ipod

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:26 am

I was not able to access my music stored on my ipod using traktor 2.62 demo.

Tried by pointing the directory to my ipod during system setup and the ipod was available but the music was not.

Also tried by accessing the ipod in traktors explorer and dragging it into the track collection.

However, files placed on the ipod in hard disk mode were available.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:34 am

Thanks smutek.

And it's interesting to notice what angstrom suggests about the way Live 5 works, decompressng mp3 to the local hard disk...
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:59 am

Yes, that almost defeats the purpose of using an external hd doesn't it?

As far as traktor goes, apparently using version 2 you can access songs directly from the ipod without using hard disk mode.

But, as I said and I tried again to be sure, I was unable to access my ipod using the demo of version 2.66 or whatever the latest is.

I am very curious about this now and will have a look around the ni forums. I'll get back if/when I finnd something out if you are still interested.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:08 am

Yeah, i'd love to hear the results of your investigation, thanks buddy!

Saludos!
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:22 am

not sure why we are on about this being ableton users and all, but what the hell,

Regarding the ipod and traktor:apparently there is a bug in the 2.62 release that only effects the mac platform, i didn't read through all of these as it is time for me to hit the sack but have a look for yourself:

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/forum_u ... light=ipod

From what I understand this is being addressed.

Also of note - but off topic - is this thread: Ableton 5 announced and look out NI!

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/forum_u ... hp?t=25845

Seem's a lot of heads over there are pretty excited about what Ableton is bringing to the table for dj's. I read through 2 pages of it, an interesting discussion.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:25 pm

:lol:
that's a really funny forum thread from my 'non DJ' point of view.
This is a licence for people with no musical talent to inflict their attempts at musicality on an audience.

Musicians and producers make records - DJ's play them.
:lol:

DJ Trocca

Post by DJ Trocca » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:40 pm

It looks like the ipod is not a good choice to be used as a 2nd. HD and the better choice is to buy the FASTEST firewire HD. :?
Mac Book Pro
OSX 10.6.X
RME - Fireface UCX
NI - Maschine
Akai APC40
http://www.facebook.com/marianotrocca

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:48 pm

There are some mighty thoughtfull posts in that thread. This is a good one:

"I think a lot of people are missing the point of Live entirely. With Ableton Live, distinctions between live play, DJing, remixing, producing, etc., are not just blurred, they're pretty much removed. That's what's exciting about the software--its potential is enormous.........It's only gonna get more cuisinarted, so y'all better start getting used to it. Cuz the people who take advantage of this technology aren't concerned at all with definitions, just results."

jtpack

Post by jtpack » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:16 pm

Okay, here's how to use the iPod to DJ in Windows XP:

1) Point Live5's browser at: (your iPod drive):\iPod_Control\Music. Press the Root Button to set that folder as the root folder for the browser. If you can't see this folder in Windows Explorer, it's just because it is a hidden folder. It seems like Live5 sees the folder anyways.

2) All of your mp3s have been randomly distributed amongst the many subfolders of the "iPod_Control\Music" folder. You can either try to find specific files yourself, or use the Search function of the new browser. You have to search by filename.

The extent of the iPod's "protection" of your mp3s is this: They've simply put the files in a subfolder of a hidden folder and randomly distributed the files between its many automatically-generated subfolders (currently 50 subfolders on my 30GB iPod Photo).
Windows XP, Live 5.2, Pro Tools LE 7.1cs7, Reason 3.0.4, M-Audio Delta 410, MBOX, Synthmaker

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:49 pm

smutek wrote:There are some mighty thoughtfull posts in that thread.
An interesting angle on Final Scratch too -
it has always seemed to me that Final Scratch is -- with the obvious exception of scratch DJs -- an expensive way of cosmetically appearing as if you aren't using a computer in front of a crowd.

but you can also smell the fear off some of the people.

there is a common angle of "but what if we don't actually have any talent ... won't we get horribly exposed by this" , that seems to underlie a lot of the comments

also the idea that Ableton users are forced into cutting their tracks up into small chunks and being creative rather than it being a choice that is available.

The funniest thing for me is that emulating a standard old style 2 deck DJ set in Live reduces the process to simplicity itself (after you have made sure everything is warp markered) .
Which kind of exposes the remaining part of standard old style DJing to extreme scrutiny .. the mythical 'track selection' woo!

and on that forum they are arguing that the crowd wants to hear what everyone else is playing rather than creative material. So what kind of a selection is that?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:30 pm

I had a dream Chris Liebing was blowing up this huge party with 2 ipods (this was shortly after I saw him blow up a party with two powerbooks)

anywayz - can't you just save wav or aiff files onto your ipod (granted they take up alot of space) but depending on the gig you just load up the beats you want in a folder and go

the aiff and wav files will show up in the Live browser correct?

ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

siddhu

Chris Liebing was blowing up

Post by siddhu » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:34 am

djadonis206 wrote:I had a dream Chris Liebing was blowing up this huge party with 2 ipods (this was shortly after I saw him blow up a party with two powerbooks)
Can you tell us about this gig? What was he using? The crowd's reaction, etc.