Live 9 - Export as mp3?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
abletoff

Re: Live 9 - Export as mp3?

Post by abletoff » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks for all the answers. I already do it in Lame, it would be nice to export to Lame directly from the main program, to avoid hyperclicking :)
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:14 am

If organized properly, it's one (one!) mouse click. This cannot be too difficult for the laziest user I guess.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 am

Come on fellas - install Audacity, install Lame and drag your audio file from Live into and export as mp3.

You get a better view of your waveform in Audacity than Live as well so it makes sense to have a look here before publishing it as mp3.

alex808

Post by alex808 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:36 am

cubase export mp3

logic export mp3...

bitwig to catch user i'm sure that create a new compress audio format ahahahha

ableton....WAV

BAH!

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:46 am

When bitdick finally arrives it won't just export as mp3 it will compose it for you without you needing to do a thing.

Hang on - perfection is just around the corner.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:45 pm

^ it will also cup your balls and convert your moans to Ogg Vorbis.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Huh, yeah it must be for a big issue. This is something that is a PIA for me, and tons of other people. And obviously this can be done with third party software, but it is just another step outside of the program that one needs to go to to make an mp3. The point of software updates is to maximize efficiency, and this is a huge gap in efficiency. I'm pretty sure my Cakewalk version from the mid 1990's had "Export .mp3" as an option.

And I don't like complaining on this forum, because there's more than enough of that here, and Ableton Live is as popular as it is because it's as awesome as it is. But yeah, an "Export to .mp3" option would be like a dream come true. It's just been one of those things that has grated on me for a long time. It'd be like having to use a third party adapter to hook into your fuel pump in your car that you have to pump before you can start it. Sure, there's a workaround, but it's something that would be awesome if it was incorporated into the car as a whole, as one kind of goes hand in hand with the other. Enough so to where you'd think they'd be integrated.

MrFingerDrums

Post by MrFingerDrums » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 pm

live 9....SO....MUCH...FAIL

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:19 am

alex808 wrote:cubase export mp3
Only in the "full" version. Cubase Artist, Elements, LE/AI don't have it.

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 am

SpeedKing wrote:an "Export to .mp3" option would be like a dream come true.
Really? You need bigger dreams dude. :-D

Quick question, would Export to AAC help? That would still give you a compressed export format that most people could listen to without additional software, yet avoid MP3 licensing bullshit.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:43 pm

synnack wrote:
SpeedKing wrote:an "Export to .mp3" option would be like a dream come true.
Really? You need bigger dreams dude. :-D

Quick question, would Export to AAC help? That would still give you a compressed export format that most people could listen to without additional software, yet avoid MP3 licensing bullshit.
Lol, well it's more of a 'dream' only because I've thought to myself how I wish Ableton had built-in mp3 encoding probably hundreds of times. Hundreds of 'small' wishes over time has equaled one huge wish. :D As it is now, I just export as WAV and convert to mp3 fairly painlessly, but yeah, it's just that it's another 8 clicks and another program open to do it that gets to me.

And for me personally, exporting to AAC wouldn't do the trick. Well, I mean, it probably would, as most people could still listen to it, but I'd just rather have the standard MP3 format.

As I said, it's not a big deal any time that I do it, but over a period of time it has become a big deal.

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:36 pm

mp3's suck
it was good when hard drives cost lots of green backs
now flac all the way

just my 2 cents + tax

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40

jacalcag

Post by jacalcag » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:08 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:why would you want that, seriously, fire up itunes or any free mo3 converters and do it
The only reason I can find to need mp3s is for QUICK compatibility across all devices. I use the cloud-based services for mobile music playback since getting Live 9, This let's me maintain a good ratio of free space on my phone... The one option/ work around to using an mp3 converter and still have file accessibility without ever transferring is as follows.

1. "Export to Soundcloud," if you don't have one of these already, it's time to get one anyway [Andrew Rowley (Official)]. It's quick and convenient and I don't even have to stick around to watch it upload. It's great for the ride to work (The track is in my Music app by the time I start the car) and I can designate it public or private. But I suspect this would only help those in an on-the-go type situation.

Exporting to .mp3 with an online-file-transfer in mind would probably prove this method to be a waste of time, especially for embedding, but if you are into sharing and the recipient has internet, you're good to go.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:05 am

Exactly. I save my rough mixes to a Dropbox folder on which I got a lot of space (Soundcloud is already over), to stream them in the car while I'm around. Wav files take space and are heavier to stream, a quick mp3 would do fine.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

504slacker

Post by 504slacker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:45 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:why would you want that, seriously, fire up itunes or any free mo3 converters and do it
Bruh... Takes too much time. Specially if you send a few of rough mixes out daily.

Please please, Ableton Wizard, export as mp3 on the next version and I will switch over from PT completely... :)