Live 9 Beta Testers - What new features are you seeing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UCAudio

Live 9 Beta Testers - What new features are you seeing?

Post by UCAudio » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:05 pm

After reading some random posts... it looks like there are definitely new features in Live 9 that haven't been mentioned by Ableton yet. Can any beta testers confirm some of the new updates that haven't been officially mentioned, even if they are small changes?

Szuumm

Re: Live 9 Beta Testers - What new features are you seeing?

Post by Szuumm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:40 pm

The logos have been updated.

They hadn't been, but someone raised a bug report & it's fixed now.

login

Post by login » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:19 pm

There are many minor tweaks, like a more clear grid in the piano roll, some new shortcuts.

Thw way the browser works in confusing and a clear explanation in the manual will be needed, once you get the grips of it it can become a lot more usefull.

Apart form that of the new main features audio to midi works quite well with no so complex material, i tried some classical music on it and it had a hard time.

Thew new instruments in max4live are usefull (drum synths), the included orchestra samples are better than EIC 2, the preview of sounds is usefull.

One of my biggest gripe with Live has alays been lack of support for the mouse scroll wheel as zoom tool or controlling parameters, and is still not implemented :(

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:24 pm

login wrote:There are many minor tweaks, like a more clear grid in the piano roll, some new shortcuts.

Thw way the browser works in confusing and a clear explanation in the manual will be needed, once you get the grips of it it can become a lot more usefull.

Apart form that of the new main features audio to midi works quite well with no so complex material, i tried some classical music on it and it had a hard time.

Thew new instruments in max4live are usefull (drum synths), the included orchestra samples are better than EIC 2, the preview of sounds is usefull.
For beta testing you get the entire library? That's weird. You download new content already?
login wrote: One of my biggest gripe with Live has alays been lack of support for the mouse scroll wheel as zoom tool or controlling parameters, and is still not implemented :(
Agreed. I wish live used the mousewheel like other DAWs.
Professional Shark Jumper.

login

Post by login » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:00 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
For beta testing you get the entire library? That's weird. You download new content already?
Some of it: the orchestral stuff, the studio drums(studio, multimic and club), max4live library, grand piano and latin percussion.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:23 pm

So you get max for live with the beta? I thought that wasn't even 64bit yet and I thought it was Max 6 that works with it, which I thought wasn't out yet...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:26 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:So you get max for live with the beta? I thought that wasn't even 64bit yet and I thought it was Max 6 that works with it, which I thought wasn't out yet...
Max 6 has been out for over a year now.
Unsound Designer

login

Post by login » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:So you get max for live with the beta? I thought that wasn't even 64bit yet and I thought it was Max 6 that works with it, which I thought wasn't out yet...
You can use max 6, but 32 bit, there is not 64 bit m4l yet.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Max 6 has been out for over a year now.
Sorry, I meant Max for Live 6. So you get the Max for Live devices in the beta only if you own Max for Live already I assume?

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm

No, you get it all.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 pm

That's interesting because that means one could conceivably import those devices into their Live 8 library and use them. As far as I know the only thing that would prevent that is if they have some way of making M4L created in Live 9 not able to open in Live 8.
Unsound Designer

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 pm

stringtapper wrote:That's interesting because that means one could conceivably import those devices into their Live 8 library and use them. As far as I know the only thing that would prevent that is if they have some way of making M4L created in Live 9 not able to open in Live 8.
Well the only way you could import the max devices is if you own Max for Live. And I think the idea behind M4L is that you get all the devices with it, regardless of what version of Live you own. Live 9 suite doesn't give you extra M4L devices. It gives you M4L itself, which comes with all the devices. That's how I understand it.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:53 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
stringtapper wrote:That's interesting because that means one could conceivably import those devices into their Live 8 library and use them. As far as I know the only thing that would prevent that is if they have some way of making M4L created in Live 9 not able to open in Live 8.
Well the only way you could import the max devices is if you own Max for Live.
Well, of course you would need a M4L license. That's a given. What I'm saying is that because of the way M4L devices work it seems conceivable that you could open them in previous versions of Live/M4L.

Max For Live devices are coded using Max so anyone with Max For Live can open up a device, choose "Copy Compressed" from the Max tool bar and distribute the code from the device in a text file or in a forum post.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Live 9 suite doesn't give you extra M4L devices. It gives you M4L itself, which comes with all the devices.
But there are new M4L devices that presumably will not be released until Live 9, and those are the ones I'm talking about being potentially taken from the beta, distributed and opened in Live 8.
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Performance and render times are slightly better, at least with the 64 bit versions here. Posted my results in the performance test thread.

The browser is the biggest change for me day to day, but after a bit of getting used to I like it better than the old one. There's new skins now, most of the old ones are not in the current beta. Fine with me though, I love the monolake one.

The new eq and comps sound great, the adaptive Q on Eq8 sounds really smooth, and the Glue is more nuanced than I expected. The new icons and such at the top for things like session view automation recording take some getting used to. The back to arrange button disappears unless its needed, that thew me at first :)