Any Sampler changes that we've heard of?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Re: Any Sampler changes that we've heard of?

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Any beta kids got news?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:I just want start and end points and modulation depth to be macro mappable.
I feel the same way, it would be great to see even little improvements like this to both simpler and sampler...
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:52 am

Shesh wrote:I emailed support about time stretching in Sampler for Live 9, they said:

"Sampler will not have a timestretch function."

:(
I swore up and down that I would not upgrade if Simpler/Sampler did not have timestretch/pitchshift in this version after they assured us it was on the 'to do' list like 5 years ago.... Then they hit me with this new audio to midi feature (those trixy bastids).... So I guess I ABSOLUTELY swear, I will not upgrade to version 10 if there's no stretch in the samplers!!!!.... for certain this time!!!

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Shesh wrote:I emailed support about time stretching in Sampler for Live 9, they said:

"Sampler will not have a timestretch function."

:(
I think that means that Ableton Sampler is basically a sample player going forward.

The modulation is a joke and time-stretch - I just do it in Kontakt and I only use Sampler for pianos and stuff.

If I wanna do sample start modulation I use Simpler - Sampler is a real wasted opportunity which is forcing me away from the "everythin Ableton" philosophy - which I like because everything fits together so nicely.

Mind you - using vsts gets you multiple windows!!!

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:35 pm

now that M4L is part of suite we can use timestretching in granulator or make our own devices. Dives for cover! :lol:

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:58 pm

oddstep wrote:now that M4L is part of suite we can use timestretching in granulator or make our own devices. Dives for cover! :lol:
Yeah - that's so easy!

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Granulator is a joke. It brings my computer to its knees.
C
Great idea, crap execution.
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Can anyone who downloaded the beta confirm? Any changes at all to Sampler?

tintala

Post by tintala » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:32 pm

THey should implement a sampler like the NNXT in REASON.... WHere you can record your sample and map it then send each sample to it's own effect thru the cv outs. The nnxt was one of my favs in Reason... very very powerful and blows sampler away... I mean no where in Live can you record a sample and immed start mapping it and tweaking it thru it's defualt "sampler".. with LIve you have to put the recorded sample into a sampler then, there are no ins or outs for effects for each mapped sample, hell you cant even map them. But please correct me if I am wrong. perhaps I have forgotten....,

Also would be awesome to have a detached sampler in Live to move to another screen...

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:40 pm

UCAudio wrote:Can anyone who downloaded the beta confirm? Any changes at all to Sampler?
No.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:41 pm

tintala wrote:THey should implement a sampler like the NNXT in REASON.... WHere you can record your sample and map it then send each sample to it's own effect thru the cv outs. The nnxt was one of my favs in Reason... very very powerful and blows sampler away... I mean no where in Live can you record a sample and immed start mapping it and tweaking it thru it's defualt "sampler".. with LIve you have to put the recorded sample into a sampler then, there are no ins or outs for effects for each mapped sample, hell you cant even map them. But please correct me if I am wrong. perhaps I have forgotten....,

Also would be awesome to have a detached sampler in Live to move to another screen...
In Live, can't you just record your sample and drag and drop it to a cell of a drum rack to automatically do everything you described? I always felt like the NNXT was not ver intuitive and limited. Maybe I need to dig deeper.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:49 pm

tintala wrote:THey should implement a sampler like the NNXT in REASON.... WHere you can record your sample and map it then send each sample to it's own effect thru the cv outs. The nnxt was one of my favs in Reason... very very powerful and blows sampler away... I mean no where in Live can you record a sample and immed start mapping it and tweaking it thru it's defualt "sampler".. with LIve you have to put the recorded sample into a sampler then, there are no ins or outs for effects for each mapped sample, hell you cant even map them. But please correct me if I am wrong. perhaps I have forgotten....,

That's about the only thing Reason has done to their samplers. I think the pattern of most DAW developers is to neglect any improvements in their proprietary samplers.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:29 pm

tw1nstates wrote:Granulator is a joke. It brings my computer to its knees.
C
Great idea, crap execution.
That would mean your computer is a joke ;) I can use 4 instances + a dozen other tracks of operator/samplers and effects without the computer breaking a sweat
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Can we PLEASE just macro map modulation depth, PLEASE?!

errorspending

Post by errorspending » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:17 am

So bummed...the constant time / timestretch function in sampler was my number 1 hoped for update.. but that audio to midi feature is awesome.