Please use rounding for un-arming tracks

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Machinate

Please use rounding for un-arming tracks

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:18 pm

When switching back and forth between tracks I rapidly arm and un-arm tracks. However, turning off the arming before the clip has fully switched from record to over-dub/play will not be done using the global quantize.

The loop length will be set at the exact time you un-arm, and you inevitably will have to fix the loop length using the mouse or whatever. I could stretch my imagination to find situations where un-arming on the fly without rounding the loop-length to nearest bar (or preferably: global quantize) would be useful - in arrangeview, where an overdub could be performed to just drop in a few notes.

However, in session view this makes it very nerve-wrecking to arm-record-launch-un-arm rapidly on the fly.

So I'm asking you to please change the un-arm event to be rounded using the global quantize. I don't mind if the input gets killed immediately after turning the arm button off, I'd just like to have the loops rounded to next global quantize - I'll even settle for a check-box in the preferences.

It would really help my live performance.
Thanks for your time.
Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

amo

Post by amo » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:28 pm

Maybe I don't understand quite well your manner of recording live, tell me then.

Why don't you arm all the tracks you will need to record to, then fire a clip to record into it, hit its button to start looping and therefore stop recording according to global quantization.
If your track monitor is set to auto, hitting midi keyboard doesn't do anything if a clip is playing right ?
So yo can record and instantly play synced clips; in several tracks....

Tell me what I don't get cause I feel I miss a point here and I'm at work right now, so I can't try it....

Regards,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:41 pm

yes. You're right, but you are forgetting over-dub. If I turn on over-dub and start inputting midi it will be recorded onto all armed midi tracks.

If un-arming was "interrupt input, wait until next quantize, play" instead of "end recording, start loop immediately regardless of obscure loop length" I'd be a lot happier - it would let me switch smoothly from over-dub to over-dub without these rather annoying slip-ups.

amo

Post by amo » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:44 pm

Machinate wrote:yes. You're right, but you are forgetting over-dub. If I turn on over-dub and start inputting midi it will be recorded onto all armed midi tracks.
Even if the clip is playing, not recording, on the armed track ?
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:55 pm

if the track is armed and you turn on over-dub it will record immediately. So

pacific_2096

Post by pacific_2096 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:05 am

Hi, I am having the same problem as Machinate, this old post in the forums is the only ref I could find to this, has any solution been found by anyone?

My situation is slightly different, I think, in that I am recording live audio loops, e.g. from guitar. I have several tracks all with the same input (guitar), and when I stop recording in one, I want that to keep playing in sync, while I'm playing the next part. I have one pedal click which, through Bome midi translator, stops the first loop recording (with its launch button, so it keeps playing) then disarms the track, then arms the next track, then launches the second loop recording. This all works fine, except for the fact that disarming the first track instantly halts recording, leading to a cropped and thus unsycnhronised loop.

The reason for not keeping all tracks armed is that the guitar then monitors on all tracks at once - not good at all. I have tried to achieve the same outcome by automating the track monitoring button (In --> Off) but this has exactly the same result as disarming the track - it cuts the loop recording off immediately, instead of at the next bar.

Has anyone figured out a way to stop the "instant cutoff" of loop recording when disarming or un-monitoring the track, or better still a way to get track arming or monitoring to lock into the global quantise settings like record / play launching does?

Cheers, Tim

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:07 am

Create some empty parts by first double clicking in the session slots. Then record into them.

Works for how I use on-the-fly recording anyway...

Cheers,
bagginz

pacific_2096

Post by pacific_2096 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Hi bagginz, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I think you are referring to a technique that only works with MIDI, not Audio. I tried double clicking in an Audio track, both armed and unarmed, and there was no effect. Double clicking a MIDI slot did create a clip, and I guess you could then do something with that, but I need to do synced loop recording with Audio.

If only Ableton would sync the arm / disarm, or the monitor / unmonitor, that would solve the problem.

Cheers, Tim