Transfering a LOGIC session into ableton live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blj

Transfering a LOGIC session into ableton live

Post by blj » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi forum
I've made several songs in LOGIC and now i want to transfer these with there settings and instruments ( kontakt 4 ) into Ableton Live.
Whats the procedure ? do I need to start from scratch and import each track as midi !?

Yours
B

broc

Re: Transfering a LOGIC session into ableton live

Post by broc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:32 pm

In Logic you can select all tracks/regions and export them together as a single midi file.
Dragging the file into Live's arrangement will automatically create the corresponding tracks.

blj

Post by blj » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:55 pm

OK, I'll give a try :-)

blj

Post by blj » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Ok, I've saved LOGIC session as midi file ( seems to me that I don't get any choice but to save as midi also no choice regarding wether its one track all or exported to separate trck )
LOGIC > File > Export > selction as midi ...
Then i turn Ableton live on ( i cant find any possibility inside Ableton live to import midi so I drop and drag the MIDI file into Ableton Live, thus every track is named correctly. But no sound, Do I need to assign the specifik instrument within Ableton Live in order to represent my LOGIC session correctly ?
Yours
B

gazo

Post by gazo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:38 pm

What instruments and plugins are you using in your Logic projects?

You won't be able to us the Logic synths and plugins in Ableton. But you will be able to use 3rd party plugins like Kontakt. You will need to save the presets of these 3rd party plugins and then you need to load up these instruments and effects on the respective tracks in Ableton and load the presets.

If you are using the Logic plugins and effects, then you'll need bounce these individual tracks out as audio, and bring them into Ableton.

Another question may be why are you moving your tracks from Logic to Ableton? If you are wishng to move away from Logic and go towards Ableton, then you'll need to go the routes I have mentioned above and slowly move all the elements across to Ableton.

If you are just wanting to use elements of Ableton, then have you not thought of rewiring Ableton to Logic? Then you have the best of both DAWs

blj

Post by blj » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Thankyou for the answer!
I use LOGIC to produce my stuff but it seems to me that Ableton Live are more reliable and usefull in live situations therefore i want to use Ableton Live in live situations.
It works fine with assessing Kontakt in ableton Live I'll try to Bounce some of my Logic tracks wich uses Logic instruments with effects in order to be able to play alongside with them.
Again thank you for your answer.
Yours
B

blj

Post by blj » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Super thanks for the hint
Yours
B

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 am

funken wrote:If you're playing live you don't want plugins running anyway. In fact it's a whole different ball game. You just want about 6 audio tracks chopped up in session view probably. There's a thread on that at the moment here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186618
i wouldn`t say that!!!!! i`ve played sets with no audio tracks at all. only plugins.
it`s just a different way, either you want to play your pre-produced tracks or make a real live-performance.

blj

Post by blj » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:41 am

Hi Funken
Great thread, exactly what i wanted :-)

Thanks Gazo > one question : in wich situations or why do one wants to open Ableton Live inside LOGIC, for me it seems that the both do the same in two distinct different approaches.
I suppose that it gives me acces to different filters,effects etc. or do I fail to understand the concept !?
Yours
B

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:37 pm

blj,

I don't have Logic, or ReWire Live into other hosts in general, but I imagine the primary benefit would be using Live's clever session view, with Logics instruments and effects.

I imagine you can create your midi clips in Live, and route them to Logic's channels. It takes the two distinct approaches, and unites them.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

broc

Post by broc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:06 pm

ttilberg wrote:I imagine you can create your midi clips in Live, and route them to Logic's channels.
Nope. It would require that Logic runs as rewire slave which is not possible.

blj

Post by blj » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:28 pm

But i suppose the opposite is possible !?

broc

Post by broc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Yes.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:49 pm

broc wrote:
ttilberg wrote:I imagine you can create your midi clips in Live, and route them to Logic's channels.
Nope. It would require that Logic runs as rewire slave which is not possible.
Really?

Man I thought people complaining about that type of setup was just that Live won't load VSTs in Slave mode.

At that point, it really is "what is the point?" -- bummer.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:08 pm

funken wrote:If you're playing live you don't want plugins running anyway. In fact it's a whole different ball game. You just want about 6 audio tracks chopped up in session view probably. There's a thread on that at the moment here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186618
that's not really live playing then