Most stable soundcard for macbook pro w/Ableton??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickybeautron

Most stable soundcard for macbook pro w/Ableton??

Post by mickybeautron » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Im currently having all sorts of problems with an Apogee Duet. Ive a 13" macbook pro 2011 running snow leopard. Its always clicking on and off, and when trying to use the inputs i get no sound, then if i toggle the output momentarily to stereo and then back to mixer "sometimes" the audio input starts working. Lots of noise on the input. Total sh1tbox for a soundcard that's supposedly designed to work well with a mac.
Any ideas or suggestions?

micky.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 - 8gb DDR3 - Dual ssd - Live 9 - Apogee Duet - Adam A5x

http://www.soundcloud.com/pidgeo

locojohn

Re: Most stable soundcard for macbook pro w/Ableton??

Post by locojohn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:10 pm

mickybeautron wrote:Im currently having all sorts of problems with an Apogee Duet. Ive a 13" macbook pro 2011 running snow leopard. Its always clicking on and off, and when trying to use the inputs i get no sound, then if i toggle the output momentarily to stereo and then back to mixer "sometimes" the audio input starts working. Lots of noise on the input. Total sh1tbox for a soundcard that's supposedly designed to work well with a mac.
Any ideas or suggestions?

micky.

The most stable audio interface is the one that is built into your Mac :)

Joking aside, I am using ESI Quatafire 610 firewire interface for years without a single issue. the DA/AD conversion and the quality of the signal path might not be the best, but the reliability of this device is out of question. It even has two MIDI in and two MID out in such a little neat black box. Too bad this product was discontinued. Not sure about their newer USB products, can't comment.

Don't buy TC Electronic products (I've been owning Konnekt 24D for years and had a lot of trouble with it, so are many people judging from TC forums). Assuming you are on a lower budget, you can check Echo products as well.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:29 pm

I suppose you are looking for something in similar size. RME Babyface is reliable but there are 2 new cards that might be interesting - Focusrite Forte and Echo2. I like Echo`s design most since it is all direct inputs outputs no stupid cables, nobody knows how it sounds, works. Will get one next week so can post test results. I dont think Forte is available yet anywhere.

kryptonitejesus

Post by kryptonitejesus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:00 am

Absolutely love my Duet 2 and haven't had even the slightest issue with it.

Monchai

Post by Monchai » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:13 am

Also Love my Duet, Best soundcard ever. Use it for 3 years with no problem.

philipc

Post by philipc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:06 pm

I recently swapped my Duet for an RME Babyface. I love the Duet's sound quality and ease of use but it hasn't been satisfactorily stable driver-wise for some time. The RME sounds just as good, has some extra features and is flawless in terms of stability.

mickybeautron

Post by mickybeautron » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:43 pm

update:
ok the input on my duet IS working. The problem is with a 2nd hand analog synth I just got which is having "issues" (mfb synth II) Ive only been working with it for 2 days but it seems at present it's taking 40 mins to warm up, sounds like a crashed soundcard for the first 40 mins and then suddenly works perfectly. I shall have to experiment with it further to see whats up. I didn't have any other instrument to test the input with, and it seems its the synth that is being temper mental. So the dodgy duet stability/sensitive interface is useable cause when the duet works well the sound is sa-weet. I still get the odd crash but hey. If I suddenly became richer I may get a fireface or somink but this'll do for the moment. No point going for a cheaper interface just for stability while sacrificing sound quality for the moment I reckon.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 - 8gb DDR3 - Dual ssd - Live 9 - Apogee Duet - Adam A5x

http://www.soundcloud.com/pidgeo