Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
Monchai

Re: Ableton Push QA

Post by Monchai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:14 pm

Push tech spec say 12cm Touchstrip with 24 LED and the whole unit depth under dimension is 293mm(29.3cm). That means the touchstrip should look less than half of the unit right. But every picture of Push tells a different story. The Touchstrip is way longer than 12cm. So am I missing something here? I'm about to turn away from Push thinking that why the hell did they fit 8 rolls of buttons in such small Depth/Length equivalent to 12cm Touchstrip

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:16 pm

friendly reminder that this is a thread for discussing Ableton Push - please don't derail it with personal messages.

Paladino

Post by Paladino » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:30 pm

UCAudio wrote:With Push, will it be possible to select a drum rack cell by pressing a pad on push, and then turn a knob to scroll through different drum samples within a folder to choose which drum sample is assigned to that drum cell? Basically, this would do away with spending time making "128s" and would let the user quickly setup drum racks.
+1

Monchai

Post by Monchai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Monchai wrote:Push tech spec say 12cm Touchstrip with 24 LED and the whole unit depth under dimension is 293mm(29.3cm). That means the touchstrip should look less than half of the unit right. But every picture of Push tells a different story. The Touchstrip is way longer than 12cm. So am I missing something here? I'm about to turn away from Push thinking that why the hell did they fit 8 rolls of buttons in such small Depth/Length equivalent to 12cm Touchstrip
Could someone answer my question, thanks

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Monchai wrote:Push tech spec say 12cm Touchstrip with 24 LED and the whole unit depth under dimension is 293mm(29.3cm). That means the touchstrip should look less than half of the unit right. But every picture of Push tells a different story. The Touchstrip is way longer than 12cm. So am I missing something here? I'm about to turn away from Push thinking that why the hell did they fit 8 rolls of buttons in such small Depth/Length equivalent to 12cm Touchstrip
Using the picture here https://www.ableton.com/en/push/ which on my screen is 19cm deep and the strip is 11cm deep. Assuming the actual product is 29.3cm as stated, this would mean the strip would actually be about 17cm or about 40% longer.

So you are right, something is certainly off.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Monchai wrote:
Could someone answer my question, thanks
Jesse is getting to these as fast as possible - thanks for your patience.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Seeing the title (and being a QA person, as in test/qa by trade) I thought they were looking for people to QA the hardware with live 9 lolz. I would go for that! hahaha
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:37 pm

How sensitive are the pads? I know they're not regular AKAI pads. Using Maschine/Mikro MkII or DS Tempest as examples of the most sensitive pads and Nanopad/LPD8 as medium sensitive, where would Push fit in?

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:02 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Nanopad/LPD8 as medium sensitive
Nanopad is medium sensitive. LPD8 and all other Akai pads (MPC/MPD/MPK...etc.) are the least sensitive.

syncr

Post by syncr » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Simple questions:
What is the 9th knob along the top?
What are the two knobs on the left?
What are the primary functions of the two pad rows below the LCD (not part of the 8x8 group)?

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 am

syncr wrote:Simple questions:
What is the 9th knob along the top?
What are the two knobs on the left?
What are the primary functions of the two pad rows below the LCD (not part of the 8x8 group)?
9th knob=master
i guesst eh 2 left knobs are left tempo and right pitch bend/ribbon range
and i'm pretty sure the 2 rows at the top are function keys/select buttons, like mute and solo

my beef with this device is: why lcd at the top and no lcd on the side for scene names? thats a lame oversight, means i NEED to look at the screen if i play live

condra

Post by condra » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:42 am

Massive respect for Jesse here and +1 to everyone who thinks Ableton should take this engaging, personal approach more often.

the bite

Post by the bite » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:00 am

from press release of push: Push gives you the best of both worlds for making music: inspiring hardware for hands-on control at the beginning, and full-featured music creation software for fine-tuning the details at the end.

its like,ok use push to create,use live to fine-tuning and to perform use anything else.I would like to know if Push creators see it as a performance tool too.

Edited---- I missed this on the press release: Push is also the ultimate performance controller, with pads that can be instantly repurposed into a clip launching grid. And Live’s tight integration with Max for Live lets you customize Push for your own working style, or reprogram it to add new features and workflows.
Last edited by the bite on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:12 am

it really seems to be first designed for studio composition tasks

see how the whole promotion is focused on step sequencing and pad chord playing

but I guess with all that buttons on the sides, there's room to add some nice performance tools ??

anyway we got all the midi controllers we need for the stage right now, and I still see this Push as a really interesting controller, dedicated to composition.

thanks for the thread Jesse
I like this new ableton way of interaction with the customers

cheers

condra

Post by condra » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:58 am

the bite wrote: its like,ok use push to create,use live to fine-tuning and to perform use anything else.I would like to know if Push creators see it as a performance tool too.
My take on it:

Unique instrumental performance? - Yes, very cool.
DJ'ing? - APC40 is more suitable.