Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
Paladino

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by Paladino » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Jesse, thanks for your attention.
Here goes one more question:

With Ableton Push, can I pre-define the lenght of the clips before recording them on session view? So I just press record and then the the clip start recording, I record something, and then when it reaches the previous lenght I defined, lets say a 4 bars loop, the clip ends and start looping.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Paladino wrote:Hi Jesse, thanks for your attention.

With Ableton Push, can I pre-define the lenght of the clips before recording them on session view? So I just press record and then the the clip start recording, I record something, and then when it reaches the previous lenght I defined, lets say a 4 bars loop, the clip ends and start looping.
Good question. My guess is that it's possible with midi since you can create an empty midi clip and I think you can change the length from Push (not sure). But I'd love to hear if it's possible for audio clips. I'm guessing not since you can't do that from the software?
Professional Shark Jumper.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Yes. Press and hold the "Fixed Length" button to set the value. You can then toggle Fixed Length on off for fixed or infinite recordings. Another cool trick: while recording an 'infinite' recording, if you press "Fixed Length" it will loop the last X measures of your recording. This is how I work: press record, jam for awhile until I get a result I like, then press fixed length to loop the last 2 measures.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Jesse wrote:Yes. Press and hold the "Fixed Length" button to set the value. You can then toggle Fixed Length on off for fixed or infinite recordings. Another cool trick: while recording an 'infinite' recording, if you press "Fixed Length" it will loop the last X measures of your recording. This is how I work: press record, jam for awhile until I get a result I like, then press fixed length to loop the last 2 measures.

That's awesome news.

Sidenote: what is the first bass sound you use in the preview event video performance? I love it. Operator?
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Paladino

Post by Paladino » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Jesse wrote:Yes. Press and hold the "Fixed Length" button to set the value. You can then toggle Fixed Length on off for fixed or infinite recordings. Another cool trick: while recording an 'infinite' recording, if you press "Fixed Length" it will loop the last X measures of your recording. This is how I work: press record, jam for awhile until I get a result I like, then press fixed length to loop the last 2 measures.

Yeah, that's amazing, simply perfect!

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Sidenote: what is the first bass sound you use in the preview event video performance? I love it. Operator?
Thanks - It's a rack with 2 parallel Operators, the preset "Bass-Hip-hop Sub" for low end, and another preset I made for Operator/Saturator/Overdrive/Amp/Cabinet/EQ8/Compressor/Overdrive/Flanger (I think I learned sound design by addition ;) Happy to give you the preset, but I made it in 9, so just let me know if/when you beta test or get upgrade. I'll try to post the whole set later.
Jesse

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Awesome. In the meantime, it will be a fun test to try to recreate it on my own. Thanks man.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

chymera

Post by chymera » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi!

I am currently using 2 launchpads live, one to launch clips and the other as a step sequencer. The script I am using allows me to enter notes on the piano roll in a midi clip. however the step sequencer would have been practically useless in live performance without the ability to "lock" to a particular clip, initially the script did not allow this, but I emailed the progammer and he added it in in a matter of minutes. Please tell me there is a way to lock to a midi clip so that when I launch any other clip in the set, the step sequencer will still only be inputting notes to the original midi clip and associated drum rack of choice ?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:06 am

chymera wrote:Hi!

I am currently using 2 launchpads live, one to launch clips and the other as a step sequencer. The script I am using allows me to enter notes on the piano roll in a midi clip. however the step sequencer would have been practically useless in live performance without the ability to "lock" to a particular clip, initially the script did not allow this, but I emailed the progammer and he added it in in a matter of minutes. Please tell me there is a way to lock to a midi clip so that when I launch any other clip in the set, the step sequencer will still only be inputting notes to the original midi clip and associated drum rack of choice ?
Can't you just toggle that in Live's preferences?

anyon

Post by anyon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Is the LCD clearly visible at a low (like below 45 degrees) angle?

On my microKontrol the LCD is only visible when looking almost straight down and it makes it nearly unusable when it's in front of me on my desk.

Thanks for all the great info!

the bite

Post by the bite » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Paladino wrote:Hi Jesse, thanks for your attention.

I found a device on max for live library that allows to do that, it,s incredible how many devices and possibilities,maybe it helps you until you get Push ;)
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/index ... p+recorder

chymera

Post by chymera » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 pm

delicioso wrote:
chymera wrote:Hi!

Can't you just toggle that in Live's preferences?
Do you mean the toggle for "select on launch" ? that's no good. The thing is, that I do need to select various clips that I launch subsequently. The clip lock function that I have with the step sequencer allows me to select any other clip I want, but the step sequencer is always tied to the original one where I wish to input the notes.. Jesse please confirm there is a function like this..

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:31 pm

If they got Hanz Petrov to work on it then I'm in - the UI for his step sequencer for the APC40 is so intuitive - glad they had the sense to collaborate.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 am

I noticed in one of the videos there appears to be two velocities while in step sequence mode. Is this dictated by by how long you hold down the pad/s or the pressure applied to them?

edit: never mind, I just watched it again and it seems there is an accent button that was pushed.

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Jesse..

Is it possible to map two controllers to the same area in the session view at the same time?

Id love to build up my grid live with push but still having the faders and potis from the apc 40 on the same channels and clips i made with push....

Means.. Id love to have my control over the session view with the apc 40 like i do in my live situation right now..... But making new stuff on the fly with push - "filling" up the session view....

Another one: can i put effect devices on my channels to use them for mixing between clips and using dj-esque effects?

All the best, philip