Freeze Function: Live 5 vs ProTools

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jtenney

Freeze Function: Live 5 vs ProTools

Post by jtenney » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:27 pm

Hello all--

I wrote a very long-winded post a couple days ago about whether Live 5's track-freeze function could help me with a potential RAM-hog in a Finale 2006 upgrade, so I wouldn't have to add RAM (I only have 512 mb). A Finale user has been using a freeze function in ProTools. Since nobody answered my post here (maybe because I had verbal diarrhea :oops: ), I thought I might rephrase my question to be this:

Can anyone compare the freeze function in Live 5 with that in ProTools? Are they basically similar, is one way better, bla bla bla?

Thanks, people. Any help would be much appreciated!!

later,
John
www.soundclick.com/johntenney

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:16 pm

Pro tools Freeze is much faster and the files are easy to access in a special folder. Logics freeze is also much faster and does it behind the scenes. Its files are also easy to access.

I think Lives freeze feature will be improved in the future as its terribly slow at the moment

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:19 am

Thanks, DJ Retard, for your reply!

So, do you think the Freeze Function in Live 5 is not really usable? I don't need a setup that functions in "realtime," but that will allow for the mixing of these Finale output tracks (files generated by the Garritan Personal Orchestra) laid into another DAW, with very likely reverb and eq applied to the final mix. I was already planning to get Live 5 for all its many improvements, and can't really afford to think about ProTools at this point, plus I don't really need what it does, at least not at the moment. I don't mind the freeze function being semi-inaccessible, even needing some kind of workaround stuff, as long as I can get that output without adding a gig or more of RAM like I was advised to do by Finale users (except the one guy who brought up the freeze function...)

Thanks much!

later,
John

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

CWoodOne

Freeze tracks in new Beta ROOLS

Post by CWoodOne » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:08 am

I've been having pretty good luck with it so far... done some songs I never could have pulled off in 4. Imac g5, 1 Gig, and the freeze isn't that slow.... plus it makes audio files you can pull into other programs, or into other Live sets... BIG improvement, IMHO, and no slower than freezing tracks in DP. Much easier to work with, because you don't have to delete out the VI or plugin, Live does a great job at disconnecting the processor, etc, automatically. And you can unfreeze and go back to Midi in a second with all the original patches right there! GREAT

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:05 am

jtenney wrote:Thanks, DJ Retard, for your reply!

So, do you think the Freeze Function in Live 5 is not really usable? I don't need a setup that functions in "realtime," but that will allow for the mixing of these Finale output tracks (files generated by the Garritan Personal Orchestra) laid into another DAW, with very likely reverb and eq applied to the final mix. I was already planning to get Live 5 for all its many improvements, and can't really afford to think about ProTools at this point, plus I don't really need what it does, at least not at the moment. I don't mind the freeze function being semi-inaccessible, even needing some kind of workaround stuff, as long as I can get that output without adding a gig or more of RAM like I was advised to do by Finale users (except the one guy who brought up the freeze function...)

Thanks much!
later,
John
It depends on how long the audio file and how many plugins are used. A six minute audio track with a couple of plugs is taking around three minutes +. I think this is a bit slow and can spoil the moment of creation.

Its definitely useable and if your freezing just the odd track now and then its no problem. But when you want to freeze 20+ tracks its slow. But Like I say, Im sure this will be improved in the next version or even an internediate update. After all, Freeze is better than no freeze.

In session view, its faster if your working with small clips

I remember something Alex (ableton) said about Live converting all audio to stereo or something like that even if its a mono file. I dont think that helps either.(if im correct on that one ?)

youll be fine for what you need to do. Im just a bit more used to a smoother/faster freeze function. Cubase Sx is also pretty fast but I do like the way Emgaic did theirs. It works in the background while your working away and anything that helps workflow is a + in my book.

Go for it though. Despite my moaning about certain features lives still a great tool.
:)

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:26 am

Thanks to you too, CWoodOne, and DJ Retard again!!

I would be looking at running probably 6-8 tracks. The "moment of creation," as you put it, DJ Retard, wouldn't be a concern, 'cause I would have worked all that out in midi in Finale (using the combination of GM and Quicktime sounds) before I ever got to the point of wanting to generate truly sampled string sounds (these are string arrangements I'm doing). As for the mono/stereo thing: I THINK the Garritan sampler outputs are mono, but I'm not sure (certainly worth investigating! :) ). In any case, I would probably want to pan them into a sound field like a string orchestra setup, if that sounded decent. Anyway, I think you've answered my questions, gentlemen, and thanks!! Now I hope that I really can do this stuff with a G4 at 1 ghz, and only 512 mb of ram... Wish me luck...

later,
John