New user question: Routing Drum Rack sound to individual FX

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Upright

New user question: Routing Drum Rack sound to individual FX

Post by Upright » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 am

Hey guys,

I'm new to Ableton. I'm taking my time going through the user manual, trying things in Live as I read about them.

I have a question about Drum Racks-

Is it possible to route the individual sounds in the Drum Rack to their own effects? As an example if I wanted to EQ a Snare how would I apply an EQ to just the snare and not the entire Drum Rack?

Thanks

simmerdown

Re: New user question: Routing Drum Rack sound to individual FX

Post by simmerdown » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 am

yep, open up the chain of the drum rack at bottom, drop the effect not at the end, but just on the right edge of the simpler/sampler of that sound...when you drag it in you will see a vertical bar kinda light up, drop

you can also just drag an effect and drop it right on that one pad in the rack, same thing

Upright

Post by Upright » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:13 am

Worked like a charm...thank you.

Seems like if I move it just a little too far to the right it effects the entire Drum Rack...you explained it perfectly. 8)

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:18 am

as a random side-note, you can also create send effects within drum racks, just thought you might want to know for future reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIn9b81H ... ure=relmfu

Upright

Post by Upright » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 am

antarktika wrote:as a random side-note, you can also create send effects within drum racks, just thought you might want to know for future reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIn9b81H ... ure=relmfu
Excellent info..thank you Antarktika!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:26 pm

You can also take all the instruments and fx on a cell (like simpler and your EQ8), right click choose "Group to DrumRack"
this nests a drumRack within the drumRack.
you will notice that you have I/O options and you can create "sends" within that rack.
those sends can be routed directly too your return tracks, OR the return Tracks on your hosting DrumRack.
this allow you to map sends from the nested rack, to the Macros of that device.
makes for a faster work flow, and accessible with the "blue hand" if you have a controller like the APC40 which supports that.

There is a Purmagnetic drum kit pack for Ableton called "TrapKit." It's really nice acoustic kit for 12 bucks.
Wether or not you are interested in an acoustic kit, it's a really great drum rack you can learn a lot from, especially about nested racks and multisampling in Ableton Live.

claytonsquire

Post by claytonsquire » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:11 pm

If you're more the visual type, and curious about routing you Drum or Instrument Rack sends to your main returns, there's a pretty good video about it here http://youtu.be/P9hCarFzPjQ which also addresses some of the other benefits of nesting racks.