Apple forgets about musicians

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
skatr2

Re: Apple forgets about musicians

Post by skatr2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:44 am

Sorry but mbps are nowhere near comparably proceed to similar laptops. Especially with the most recent retina display releases. Mbps have stayed a steady price for years and now they are600 dollars more for a base 13"model. And storage it significantly reduced.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:49 am

One could argue the iPads and idevices have forced Mac prices up because they have a very small profit margin on them. Apple beta on recouping this loss in their app store. Owning an iPhone also encourages end users to just buy a Mac because its so much simpler...justifying an inflated price to recoup profit loss.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:48 am

rikhyray wrote:Ableton is not anyones friend , it is a company so is Bitwig, if the later will give people better conditions, deals it is not because they are better humans, more user friendly, appreciating faithful fans but to grab some customers from competitors. If Propelleheads gave users better upgrade deals than anyone else is not because they love their users more than Ableton of Steinberg does, but because they run their business more efficiently, so they could afford to take some risk that in the end worked financially to their benefit.
No. That decision depends on friendship, trust and faith. This strategy wouldn't work if there wasn't. It's company's choice whether they run a business based on such friendliness or not. There are many ways to run a business. MS barely relied on such friendliness unlike Apple. I would like to see MS Office fanboy :lol:

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:15 am

My TB adapter works great with my MOTU. Ableton forum users are so grumpy lately.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Kodama wrote:My TB adapter works great with my MOTU. Ableton forum users are so grumpy lately.
That's good news indeed. Thank you.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 pm

I haven't read any of this thread, but Apple have always introduced new systems early well before anyone was ready.... I had a serial MIDI interface and printer in the mid 90s that became obsolete fairly quickly when they started going USB and firewire

but on the plus side, my macs have always lasted longer than my PCs, so I think it's safer to say that you just keep your old one for as long as you can manage it

I definitely wasted a lot more of my time on my PCs in the past

actually the main problem I have since going back to mac is I have way more time to waste on the internet talking total bollocks

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Your logic is flawed because Mac is known as a product whose life is shorter than PC. It's been pointed out and explained by many IT pros. One of the obvious example is support life cycle. Apple can't promise their OS support lifecycle because they aren't sure if they can fulfil their promise. Unlike Apple, MS officially announces support lifecycle of their OS.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:36 pm

pencilrocket wrote:Your logic is flawed because Mac is known as a product whose life is shorter than PC. It's been pointed out and explained by many IT pros. One of the obvious example is support life cycle. Apple can't promise their OS support lifecycle because they aren't sure if they can fulfil their promise. Unlike Apple, MS officially announces support lifecycle of their OS.
if that was meant for me - it's not logic, just my own experience

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:29 pm

rikhyray wrote:Apple gear was twice as expensive compared to PCs. Now, thanks to all those iPhones, iTunes,iPad etc the prices of MBPs are practically same if not lower as of PC laptop of comparable quality, usable for music production ( someone must be real Apple hater or stuck with some softwares to buy overpriced Lenovos or OEMs tuned by Rain or similar companies).
disagree. MBPs cost way more than similarly spec'ed Lenovos (among others).
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 pm

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:41 pm

H20nly wrote:
rikhyray wrote:Apple gear was twice as expensive compared to PCs. Now, thanks to all those iPhones, iTunes,iPad etc the prices of MBPs are practically same if not lower as of PC laptop of comparable quality, usable for music production ( someone must be real Apple hater or stuck with some softwares to buy overpriced Lenovos or OEMs tuned by Rain or similar companies).
KIA or Dacia might have similar spec (4 wheels for example) as BMW. Chinese guitars have mostly 6 strings and are made of some sort of wood but it does not make it Fender or PRS.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:07 pm

rikhyray wrote:
H20nly wrote:
KIA or Dacia might have similar spec (4 wheels for example) as BMW. Chinese guitars have mostly 6 strings and are made of some sort of wood but it does not make it Fender or PRS.

so what's your [new] point? you said they're the same price but they're not.

MBPs clock in at over 2000 USD. you can get a lot of laptops for well (3 to 7 hundred USD) under that... Lenovos included - i know, i have one.

don't take my word for it though:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... US-KWG-PLA

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... KLSZIbzpmE

i see roughly a 1000 dollar difference give or take 200. ironically[?], the MBPs have weaker processors.

so...
rikhyray wrote: the prices of MBPs are practically same if not lower as of PC laptop of comparable quality, usable for music production
is not a true statement.

but....
rikhyray wrote: the prices of USED MBPs are practically same if not lower as of NEW PC laptop of comparable quality, usable for music production
could be :wink:

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:39 am

Comparable in overall quality for the purpose of music production I meant something like ADK or perhaps Vaio Z. Regarding Lenovo there is serious regional price difference. When I was looking for Thinkpad few years back I checked US site, the price was 1600$ but they refused my order, had to buy from European site and it was way over 2000$ for same configuration. There is no such huge difference US vs Germany in case of Apple, I could save maybe 200 € buying Lenovo but if not anything else, that difference gets easily recovered due to very high resale value of Apple products here. I upgrade every year or 2 and it cost me just few hundred.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:58 am

well, if you decide to switch to Lenovo later... let me know. you can send me the money and some good German beer... and i'll send you the US priced computer. :wink:

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 am

rikhyray wrote:
H20nly wrote:
You are comparing treetop completely different market types there. Like it our not, apple has the same guts as any other pc. Their"quality" relies on their pretty unibody aluminum shell...yet the insides are stool Intel and third party makers. If apple still made their processors, I could see a valid argument on their quality or product life. But at the end of the day there's all the same parts with different os running them. I personally think the os is the premium they sell. While ms charges 150 to upgrade, apple already charged its premium in initial buy and looks better when they charge 30 for their later updates.