Set audio clip loop length BEFORE recording!!!!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
bigboz

Set audio clip loop length BEFORE recording!!!!!!!

Post by bigboz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Would I be right in saying this has been left out again?
If so - why?Is it really that hard to implement?

To be able to set the loop length of an audio clip in Session View before recording into it - just the same as you can do in a midi clip.

Also what about MIDI mapping for DELETE CLIP?

I don't care about any of the other stuff in Live9.
This is basic stuff that live musicians who start their set from scratch would love to see.

It's been requested for years now.
I emailed support ages ago - and was told that this is the place to ask.
Maybe I'll even get an answer.

OK,I'm away to lie down and breathe deeply.

hasseg

Re: Set audio clip loop length BEFORE recording!!!!!!!

Post by hasseg » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:18 pm

This is my longtime request for Live. It is as the programmers don't use the software themselves. It is impossible to record a guitar clip and get the right length to the clip in session view without a foot pedal.

Hans

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:04 pm

I know that this isn't the answer you're looking for, but if you own a Launchpad, you can get this function if you "upgrade" it with NativeKontrol's LPC script...

But I totally agree; this is a quite absurd omission by Ableton. If you don't have a foot controller, it's pretty much impossible to get the clip looping without missing some notes, whether you're using a guitar or a keyboard.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:31 pm

i think they thunk the looper bypassed this need

if its for performing it kinda does, normal recording too

if its for rec/production just rec into arrange, edit, select/hold and hit tab...takes 1/2 a sec

bigboz

Post by bigboz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:56 pm

sporkles wrote:I know that this isn't the answer you're looking for, but if you own a Launchpad, you can get this function if you "upgrade" it with NativeKontrol's LPC script...

But I totally agree; this is a quite absurd omission by Ableton. If you don't have a foot controller, it's pretty much impossible to get the clip looping without missing some notes, whether you're using a guitar or a keyboard.
Thanks,I didn't know that about the launchpad - but you're right,it's an absurd omission
I play mainly guitar and fiddle,and a bit of keys.
I already have an APC40, a Softstep,iPad running a home made Lemur template,and a Novation Impulse to set up for gigs,
so the Launchpad would be a step too far :mrgreen: to cover what seems like an omission.
simmerdown wrote:i think they thunk the looper bypassed this need

if its for performing it kinda does, normal recording too

if its for rec/production just rec into arrange, edit, select/hold and hit tab...takes 1/2 a sec
I only use Ableton for performance - the name LIVE sold it to me :( - but it seems 99.9% of people use it "live" as in with pre-loaded clips.

The LOOPER is a great feature,but it's not integrated into clips for live performance,so yeah,I know what you mean it kinda does,but it also definitely doesn't!

I'd have to drag the LOOPER loop into a clip slot using a mouse for it to be any use in scene launching.

I was sure they'd fix it for 9.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:48 am

i got my midi foot control at the pawn for $60, not hard to find very cheap these days

rheyn live looping with Looper, he makes it look easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=957ww83m ... ure=relmfu

Valyo

Post by Valyo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:10 am

yeah, I agree with that. The LPC script is a part solution but it's again awkward, since you have to change the global quantize setting to, say 4 bars. Which means that if you go back to triggering clips you'd have to switch again to one bar.

Paladino

Post by Paladino » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:28 pm

I've made the same request...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144188

"Pre-define the length of a clip using a MIDI controller"

It would be either for audio clips and MIDI clips...

ChiefNugget

Post by ChiefNugget » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:27 pm

again, not as elegant a solution as you would prefer, but you could start with a set having a few empty clips of predetermined length loaded into session view and record in overdub mode.
I need a baby sit my boys and work the day job plug-in.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:47 am

set the quantize to say 4 bars
double click (it will start record AND set it to end at the quantize of say 4 bars, voila

bigboz

Post by bigboz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:18 am

Double clicking is ok if you're in the studio - but if you're playing live and using a midi pedal,it's just another thing to go wrong.
The pedal I have is the Softstep,and there's no "click" feeling or noise.
I suppose I could look at changing pedals - but even so,concentrating on double clicking while playing is still a workaround - and working out 4 bar count-ins for clip and scene launching would be a nightmare.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:24 am

you have a softstep? thats the ultimate midifoot...get the Looper going, no need to set clip length, especially since there is no 'good' way to do it

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:54 am

bigboz wrote:Double clicking is ok if you're in the studio - but if you're playing live and using a midi pedal,it's just another thing to go wrong.
The pedal I have is the Softstep,and there's no "click" feeling or noise.
I suppose I could look at changing pedals - but even so,concentrating on double clicking while playing is still a workaround - and working out 4 bar count-ins for clip and scene launching would be a nightmare.
you could set the pedal to send the value twice on one press (the fcb1010 i had when using this technique allowed this)

bigboz

Post by bigboz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:45 am

What about launching scenes etc?
You'd be stuck with long trigger times.
That would be impossible for me - I'd have to work with 1 or 2 bar "delays" for scenes or clips I need to retrigger.

Paladino

Post by Paladino » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:set the quantize to say 4 bars
double click (it will start record AND set it to end at the quantize of say 4 bars, voila
It doesn't work because you need to wait to the clip start recording, and then trying to create a melody having to think about clicking is just not inspiring...

The best way would be having the option to pre-define the lenght of the clips before you record them, of course, having also the option "None", which would be as it is right now...

I've made this request here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144188