Thinking of switching to live, not sure.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Insayn

Thinking of switching to live, not sure.

Post by Insayn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 am

I currently use FLStudio to make electronic music. Lots of people use live and say it is a really great program, i really want to use live but i tried the demo and it didn't make a lot of sense. What should I do?

Thanks!

~Insayn
www.soundcloud.com/insayn

Tarekith

Re: Thinking of switching to live, not sure.

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:29 am

You're asking people on the Ableton Live forum, what do you think they're going to tell you to do?

:D

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:51 am

shoulda asked at the beginning of the demo, we specialize in 'WTF!'

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:09 am

For what? Composing? Keep doing it on FL as it has better piano roll, envelope follower, envelope generator, wave editor, automation for modulation, etc... For live performance, you can demo and check how you will like the Session view. Session view is true nature of this software. Warped audio clip, launch mode, recordable clip slot, etc...

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:34 am

Try the 30 day demo of suite and give it a chance dont just dive straight into buying if youre not sure.
windows 8.1, amd fx 6300 3.5ghz , amd radeon 7850 2gb gfx card, GA-78LMT-USB3 rev5.0 mobo, 16 gb ram , 7200 rpm hd , steinberg ur22 interface, cubase 8.0.35 pro , ableton live 9 suite

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:48 am

Don't switch unless you have a reason to.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:49 am

You should panic!
ImageImage

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:45 am

You've tried the demo.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:49 am

Lots of people use FL Studio and say it is a really great program, what's your point exactly?

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:08 pm

pencilrocket wrote:For what? Composing? Keep doing it on FL as it has better piano roll, envelope follower, envelope generator, wave editor, automation for modulation, etc... For live performance, you can demo and check how you will like the Session view. Session view is true nature of this software. Warped audio clip, launch mode, recordable clip slot, etc...
Are you sure about the automation being better?

I used Cubase for years to write songs and I much prefer Ableton Live.

I initially came to Live because of Session view but then gradually started to love the arrangement view - apart from midi editing I find it much much better for writing music than Cubase.

Use the trial - there's the 30 day proper trial and then you can keep using it forever without saving your work - which in effect means an infinite trial....

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:15 pm

I think Ableton is worth a try, if nothing else than for Session View. I've been a musician for almost 15 years now (guitar (electric and classical), bass and keyboard/piano), who has always written songs in a linear fashion, and has done fine with that. It works, and it's been how people have written and thought about songs for years. But not since actual instruments have been invented has there been a tool as conducive to trying musical ideas out and general songwriting as Session View.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:57 pm

ian_halsall wrote:Are you sure about the automation being better?
Yeah at least for me it works better. Clip that works handy in freely arrangable playlist, sliceable, no worry with over writing existing data, freely transformable envelope:Single curve, Smooth stairs, Wave, Smooth,..., etc.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:01 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
Yeah at least for me it works better. Clip that works handy in freely arrangable playlist, sliceable, no worry with over writing existing data, freely transformable envelope:Single curve, Smooth stairs, Wave, Smooth,..., etc.
Ok yeah - I hear you on that.

But I learned to work around that stuff - just click off the track arm buttons for the midi.

No lanes/takes for automation is limiting but because it is so stable I am willing to forgive....

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:14 pm

ian_halsall wrote:But I learned to work around that stuff - just click off the track arm buttons for the midi.
That method would work for automation recording. I think I can't directly record midi notes on the track after I prepared the automation that are asigned to midi controller beforehand. The overwriting fear arise also when moving parent midi clip, this is what I meant to say in the previous post...

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:22 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
Ok yeah - I hear you on that.

But I learned to work around that stuff - just click off the track arm buttons for the midi.

No lanes/takes for automation is limiting but because it is so stable I am willing to forgive....