Operator Love Thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
condra

Operator Love Thread

Post by condra » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:15 am

Hands up if you love Operator!

Man, I've loved Operator for a couple of years already, but it still continues to impress me.
It's so well integrated into Live, and has a huge amount of power, in this really understated GUI.

I don't think people realise how far beyond FM this synth it goes. It's a truly versatile semi-modular hybrid synth at this stage, and coupled with Lives built in effects, the sonic potential is huge.

Was experimenting this evening with using Operator without any FM - so just additive and subtractive synthesis.

That Low Ladder Filter sounds as good as any of the best Analogue Emulations IMO. And the Filter Shaper Drive feature is amazing, especially when you consider that it can be modulated by LFO/Velocity etc.

Add to that your Oscillator feedback, loop modes, and don't get me started on custom oscillators.

Brilliant synth and a pleasure to work with.

That's all.

PS - here are some bass patches I made
http://www.vstreview.com/operator_bass1.zip
Last edited by condra on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simmerdown

Re: Operator Love Thread

Post by simmerdown » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:32 am

i'm just a preset tweeker (got other fish to fry) BUT i love operator, every track i use it one way or another

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:14 am

Don't forget the low CPU usage. Find another FM synth that you can load up and make a full drum kit with 10 instances with that low of a CPU hit! It's the swiss army knife of all things.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:53 am

Sounds so clean, yet so dirty :P and the minimalist approach is very performance friendly. Every parameter seems to glide effortlessly, as with all Ableton devices. That buttery smoothness is something easy to overlook.

Also, as an additive synth, just today I was using the even/odd selections to 'spice up' a triangle wave :P

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:41 am

I picked up this synth on Friday and it has been great. I worked all weekend and still picked it up pretty well. I plan on taking some time with it on my days off.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:48 am

A proper FM synth but with a resonant filter = dream synth!
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 am

+1. Its one of the best things about Live. I have to find reasons to use other synths because it's so easy to realise ideas in, or to experiment with sound design.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:23 am

Agreed funken - Operator is a brilliant tool for learning about harmonics, and how they relate to oscillator shapes.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 am

I agree :D

Operator is a very nice bit of kit to use,although I'm only starting to enjoy its qualities,lol
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Nice synth, had it for ages but still feel like there's so much more I could be doing with it.

I wouldn't mind another LFO though...

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:14 pm

simonlb wrote:Nice synth, had it for ages but still feel like there's so much more I could be doing with it.

If you own Max for Live or Live 9 Suite you have as many as you want. :-D
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 pm

100% in love with it, to the point that I barely use anything else. It's so good that I really, really, really wish Abelton would put out a dedicated hardware controller for it.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:42 pm

yes, Operator is really something. If you're looking for some inspiration, or just to see how far you can go with it, I heavily recommend checking out Christian Kleine's free patches: http://www.christiankleine.com/ck/random.html

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:56 pm

synnack wrote:
simonlb wrote:Nice synth, had it for ages but still feel like there's so much more I could be doing with it.

Guess I'd better start saving then :(

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:19 pm

simonlb wrote:
synnack wrote:

Guess I'd better start saving then :(
One of my fav tricks is to put a M4L LFO on the waveform chooser of Operator. So over time the different OSC in Operator move between different wav form shapes making dynamic and unpredictable sounds.