Presonus Studio One v2 - 50% Off - Today only

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moonpie

Re: Presonus Studio One v2 - 50% Off - Today only

Post by moonpie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:49 pm

Oh, I see, artist doesnt have rewire. So Id have to have producer for that.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:12 pm

Hmm $200 for Professional (after discount), $100 for Producer, and I think maybe $50 for Artist? I am snagging the free version to take a peek at. Too bad no 3rd party plugins allowed. They should have allowed say 3-4 to be used (or just 2) then switch out those for others and continue making the song up! I dunno, Been using Live for awhile (well, owned vs used for a long time rather) and the audio to midi (ATM for you sickos hehe) looks cool, I'd get M4L (right) going from Suite 8 to Suite 9 at <$300 ($300 now before this magic discount before it is released). Push looks really cool but I can't justify $600 for a MIDI controller like that since I don't do Live stuff - which I think this is more geared to like the APC40/Launchpad are)? I have a Korg M50 at home for controlling some MIDI stuff as well as LPD8, padKontrol and an MS20 from Korg Legacy Collection to MIDI input.

Too bad I find out about this the last day of this *sale*. Honestly, I don't know what I'd switch to, Reaper would be cheapest and has some cool features. I can't justify hundreds of dollars as I see no ROIC, especially over time. Sales suck and another reason I haven't been doing anything in some time.....then again I am more in a niche market than some of you folks.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:33 pm

blam, I'm a Professional
Your order has been successfully completed.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:54 pm

rikhyray wrote:
garyboozy wrote:yea i liked it just from using the old Artist v1. just about to upgrade it to v2 Pro for £39 :!:
How, where? I have two Studio 1 Artist licenses that I never used. At such price definitely worth upgrading. I spent some time with the developers, from what they showed me the hottest part is the mastering section- but it is only in the full version.
I am beyond skeptical regarding Live 9, specially after most recent events. While waiting for Logic X and Bitwig, could be interesting to try Studio One.
Friend of mine has pro studio with PT, Logic, DP, Cubase, Live but when he does his own projects he uses Studio One, that really speaks for itself
I have the same experience with StudioOne...!

It has a smooth workflow like I'm used to Live,
high quality sound like Cubase/Nuendo(the dev's of S1 programmed Nuendo3).
only S1 is much more stable , CPU efficient and comes with HD effects.
Cubase or Nuendo still don't have a useful EQ, and look how long they've been around(what a shame)
Melodyne integrated works like a charm, and the Macro-Function is a real helper !!!

The mastering section is uneatable at the moment.
Switching from song to mastering project, it updates the audio automatically
and inserts it to the mastering. Detects loudness standards of all audio,
burns and labels to Redbook standard and so on, and so on...!

StudioOne lacks of a good sampler and some more functions.
I can make better beats with Live, so use rewire to S1 ! (Best of both worlds)
S1 has no racks and layering is a mess if you're used to Live's racks.

For me, as I said, Live and StudioOne are a great team !!!

I tried many DAW's and Live was the best for me, till I got problems with VST's in it and the high CPU usage.
Then at that time came StudioOne and I was sold from the start...
I really think it will be the best DAW from version 3 or 4 and beat the rest easy.
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm pretty happy in Live 8, but for the price to get the mastering setup, Melodyne, and various other things I want in terms of editing and arranging it seemed a great bargain at £160 ish for the full package. Also, I'd recently seen that 2.5 preview video about the upcoming routing enhancements so I was already half sold on it. This deal just kicked me over the edge.
I've got NI komplete , so I don't really need them to provide me with a sampler of any kind.

It's a shame Ableton will never allow VST in rewire mode. They know what's up with that I guess.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:31 pm

I suppose I should quickly look at videos for using it in regards to loop usage and so forth to see how that compares to Live. That may make the choice faster today, else I miss out on a decent deal.
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:44 pm

I'm a little concerned that the price will rise above $300 soon.... :oops:

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:22 pm

$199.50 for Professional (top-end with Melodyne ARA) using code and it still worked as of 1:20PM EST. Now to find time to download it/content and see how to rewire Live into it and see what that is also all about. Weeeeeeeee Weeeeeeeeee (Geico squealing pig on zipline lol)

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:55 pm

This is very interesting!

I always dismissed this DAW as some kinda a second-tier-hokey-me-too-affair.

But I guess I need to give it some serious attention based on what you guys are saying about it's Mastering capabilities etc.

Is Presonus really up there? Compared to other "traditional" DAWs like Logic?

I've been thinking about getting some serious mastering plugins for final polish, Izotope, Waves etc. but damn they're $$$$ would this be a decent well-priced alternative to these solutions?

Yes I'm rambling! :)
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:00 pm

Crazy good prices and Studio One is a very good DAW. I would get it but I'm so heavily invested in Logic and there's just not enough time to learn more DAWs instead of making music.

RobertX

Post by RobertX » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Just scored this. Thanks for the tip.

Woot!

William

Post by William » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:07 pm

I grabbed the Producer to Pro upgrade. Sweet!
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:11 pm

I recently picked up Pro for just over 150 usd. Great used deal. Mainly I like the melodyne integration and the way they handle conversion between audio and midi tracks.

There are some things you'll miss from Live though. Like Angstrom, I need my racks. Lost without them. Studio One has a decent hardware configuration which is kind of like Ableton's configuration thing. But there isn't a macro system really.

Also, everything in Live is double-click to load, select, delete button to delete. Adding effects is just double-clicking from the browser. In Studio One, it's always drag the device to the track, right-click context menu to remove things. Even having to drag each effect over and not being able to just hit the delete key to remove things feels much slower. But other than these device handling gripes, I like the workflow.
Professional Shark Jumper.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Angstrom wrote:I'm pretty happy in Live 8, but for the price to get the mastering setup, Melodyne, and various other things I want in terms of editing and arranging it seemed a great bargain at £160 ish for the full package. Also, I'd recently seen that 2.5 preview video about the upcoming routing enhancements so I was already half sold on it. This deal just kicked me over the edge.
I've got NI komplete , so I don't really need them to provide me with a sampler of any kind.

It's a shame Ableton will never allow VST in rewire mode. They know what's up with that I guess.
I am in same situation, NI K8 update (couldn't pass it up for 50% off like when I got K7 update. I should maybe try to offload that kinda cheap eh? Someone may buy it but I don't know if I could due to the licensing of the products.... I am interested in Melodyne Essential (have to refresh my brain as I do recall reading a tad about it.

I would like some of the stuff in Live 9 and would love to have a Push to play with but again, $600 is a lot for me to fork over to make me use the mouse less (and be restricted to Live devices only atm).

Mike

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:59 pm

Studio One also has excellent comp take support and anyone who does voice, guitar or similar takes knows how nice that is. You record let's say 16 bars over and over and sweep in the parts you like from multiple takes.