Any baseless speculation on Max4live version upgrades?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
antarktika

Any baseless speculation on Max4live version upgrades?

Post by antarktika » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:12 am

So, I am planning to upgrade from 8 to 9, and already own M4L, I haven't seen much info on how the upgrading will work. I have zero interest in going for Suite, so will the Max 5 based version from 8 work in Live 9, or will we need to upgrade to the new Max4Live version? and is that something that will be an additional paid upgrade on top of the Live 9 upgrade? If anybody's seen this info somewhere, or just wants to present their own crazy ideas about how this is going to work, I'd love to know.

oddstep

Re: Any baseless speculation on Max4live version upgrades?

Post by oddstep » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:30 pm

max for live in 9 is based on max 6. so that's got to be a paid upgrade. we haven't seen the prices for the individual live devices at live 9. i can't believe Ableton are going to only sell Collision, Operator etc as part of the Suite - so I guess at some point we'll see the price for the Max for Live upgrade. I reckon Max for Live 5 will carry on working but not be guaranteed to run the new devices, this baseless speculation is based on the idea that max for live is really just a shell that houses max patches, max 6 isn't entirely different to max 5 - so maybe it'll still work (in much the same way that max 6 seems to work within the current max for live).

FailedSitcom

Post by FailedSitcom » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:45 pm

oddstep wrote:i can't believe Ableton are going to only sell Collision, Operator etc as part of the Suite
Operator and the other instruments are still for sale as Packs. I am cautiously optimistic that people who have purchased Max4live will be able to continue using it in Live 9 Standard.

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:57 pm

I will also baselessly speculate that 64bit M4L will only come with a paid upgrade.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:33 pm

oddstep wrote:I reckon Max for Live 5 will carry on working but not be guaranteed to run the new devices
Yesh, so I assume a paid upgrade would include all those devices offered in the Suite version then? I dunno, it doesn't seem quite like they've fully thought out the upgrade paths, or just aren't releasing much info in that regard yet.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:42 pm

you mean bass less

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Szuumm wrote:I will also baselessly speculate that 64bit M4L will only come with a paid upgrade.
I would not speculate there there will be any 64bit M4L. This would only come when there is a 64bit version of Max and there has been no commitment from Cycling74 on when that might be. I believe it's inevitable but I wouldn't expect it in the Live 9 timeframe.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 pm

Here's hope, read somewhere that max/msp v6.1 (x64) might be ready when L9 launches...

Noone expected FL Studio to go x64 so "soon" and suddenly there's a working beta/alpha already...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 am

synnack wrote:
Szuumm wrote:I will also baselessly speculate that 64bit M4L will only come with a paid upgrade.
I would not speculate there there will be any 64bit M4L. This would only come when there is a 64bit version of Max and there has been no commitment from Cycling74 on when that might be. I believe it's inevitable but I wouldn't expect it in the Live 9 timeframe.

Loving the signature mate!

Live object model updates?hahahahahha

Cheers
D

ark

Post by ark » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:46 pm

If you have Live 8 plus Max for Live, you can download the Max 5 or Max 6 demo version from Cycling '74 for free, point Max for Live at it, and you're good to go.

If you have a paid version of Max 5, then you can buy an upgrade to Max 6 and use that with Max for Live, even with Live 8.

So I would expect that if you upgrade to Live 9, and already had Max for Live, you would still be able to use Max for Live with the free Max 6 demo, or upgrade the paid Max 5 to Max 6 if you already have Max 5. Note that Max 5 and Max 6 can coexist on a single machine, so there is no need to upgrade paid Max 5 to 6 unless you want to be able to use Max 6 outside Max for Live.

Note that I have corrected this post to say that what you need to install for Max for Live is the Max demo version, not the Max runtime. Even if the demo has expired, I believe you can edit Max for Live patches from within Live, provided that you have paid for Max for Live.
Last edited by ark on Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:54 pm

ark wrote:If you have Live 8 plus Max for Live, you can download the Max 5 or Max 6 runtime from Cycling '74 for free, point Max for Live at it, and you're good to go.
Point it at Max, not the Max runtime. Otherwise you would not be able to click the edit button... (though I know thats what you meant I wanted to clarify for newbs)
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

ark

Post by ark » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:12 pm

synnack wrote: Point it at Max, not the Max runtime. Otherwise you would not be able to click the edit button... (though I know thats what you meant I wanted to clarify for newbs)
Hmmm...Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that you can download the full version of Max, install it as a demo, and as long as you have paid for Max for Live, you can use it to edit Max for Live patches, even after the Max demo has expired.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:43 pm

ark wrote:
synnack wrote: Point it at Max, not the Max runtime. Otherwise you would not be able to click the edit button... (though I know thats what you meant I wanted to clarify for newbs)
Hmmm...Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that you can download the full version of Max, install it as a demo, and as long as you have paid for Max for Live, you can use it to edit Max for Live patches, even after the Max demo has expired.
Yes, if you own max for live, regardless if you own full max or not, you download and install FULL max.