AMATEUR HOUR :evil:
are you talking about the leading? i think it's well done. Futura wouldn't be my choice for body text, but for smallish amounts of text you can get away with it.
It got fixed :)

This thread is a direct-line to the web designer.

They are listening...

:roll:
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:13 am

Angstrom wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
OzWozEre wrote:FFS

https://www.ableton.com/en/education/ce ... ngeles-ca/

Look at the Line-Height spacing on this shit-ass-page...

I take it back -- 100% AMATEUR HOUR :evil:
are you talking about the leading? i think it's well done. Futura wouldn't be my choice for body text, but for smallish amounts of text you can get away with it.
They fixed it. Earlier the text was jumbled.
"Leading" heh. In CSS it's the property line-height, but I'm old enough that when I was at college I was tought to typeset using actual strips of lead. We actually had upper cases and lower cases too. Cases. Full of backwards letters.

I am from the fucking PAST !
:) that is going back just a bit. i had a teacher that was the typography/graphic design/computer illustration instructor in college who touched the lead... but then, i took those classes at the ripe age of 28 and that was nearly a decade ago now...

... which is the thing that is so bad about the forum today... around the last turn of the century this site (current sex toy color scheme and all) would have fit in among others... but it would not have looked as good as it did this time last week. the prior design had a certain timelessness to it that the active iteration is far from relating with.

lalomartins
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by lalomartins » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:16 pm

Here's a few answers, to make the fact-inclined happy. (The ones who don't care about facts are not my problem.)

1. Yes, we do read this thread. I do, at least, and I know at least one developer does too. I've been following it since Thursday. We haven't replied because we were afraid of “feeding the trolls”, but yesterday we had a chat with David and now we're a little more sure of where we stand with regards to that.

2. The launch wasn't rushed; it was planned for Thursday the 25th and it happened on Thursday the 25th. Although to be honest we launched about 10 minutes early because somebody on twitter found our preview address.

3. Nobody asked, but in case you wonder — the leak wasn't intentional either, our poor hard-working video team was working on the weekend uploading all those videos for the launch and missed one privacy drop-down thingie.

4. Apart from this thread, I have also kept a twitter search for “ableton site” since Thursday, and you might be surprised to learn the feedback we got was overwhelmingly positive. As in, there were exactly two negative tweets that did not originate from the forum.

5. And yes, we did fix a couple of things because of input from here, so it goes to show that constructive, non-trolling feedback remains welcome.

6. Yes, the logo is supposed to be the clip and arrangement view. Some claim that is a little less clear with the new version, but it does look a lot cleaner and streamlined.

7. Bologna comes in round slices, and spam has rounded corners, which is another element we took out. I think more of corned beef, I guess. Although on my monitor at least the beige is a little less pink than any of those. If you have been eating bologna this dark, you should see a doctor ASAP. I think the talk about “tan” was more on the spot.
ScrumMaster · Web Team · Ableton

ttilberg
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:55 pm
Contact:

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by ttilberg » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:18 pm

lalomartins wrote:Here's a few answers, to make the fact-inclined happy. (The ones who don't care about facts are not my problem.)

1. Yes, we do read this thread. I do, at least, and I know at least one developer does too. I've been following it since Thursday. We haven't replied because we were afraid of “feeding the trolls”, but yesterday we had a chat with David and now we're a little more sure of where we stand with regards to that.

2. The launch wasn't rushed; it was planned for Thursday the 25th and it happened on Thursday the 25th. Although to be honest we launched about 10 minutes early because somebody on twitter found our preview address.

3. Nobody asked, but in case you wonder — the leak wasn't intentional either, our poor hard-working video team was working on the weekend uploading all those videos for the launch and missed one privacy drop-down thingie.

4. Apart from this thread, I have also kept a twitter search for “ableton site” since Thursday, and you might be surprised to learn the feedback we got was overwhelmingly positive. As in, there were exactly two negative tweets that did not originate from the forum.

5. And yes, we did fix a couple of things because of input from here, so it goes to show that constructive, non-trolling feedback remains welcome.

6. Yes, the logo is supposed to be the clip and arrangement view. Some claim that is a little less clear with the new version, but it does look a lot cleaner and streamlined.

7. Bologna comes in round slices, and spam has rounded corners, which is another element we took out. I think more of corned beef, I guess. Although on my monitor at least the beige is a little less pink than any of those. If you have been eating bologna this dark, you should see a doctor ASAP. I think the talk about “tan” was more on the spot.
+100000000 :)
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

Valyo
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by Valyo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 pm

lalomartins wrote:Here's a few answers, to make the fact-inclined happy. (The ones who don't care about facts are not my problem.)

1. Yes, we do read this thread. I do, at least, and I know at least one developer does too. I've been following it since Thursday. We haven't replied because we were afraid of “feeding the trolls”, but yesterday we had a chat with David and now we're a little more sure of where we stand with regards to that.

2. The launch wasn't rushed; it was planned for Thursday the 25th and it happened on Thursday the 25th. Although to be honest we launched about 10 minutes early because somebody on twitter found our preview address.

3. Nobody asked, but in case you wonder — the leak wasn't intentional either, our poor hard-working video team was working on the weekend uploading all those videos for the launch and missed one privacy drop-down thingie.

4. Apart from this thread, I have also kept a twitter search for “ableton site” since Thursday, and you might be surprised to learn the feedback we got was overwhelmingly positive. As in, there were exactly two negative tweets that did not originate from the forum.

5. And yes, we did fix a couple of things because of input from here, so it goes to show that constructive, non-trolling feedback remains welcome.

6. Yes, the logo is supposed to be the clip and arrangement view. Some claim that is a little less clear with the new version, but it does look a lot cleaner and streamlined.

7. Bologna comes in round slices, and spam has rounded corners, which is another element we took out. I think more of corned beef, I guess. Although on my monitor at least the beige is a little less pink than any of those. If you have been eating bologna this dark, you should see a doctor ASAP. I think the talk about “tan” was more on the spot.
naa it's all good, mate! the site is tasty! hehe :) I personally like the new branding quite a lot! good job!

Angstrom
Posts: 14713
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Dear designer,
please make a hard delineation between the marketing pages and the functional web-application pages where user might need to activate and manage licenses. These need to inspire confidence in a transaction and reflect license and activation status.

I do not feel that the current "Account / Your Packs" page does that (https://www.ableton.com/en/your-packs/),

however snazzy the design might seem to some people, if I need to authorise a pack I do not want to see this sort of thing. I want a web application which inspires confidence.

ze2be
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Europe

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by ze2be » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Valyo wrote:naa it's all good, mate! the site is tasty! hehe :) I personally like the new branding quite a lot! good job!
<- What he said. Most of this talk here is just for entertainment and community chit chat. Might as well be a Lounge thread to me. In the whole picture it means zero compared to what Live means to us.

I think it will grow on us, the new logo and website and such.

We just miss the good old things, thats all! :D


But I cant freaking wait to get my hands on Live 9, which looks beautifull as ever!

Akshara
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by Akshara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:53 pm

Angstrom wrote:however snazzy the design might seem to some people, if I need to authorise a pack I do not want to see this sort of thing. I want a web application which inspires confidence.
I agree with this. Upon visiting the new site, the first thing that I visited was my account info, and was really turned off by the design. It's not intuitive, and looks like it was designed for teens, not professionals.

Regarding confidence, the aesthetic of the site and forum re-design has actually made we wary of the upcoming Live release, which is a first. It certainly makes we not want to visit the forums every day, as it is kind of an eyesore now, even with the blue hyperlinks changed back... beige is an uninspiring color. I generally am fine with change; yet not at the expense of aesthetic design and functionality. Apologies to the developers, but this is my genuine reaction.

Would love the option to choose a color theme.

db2
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: New look Ableton website.

Post by db2 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:56 pm

I know there are some trolls, but for the most part a lot of the feedback in this thread was valid. Sure it gets taken into 'taking the piss' territory, but that's the nature of forums. I think it was mostly assumed that the design team was not reading this and that perhaps some Ableton mods might be, and may pass along some of the feedback if it were loud/unanimous enough, hence the leaning in hard on some of it. Most of us will move on. The serious among us here use the software and don't visit the site much anyhow. But I agree with the above post that the transactional parts of the site should instil user confidence. The new site may scream 'fun' but it certainly doesn't convey 'professional, reliable, sleek, minimal, elegant', all things that I associated Ableton with, along with a dose of fun mixed in.

I still stand by my earlier feedback about the endless horizontal scrolling, buried links, lack of community linking, etc. but I 'spose I am not Ableton, and it's between them and the design firm to work this stuff out. However please, if at all inclined, consider changing the forum color back to white/grey/grey-blue, something less eye bleeding as most of us probably visit the forums 1000% more than the main site.

I also agree with the above that as a new purchaser of Ableton visiting the site I would be doing some more research on the company before purchasing. The site says to me "some guys made a new piece of software, lets see if it catches on, try it out!", not "Industry game changing software company Ableton outdo themselves again with a major update to their flagship DAW package".

Locked