Mininova- the best Novation product I ever used.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Mininova- the best Novation product I ever used.

Post by rikhyray » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Fun synth and more. Nicely build, controls are inviting to use, play and play with, likeable sound.Very enjoyable to use controls that you can play musically with. I guess there was some input from musicians, the big filter control feels and works great, so all other knobs, like it more than Clavia G2 - which by the size (3 octaves) could be compared to. It is definitely fun gadget for live use, taking it with for next gig.
I had lots of Novation controllers original Remote, SL, SL MK II, I hope they release a controller just like Mininova, solid controls not wobbly, irritating like on all their other products.
Mininova is inexpensive but not cheap (in quality sense). I had X station too, liked the sound but it was terribly build and there were issues with the sound too, not so with Mininova- did not expect it to be that good.
It is kind of pre- release, the software is not ready, editor is existing only in internet reality (ads) but I dont mind having the instrument now, and get the rest later. At that price- must have.

Tarekith

Re: Mininova- the best Novation product I ever used.

Post by Tarekith » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 am

How are the keys, knobs and build quality? Thinking about getting a smaller synth, but it can't feel cheap.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:52 am

The best mini keys I know but of course they are mini... Knobs are excellent, as I mentioned like them more than Clavias. They are thick so feel nice to turn and filter is the best. Try it and you will know what I mean.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:24 pm

funken wrote:
rikhyray wrote: not wobbly, irritating like on all their other products
nah, you're just ham fisted mate! :D

Nice to hear you approve of the new synth anyway. I guess maybe they made it a bit more solid for gigging. The knobs on the others are a bit wobbly I guess. It's never been an issue for me though, but I only use them at home.
When you try it you will know what I mean. SL, SL MK II are not any worse compared to all other brands (except Akai MPK but those are just slightly better). Mininova`s are just another quality level. I am more into actual playing music not tweaking but with those Mininova knobs I can tweak musically, due to sensitivity and accuracy. I really hope they release a controller based on Mininova with same type of knobs, chassis and even the keys. I tried microKeys and found them to be same sh... like on any cheaper controllers. Maybe it just placebo effect (and those are same as on Korgs) anyway I truly enjoy playing Mininova. Tried running guitar through the FX and I like the sound as well.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

I tested it last week and compared it to the microkorgs and r3.

They are really different worlds in terms of quality, mininova much better.

But of course it still doesnt give you the impression of a high end synth, especially the two big knobs for filter and genre. They got nice operation feel but are still a little wobbly.

The plastic quality of the case is a little thinish although much better than korgs. And can please someone explain to me why they added those plastic side panels?

About the minikeys i agree. They're the best ones i know, but they still have that typical sqishy feeling to them a little.

Most of the presets i didn't like that much. Actually i do like that kind of music its advertised for, like heavily processed sounds, but what i heard sounded rather thin. I do believe though that its really a matter of the presets and that the engine is capable of much more.

What really surprised me was the vocoder and especially the voice tune effect. Amazing and really fresh. I wanted to get a midi controllable version of autotune that allows my to play pitch with a keyboard, but if i compare 200 euros for software or 400 for an actual hardware synth that comes with this feature as a side function the choice is clear. I wrote novation to ask if you can have external audio processed by voice tune and pitch controlled by external midi and they said its no problem. Yay :D

Oh and of course the performance features are really useable. Those buttons do feel quite good as well.

I like that synth.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:29 am

h3rtz wrote:
The plastic quality of the case is a little thinish although much better than korgs. And can please someone explain to me why they added those plastic side panels?
And these are fake wood! Utmost idiocy combined with absence of any common and aesthetic sense, may be same "designer" that did fake leather in iCal and new Ableton website

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:50 pm

I really like the look of it, and I'm sure the sound engine has made leaps, but It really seems like the interface is a huge jump backward from the X-Station. Too many parameters are hidden and there is no XY pad. The XS also had wonderful keys, I'm not sure how these compare.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Kodama wrote:The XS also had wonderful keys, I'm not sure how these compare.
Yes, yes the keys.... The Mini`s mini keys are the best I played but after a week I am replacing Mini with Ultra, mainly because of the keys. The engine is same while apart from full sized keys there is stereo input (Mini, only mono) and I really liked using the FX for guitar, it also supports Automap which I use with all my DAWs, I might drop using SL II, never got used to displaced display (not having the text above the controls makes no sense) and 2 octave keyboards frustrate me. 3 octaves is minimum for me and for "lead" synth perfect.
My verdict about Mininova - absolutely excellent value for money , specially if you like the "Novation" sound. Possibly the knobs are even better that of Ultra, that big filter was pleasure to use and there are few more little improvements that I might miss in Ultra. However I dont need 2 Novas and Ultra will be more useful for my way of working. It was worth getting it just to find out that new Novation synths are something for me.