Resampling/Recording return channels with External Effects??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nihad

Resampling/Recording return channels with External Effects??

Post by nihad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:50 pm

How do you record (resample) a return channels with External Effects in the chain??

Tell me your best prectice!

Vios

Re: Resampling/Recording return channels with External Effects??

Post by Vios » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Create an audio track. Route the original channel and the effects channels to that audio track using the I/O. Play just that track and record the audio coming into the new audio track. Doneskies!

nihad

Post by nihad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:31 pm

I just want to record the return channel, not a mix of original and return..

These are the issues I've encoutered in two scenarios;

scenario 1)

- Return channel routed to master
- Audio channel input set to return

Result: This should be the logical goto solution but unfortunally the recorded audio is way of sync/grid, and also in varying amount, depending on monitor setting ("auto", "off" or "on"), if a send is enabled on that channel, etc. The waveform recorded is simply off by 1/4 second or so, even though the return channel plays in sync.

scenario 2)

- Return routed directly to an audio channel (instead of master)
- Audio channel set to "Auto" and record enable

Result: The sound monitored and recorded is [i]mostly[/i] in sync, but seams under certain conditions (insert new plugin, etc), probably audio interruptions, to lose the delay compensation and get off sync during playback (and recording) The delay then gets dramatically higher, like in scenario 1. The solutions that works for the most part seams to be to route the returnchannel to "Master", that seams to get the audio back in sync, and then back to the audio channel.

Scenario 2 is how I work today, but the workflow could of course be radically improved ...

Is there any other way to do this that I havn't considered?

RobinHunt

Post by RobinHunt » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:50 pm

nihad wrote:I just want to record the return channel, not a mix of original and return..

These are the issues I've encoutered in two scenarios;

scenario 1)

- Return channel routed to master
- Audio channel input set to return

Result: This should be the logical goto solution but unfortunally the recorded audio is way of sync/grid, and also in varying amount, depending on monitor setting ("auto", "off" or "on"), if a send is enabled on that channel, etc. The waveform recorded is simply off by 1/4 second or so, even though the return channel plays in sync.

scenario 2)

- Return routed directly to an audio channel (instead of master)
- Audio channel set to "Auto" and record enable

Result: The sound monitored and recorded is mostly in sync, but seams under certain conditions (insert new plugin, etc), probably audio interruptions, to lose the delay compensation and get off sync during playback (and recording) The delay then gets dramatically higher, like in scenario 1. The solutions that works for the most part seams to be to route the returnchannel to "Master", that seams to get the audio back in sync, and then back to the audio channel.

Scenario 2 is how I work today, but the workflow could of course be radically improved ...

Is there any other way to do this that I havn't considered?

Hi! I just figured this out:

- I have an external Reverb on a Return track (as external effect)
- I made an audio track and recorded this Return track in real time (With Audio from, A Return)
- Make sure on the track you want to record this Return to, to disable the sends!
https://help.ableton.com/hc/article_att ... e_Send.png
- If you don't disable the sends, the delay compensation is turned OFF!