Does Ableton Even Care What People Want?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
T-Top

Does Ableton Even Care What People Want?

Post by T-Top » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Do they even read this forum?
The most requested feature is dual monitor support, on this forum, on YouTube, on their facebook page, on google, but Ableton hasn't said a word about it.

Any acknowledgement would be nice, even if they say "no, we will never support dual monitors"
It's a very simple programming operation to do, and the ability to have clip view in one monitor and arrangement in another is too awesome to ignore.

I don't know why they would continue to ignore this, it would make a lot of sense for them to add in this feature that so many people want. It doesn't need to be a whole new version, a teeny simple update to the coding in Live 9 could make this possible.

infernal.machine

Re: Does Ableton Even Care What People Want?

Post by infernal.machine » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 pm

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 pm

ImageImage

dual belly-ache support

violetpow1

Post by violetpow1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:56 pm

In all of the wishes of the user i see two features that was realized. The clip envelopes and the better browser.
The rest is the old crap, no GUI improvements, no dual monitor, no better metering, no multi clip editing, no nothing....
I'm asking myself why do they asking the user before?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:25 am

Ableton obviously does pay attention to what people want because they have been constantly adding features to the program. What about MIDI (in Live 4 back in 2004!), racks, grouping, new plugins, groove patterns, step recording, crossfades, changes to warping, controller integration (APC, Launchpad, Push), Max4Live?

That doesn't mean everybody gets everything they want :|

You think that dual monitor support is the most requested feature...instead think of it this way: what percentage of all users even have dual monitors? Laptop users typically don't.

It's not like Live has multiple floating windows like Cubase does or lets you detach sections like Reason does. Dual monitor support implies deciding what's visible on each monitor and I'll take a wild guess that there's no real consensus about that. Do people want Session on one screen and Arrange on the other? Do people want a Session to span two screens? Do people want the browser and editors to be on one screen and Session/Arrange on the other? Which screen should third party GUIs pop up on?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:38 am

Users want nothing but Humming feature!! :twisted: Humming is all!

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Most likely they just need more good SW engineers...

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:29 am

Recording automation into Session View and 64bit version are two of the MOST requested user features of all time and they have just implemented both. I tend to think that's exactly caring what people want.

Don't forget making a 64bit version is a major project. So much of the fundamental low level code has to be completely redone. What Ableton has done to give us the top user requested features has taken years.

I think there is a whole bunch of stuff still left to do, like the features you mentioned, but if you really look at what they did, it's very user driven.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:30 am

synnack wrote: I think there is a whole bunch of stuff still left to do, like the features you mentioned, but if you really look at what they did, it's very user driven.
That's a reply!

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:31 am

I think that single monitor is deeply rooted in the philosophy of Live.

As a performance instrument that can work on a laptop.

It may never happen - the thing that is starting to bother me a lot is just that I can't have 2 editors open at the same time - like a 2 midi editors is painful.

And why can I resize vertically the midi editor and not the drum/instrument racks?

If you have 127 slots filled editing in that tiny window at the bottom is hard work...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:00 pm

I made a midi mixer in Reaktor, is that dual monitor support?
No, and neither is a static mixer made in m4l.

In reality: the request is misnamed.
What is needed is a flexible interface, with screensets. That means single and multi monitors would all benefit. The same interface you all love, panes in a single interface, but the panes can be moved around. The configuaration saved. That would benefit DJs , performers, studio people, artists. All with 1,2,3 or more monitors. In any situation on any hardware,

hec

Post by hec » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:15 am

The best Ableton minds have gone to Bitwig. Get use to buying hardware like Push now, Ableton has now adopted the Avid formula.

hmj

Post by hmj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:16 am

To add to that, of course they care. The more features they can add without losing the core essence of the program the better. The more people will praise Ableton for being so great.

However, it all comes down programmers that can write fast and be innovative with code. Those people, the ones responsible for all the great things in Ableton right now have left for BitWig. They left an unfinished masterpiece behind so we'll be fine for a while but things will move a lot slower. Wwe'll have to make the most out of their great work until Gerhard Behles manages to recruit some new stars, which believe me is what keeps him up at night and wakes him up early in the morning.

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:51 am

I think it's fairly obvious that they care what people want, but I think you're somewhat overestimating the demand for this feature in Ableton.

younameit

Post by younameit » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:24 pm

ableton are obviously missing the basics. channel groups in version 8 of a sequencer? no internal midi channel routing? templates? the list is long.
these are sort of things every newcomer sequencer can do..