add affect to only 1 clip of a track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
venomski

add affect to only 1 clip of a track

Post by venomski » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:24 pm

Hello,

i'm new to ableton but i have a question and i don't seem to find the answer.

I use ableton in the session view. When i add an instrument (a clip) the program creates a track, right? Now, then i add the same instrument to the second line of that track (so, to the second scene). I use a different pattern for this instrument etc... and everything is working fine.

Now: when i apply an effect to the clip from the first scene the effect is also applied to all the clips from that track!

How can i apply an effect to 1 clip from 1 track? And how do i apply an effect to 1 clip from 1 track and another effect to another clip from that same track?

Or do i have to make a new track for the same instrument to be able to apply another effect to that clip?

i you'll understand my problem.

thanks in advance...

DJ VAKIS

Re: add affect to only 1 clip of a track

Post by DJ VAKIS » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:38 pm

venomski wrote:Hello,

i'm new to ableton but i have a question and i don't seem to find the answer.

I use ableton in the session view. When i add an instrument (a clip) the program creates a track, right? Now, then i add the same instrument to the second line of that track (so, to the second scene). I use a different pattern for this instrument etc... and everything is working fine.

Now: when i apply an effect to the clip from the first scene the effect is also applied to all the clips from that track!

How can i apply an effect to 1 clip from 1 track? And how do i apply an effect to 1 clip from 1 track and another effect to another clip from that same track?

Or do i have to make a new track for the same instrument to be able to apply another effect to that clip?

i you'll understand my problem.

thanks in advance...
You have to play with the envelops to do this.Click the clip that you don't want to have an effect(Delay)at the botom you see:clip-Launch-sample-envelop.Click envelop select delay and set the dry-wet to -50%.
Now every time you play that clip you want hear the effect.
I hope it helps.
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

venomski

Post by venomski » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:59 pm

i don't understand your solution.

So i have two clips (the same instruments) in 1 track. I add an effect to the first clip, i select the second clip, i go to the envelope but i don't see dry-wet...

I only see "pitchbend, pan, zoom, linked,..."

Daim

Post by Daim » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:05 pm

samplitude can do that, would be a nice feature in live

udp

Post by udp » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Live 7 manual pp219-224. Happy reading. :D
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

venomski

Post by venomski » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:32 pm

udp wrote:Live 7 manual pp219-224. Happy reading. :D
That section handles the creation of racks, but i can't find how to apply one effect to 1 clip of a track and another effect to another clip of that same track...

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:36 pm

venomski wrote:
udp wrote:Live 7 manual pp219-224. Happy reading. :D
That section handles the creation of racks, but i can't find how to apply one effect to 1 clip of a track and another effect to another clip of that same track...
A track is a track. Different clips do not have different audio routings. You'll have to load all the effects you'll want for the track, and have them off when you don't want them.

You can use clip envelopes to automate an effect being on or off, so for the clip you want an effect for, automate it to be ON. You can also render the clip (or freeze/flatten) with the effect if it's an audio track and then remove the effect.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

jeffb01

Post by jeffb01 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:36 pm

choose envelopes for the effect (not the instrument) and as long as the dry wet is choosable for that effect each clip can have different amounts of that effect applied. I tested it and it works fine...

udp

Post by udp » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:32 pm

jeffb01 wrote:choose envelopes for the effect (not the instrument) and as long as the dry wet is choosable for that effect each clip can have different amounts of that effect applied. I tested it and it works fine...
I'm not sure which version of live the O.P. is using. Regardless you could alternatively automate the effect to turn on or off during that clip. The section I referred to talks about clip envelopes. The easiest way to control an effect for one clip is to use clip envelopes. If venomski will tell us which version he's using I can post the specific pages for his manual. I have them all from 1.5 on. Clip envelopes came into being in version 3 I believe.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

RandomBeat

Post by RandomBeat » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:45 pm

couldnt he also use a send, and automate the sends accordingly thru arrangement view?

in other words, route your first effect on send a, second effect on send b, and so on, then thru arrangement mode, automate which send is sent for each sequenced clip....

hope that helps! :D
every other monday --LiveCast @ ibreaks.co.uk-- 5-7pm EST

DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:13 pm

This is the beauty of Ableton Live.You can do 1 thing in many ways.
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:55 am

Sorry to resurrect a really, really old thread, but I was using Google, and this is the closest thing that came up on this forum that I found (using my search string). And it applies to my question, from 5 years after this discussion...

So, in Session View, I have Guitar1 and I'm doubling it for this clip in question with Guitar2, and there are ~15 clips in session view. On the very last clip I want to have the song end with a sort of decaying delayed effect (and it will be a tweaking of the "Filter Delay" audio effect). So, you guys are saying I have to apply the filter delay to both Guitar1 and Guitar2, and then go back into the 28 clips (14 previous on each of the two guitars) that I DON'T want to use the filter delay on, and make sure all of that is off. And this is the only way to have the delay effect I'm looking for on the very last chord of the song?

If that's the case, then that's the case. But that seems pretty crazy that if you decide after 5, 10, 20, etc. clips that you want a certain effect on one part of the 21st clip, you have to add the effect to the whole track, then go back to all the previous ones and make sure that effect is turned off.

I feel like I HAVE to be missing something here (but I've searched, I really have).

Thanks guys.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:06 am

SpeedKing wrote:Sorry to resurrect a really, really old thread, but I was using Google, and this is the closest thing that came up on this forum that I found (using my search string). And it applies to my question, from 5 years after this discussion...

So, in Session View, I have Guitar1 and I'm doubling it for this clip in question with Guitar2, and there are ~15 clips in session view. On the very last clip I want to have the song end with a sort of decaying delayed effect (and it will be a tweaking of the "Filter Delay" audio effect). So, you guys are saying I have to apply the filter delay to both Guitar1 and Guitar2, and then go back into the 28 clips (14 previous on each of the two guitars) that I DON'T want to use the filter delay on, and make sure all of that is off. And this is the only way to have the delay effect I'm looking for on the very last chord of the song?

If that's the case, then that's the case. But that seems pretty crazy that if you decide after 5, 10, 20, etc. clips that you want a certain effect on one part of the 21st clip, you have to add the effect to the whole track, then go back to all the previous ones and make sure that effect is turned off.

I feel like I HAVE to be missing something here (but I've searched, I really have).

Thanks guys.
If Guitar 1 and Guitar 2 are both clips on the same track, then yes, you would have to go turn the effect off for all of them except for the one you want via clip envelopes. However, you could also just move that one clip to a different track and put the effect on that just with just the one clip on it. Then you have the effect only on the clip you want and not the others without any hassle at all. why do they all have to be on the same track?
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:16 am

synnack wrote:
SpeedKing wrote:Sorry to resurrect a really, really old thread, but I was using Google, and this is the closest thing that came up on this forum that I found (using my search string). And it applies to my question, from 5 years after this discussion...

Thanks guys.
If Guitar 1 and Guitar 2 are both clips on the same track, then yes, you would have to go turn the effect off for all of them except for the one you want via clip envelopes. However, you could also just move that one clip to a different track and put the effect on that just with just the one clip on it. Then you have the effect only on the clip you want and not the others without any hassle at all. why do they all have to be on the same track?
Hah, awesome workaround actually. They don't have to be on the same track, so that's exactly what I'll do, is just Duplicate Guitar1 and Guitar2 to a Guitar3 and Guitar4 and apply the effects there. I didn't even think of that. Thanks dude.

shootdaj

Post by shootdaj » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:46 am

[Edited for clarity. Bold=Name shown in Live or in Info View]
There's a much easier solution to this using MIDI/Audio Effect Racks and using their chains:

1. Add a new Effect Rack (MIDI or Audio) to the track - the track that contains the clips on which you want to apply the different effects.

2. Add a new chain to the Effect Rack - this will be the default chain - through which the unaffected clips will play. Rename it to "DEFAULT" or something similar to describe that there are no effects in that chain. Do not add any effects to this chain.

3. Expand the Chain List in the Effect Rack (Show/Hide Chain List - 2nd button from top on the left sidebar of the rack). Click the Chain button next to the Hide button.

5. Set the Chain Zone for the DEFAULT chain from 0 to 0 by dragging the chain Zone's left and right ends (like you drag the ends of a loop in MIDI clips) - 0 is the default for all clips so all clips will play through this chain unless their envelope is changed to select another chain.

5. Add another chain.

6. Add a new effect to the chain you just added - for example: AutoFilter. You can add additional effects on top of the AutoFilter/whatever effect you added. Make sure the same chain is selected and drop it inside the Effect Rack to the right of the first effect. The right border of the Effect Rack is thin so this might take a few tries (lol at least it took me a few tries to get it).

7. Rename the chain to the clip's name + " Effect Chain" or something similar. For example: AutoFilter Effect Chain.

8. Expand the Chain List in the Effect Rack.

9. Set the chain to only trigger for a specific range. For example: from 1 to 1 (this allows 128 clips to have their unique set of effects because there are 128 chain selector values).

10. Double click the clip you want to add the effect (or effects) on

11. Open its clip envelope (E button in the Clip View on the bottom)

12. Set [Audio/MIDI] Effect Rack's Chain Selector to 1 (or whatever value(s) you set the chain Zone to in Step 9). When this clip plays, it will temporary set the Chain Selector to 1 (or whatever value(s) you set the chain Zone to in Step 9) and will play only through that(those) chain(s) - in this case, the chain you added effects to earlier. The Chain Selector is reset to 0 when the clip is done playing. This way, all the other clips are unaffected because their envelopes default to chain 0 which has no effects in it.

Now, what is happening is this: When you play any regular (non-effected) clip, it will play through the DEFAULT chain, which has no effects in it (because envelopes for chain selectors default to 0 when adding a new Effect Rack). When you play the effected clip, its envelope is set to change the chain selector to 1. When the chain selector goes to 1, it plays the clip through the AutoFilter Effect Chain which has the AutoFilter effect in it. And this way it will apply the effect to the clip and this clip only. Repeat for additional clips. Voila!

P.S.: This method can also be used for putting different sets of instruments on different clips in the same track. Really comes in handy when you need to organize clips in one track but tweak an instrument for individual clips or simply have multiple instruments in the same track, for example, to have a different instrument on each clip of the track.
Last edited by shootdaj on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.